UpToDate® topics provide numerous helpful features. See the following for further information.
At the beginning of each UpToDate® topic is a section that contains information about the contributors for the topic. You can click on any of the headings in this section to display a separate window that shows the academic titles for all authors, deputy editors, and section editors for the topic. In that window, you can also click the Peer reviewers for this specialty link to see the peer reviewers, and you can click the Contributor disclosure link to view disclosure statements for all of the contributors.
Directly below the contributor section, each UpToDate topic displays the date of the last literature review and the date on which the topic was last updated. You can also move your mouse pointer over "(More)" to view additional information. We continuously monitor the literature and update the relevant topics with important new medical findings as needed.
Medline abstracts are integrated into UpToDate® topics for all relevant references. You can click on a linked reference (either within the body of the topic or in the References section at the bottom) to display the Medline abstract for that reference.
UpToDate® has thousands of graphics incorporated into the topics. The links to these graphics appear in parentheses in the topic text — for example, (show figure 1) or (show table 2).
Within the topic outline, the Graphics section lists all associated graphics by type. You can view all graphics, only those of a select type (i.e. all TABLES) or an individual graphic.
Click on a graphic link to display the associated graphic in a separate window. All graphics can be printed or made into slides.
Click on the View All link to see all graphics for the topic. Or click on a type (example PICTURES) to see only graphics of that type. A lightbox shows all images in a thumbnail view.
Within the lightbox, click on the title of the graphic to view individually. Individual graphics may be printed, emailed or exported to PowerPoint.
The UpToDate® drug information database contains drug information topics that include information about usual dosage, adverse reactions, and more.
Click on a linked drug name in a topic to display the associated drug information topic in a separate window. You can also access drug information topics by searching on drug names.
UpToDate topics include a set of topic tools at the upper right part of the screen.
- Bookmark (desktop, mobile apps) — Allows for saving a topic for subsequent reference.
- On the desktop, when you click Bookmark, the Bookmark label will change to yellow and Unbookmark. The yellow Unbookmark will be seen on future visits to this topic. To remove this bookmark, click Unbookmark.
- On the iPhone, click the white star outline at the bottom. The star will become a solid star when bookmarked. To remove the bookmark, click the star again.
- On an Android device, when viewing a topic click the Menu button, click More and click Add Bookmark.
- Find — Allows you to easily locate specific text by highlighting all occurrences of the text within the topic. Click here for further information about using this tool.
- Patient — Provides direct access to the Information for Patients section of the topic, where applicable. Click here for further information about patient information topics.
- Print — Displays the topic in a format that is specifically designed for printing. Click here for further information about printing UpToDate topics.
- E-mail (UpToDate online only) — Allows you to send the topic by e-mail. Click here for further information about e-mailing topics.
Related topic links
Most topics contain links to other topics that contain related information. These links appear in parentheses in the topic text — for example, (See "Prevention of venous thromboembolic disease"). You can also find a list of all related topic links at the end of the topic outline.
Click on a related topic link to access the related topic. You can then click the Back button to return to the original topic.