Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, and Physician Assistants
Researching clinical questions using UpToDate can be applied towards continuing education requirements. Subscribers can enhance clinical knowledge without taking time away from patient care.
- Answer clinical questions as they arise, and earn credit at the same time. No additional testing is required.
- UpToDate offers a variety of credits such as AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™, AANP contact hours, and CFPC Mainpro+ Certified Self-Learning Credit.
- Use UpToDate to fulfill MOC point requirements of many ABMS member boards such as the American Board of Allergy and Immunology, American Board of Internal Medicine, and American Board of Surgery.
- Submit credit at any time. Credit can be redeemed for up to two years and may be processed at any time during the active subscription period.
- Save time and money by fulfilling CME/CE/CPD requirements without having to leave the office or home. Credit is offered at no additional cost with an individual subscription or through an EHR or other clinical system that has implemented the UpToDate integration API.
UpToDate Supports Your MOC Efforts
Clinicians can use the time they spend with UpToDate to fulfill continuing professional development requirements including MOC programs of several certifying boards.
American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) MOC Program
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 0.5 Medical Knowledge MOC points per Internet point-of-care activity in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
American Board of Medical Specialties Continuing Certification Directory
Through the American Board of Medical Specialties ("ABMS") ongoing commitment to increase access to practice relevant Maintenance of Certification (“MOC”) Activities through the ABMS Continuing Certification Directory, UpToDate has met the requirements as an MOC Part II CME Activity (apply toward general CME requirement) and/or an MOC Part II Self-Assessment Activity for the following ABMS Member Boards:
MOC Part II CME Activity
American Board of Allergy and Immunology
American Board of Anesthesiology
American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery
American Board of Family Medicine
American Board of Pathology
American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
American Board of Preventive Medicine
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
American Board of Thoracic Surgery
American Board of Dermatology
Dermatology related AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ earned from use of UpToDate may fulfill Part 2 CME Resources of the American Board of Dermatology MOC Program.
American Board of Surgery
Credits earned from use of UpToDate may fulfill Part 2 CME requirements of the American Board of Surgery MOC Program.
Nursing Licensure Requirements
Many states may accept the use of UpToDate to fulfill nursing licensing requirements – an added benefit for using this valuable resource.
Nurses are responsible for confirming with their state nursing board that UpToDate may be accepted to fulfill their CE requirements. Nursing Licensing Boards accept only those CE activities which meet their requirements. UpToDate cannot determine if credit earned using UpToDate are relevant to each licensee, therefore UpToDate cannot guarantee acceptance of all credits for all licensees.
Read more about how UpToDate can help meet nursing continuing education requirements here: Nursing CE Requirements and Use of UpToDate Overview.
Use of UpToDate is acceptable to the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) for renewal requirements. In addition, the ANCC has indicated that use of UpToDate meets the pharmacology requirement for nurse practitioners. However, it is up to the individual user to ensure that the content meets their needs and fits the requirements for this category. Please contact the ANCC for more information.