Uterus transplantation for absolute uterine factor infertility: Surgery, immunosuppression, and obstetric management
- Mats Brännström, MD, PhD
Mats Brännström, MD, PhD
- Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- César Díaz-García, MD
César Díaz-García, MD
- Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- La Fe University Hospital, University of Valencia
Uterus transplantation is a highly experimental procedure for the treatment of absolute uterine factor infertility (AUFI). AUFI refers to infertility that is completely attributable to uterine absence (congenital or surgical) or an abnormality (anatomic or functional) that prevents embryo implantation or completion of pregnancy to term. This topic will review the surgeries for the donor and recipient, immunosuppression, and obstetric issues involved in uterus transplantation. The intent of this topic is to provide an overview of the critical issues for clinicians and patients; the topic is based on the experience of the authors and should not be used for treatment decisions.
Related discussions on the ethical issues, patient selection, and consent involved in uterus transplantation, as well as topics on solid organ transplantation, are presented separately.
●(See "Transplantation immunobiology".)To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Brännström M, Johannesson L, Dahm-Kähler P, et al. First clinical uterus transplantation trial: a six-month report. Fertil Steril 2014; 101:1228.
- Wei L, Xue T, Tao KS, et al. Modified human uterus transplantation using ovarian veins for venous drainage: the first report of surgically successful robotic-assisted uterus procurement and follow-up for 12 months. Fertil Steril 2017; 108:346.
- Brännström M, Johannesson L, Bokström H, et al. Livebirth after uterus transplantation. Lancet 2015; 385:607.
- Arnolds K, Gomez N, Berry A, et al. Assessment of an Alternative to the Uterine Vein for Venous Drainage in Human Uterine Transplantation: A Case Series Following Laparoscopic Hysterectomy. Gynecol Obstet Invest 2016; 81:436.
- Gauthier T, Piver P, Pichon N, et al. Uterus retrieval process from brain dead donors. Fertil Steril 2014; 102:476.
- Ozkan O, Akar ME, Ozkan O, et al. Preliminary results of the first human uterus transplantation from a multiorgan donor. Fertil Steril 2013; 99:470.
- Mölne J, Broecker V, Ekberg J, et al. Monitoring of Human Uterus Transplantation With Cervical Biopsies: A Provisional Scoring System for Rejection. Am J Transplant 2016.
- Pareja E, Cortes M, Navarro R, et al. Vascular complications after orthotopic liver transplantation: hepatic artery thrombosis. Transplant Proc 2010; 42:2970.
- Boraschi P, Della Pina MC, Donati F. Graft complications following orthotopic liver transplantation: Role of non-invasive cross-sectional imaging techniques. Eur J Radiol 2016; 85:1271.
- Nixon JN, Biyyam DR, Stanescu L, et al. Imaging of pediatric renal transplants and their complications: a pictorial review. Radiographics 2013; 33:1227.
- Bekker J, Ploem S, de Jong KP. Early hepatic artery thrombosis after liver transplantation: a systematic review of the incidence, outcome and risk factors. Am J Transplant 2009; 9:746.
- Fageeh W, Raffa H, Jabbad H, Marzouki A. Transplantation of the human uterus. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2002; 76:245.
- Johannesson L, Kvarnström N, Mölne J, et al. Uterus transplantation trial: 1-year outcome. Fertil Steril 2015; 103:199.
- Flyckt RL, Farrell RM, Perni UC, et al. Deceased Donor Uterine Transplantation: Innovation and Adaptation. Obstet Gynecol 2016; 128:837.
- Petruzzo P, Lanzetta M, Dubernard JM, et al. The international registry on hand and composite tissue transplantation. Transplantation 2008; 86:487.
- Groth K, Akouri R, Wranning CA, et al. Rejection of allogenic uterus transplant in the mouse: time-dependent and site-specific infiltration of leukocyte subtypes. Hum Reprod 2009; 24:2746.
- Sharma P, Bari K. Chronic Kidney Disease and Related Long-Term Complications After Liver Transplantation. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 2015; 22:404.
- Bodziak KA, Hricik DE. New-onset diabetes mellitus after solid organ transplantation. Transpl Int 2009; 22:519.
- Fishman JA. Infection in solid-organ transplant recipients. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:2601.
- Engels EA, Pfeiffer RM, Fraumeni JF Jr, et al. Spectrum of cancer risk among US solid organ transplant recipients. JAMA 2011; 306:1891.
- Perez-Aytes A, Ledo A, Boso V, et al. In utero exposure to mycophenolate mofetil: a characteristic phenotype? Am J Med Genet A 2008; 146A:1.
- Natekar A, Pupco A, Bozzo P, Koren G. Safety of azathioprine use during pregnancy. Can Fam Physician 2011; 57:1401.
- Tendron A, Gouyon JB, Decramer S. In utero exposure to immunosuppressive drugs: experimental and clinical studies. Pediatr Nephrol 2002; 17:121.
- McKay DB, Josephson MA, Armenti VT, et al. Reproduction and transplantation: report on the AST Consensus Conference on Reproductive Issues and Transplantation. Am J Transplant 2005; 5:1592.
- McKay DB, Josephson MA. Pregnancy in recipients of solid organs--effects on mother and child. N Engl J Med 2006; 354:1281.
- Zachariah MS, Tornatore KM, Venuto RC. Kidney transplantation and pregnancy. Curr Opin Organ Transplant 2009; 14:386.
- Källén B, Westgren M, Aberg A, Olausson PO. Pregnancy outcome after maternal organ transplantation in Sweden. BJOG 2005; 112:904.
- Durst JK, Rampersad RM. Pregnancy in Women With Solid-Organ Transplants: A Review. Obstet Gynecol Surv 2015; 70:408.
- INDICATIONS, ETHICS, AND PATIENT SELECTION
- Uterus removal
- - Living donor
- - Deceased donor
- Uterus transplantation
- - Procedure
- - Complications
- GRAFT COMPLICATIONS
- Unplanned graft removal
- Our approach
- Treatment risks
- Use in pregnancy
- OBSTETRIC ISSUES
- Impact of immunosuppressive agents
- Obstetric complications
- PLANNED GRAFT REMOVAL
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS