Unipolar depression in adults: Treatment with anxiolytics
- Andrew Goddard, MD
Andrew Goddard, MD
- Professor of Psychiatry, UCSF
- UCSF Fresno Medical Education & Research Program
Unipolar major depression that includes high levels of anxiety symptoms (often called anxious depression) is common [1,2]. In a study of 2876 patients with major depression, high levels of anxiety were present in more than 50 percent .
This topic reviews the use of anxiolytics to treat unipolar major depression, including their indications, contraindications, administration, and efficacy. Choosing a medication regimen for the initial treatment of depression and for treatment resistant depression is discussed separately. (See "Unipolar major depression in adults: Choosing initial treatment" and "Unipolar depression in adults: Treatment of resistant depression".)
Unipolar major depression that includes high levels of anxiety symptoms is often called “anxious depression” . The clinical features and diagnosis of anxious depression are discussed separately. (See "Unipolar depression in adults: Clinical features", section on 'Anxious' and "Unipolar depression in adults: Assessment and diagnosis", section on 'Depressive episode subtypes (specifiers)'.)
Indications for augmenting antidepressants with anxiolytics to treat unipolar major depression include:
Subscribers log in hereLiterature review current through: Nov 2017. | This topic last updated: Jun 15, 2017.References
- Köhler S, Unger T, Hoffmann S, et al. Acute and long-term treatment outcome in depressed inpatients with vs. without anxious features: results of a one-year follow-up study. J Affect Disord 2013; 150:1055.
- Wu Z, Chen J, Yuan C, et al. Difference in remission in a Chinese population with anxious versus nonanxious treatment-resistant depression: a report of OPERATION study. J Affect Disord 2013; 150:834.
- Fava M, Rush AJ, Alpert JE, et al. Difference in treatment outcome in outpatients with anxious versus nonanxious depression: a STAR*D report. Am J Psychiatry 2008; 165:342.
- Furukawa TA, Streiner DL, Young LT. Antidepressant plus benzodiazepine for major depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2001; :CD001026.
- Fava M, McCall WV, Krystal A, et al. Eszopiclone co-administered with fluoxetine in patients with insomnia coexisting with major depressive disorder. Biol Psychiatry 2006; 59:1052.
- Ionescu DF, Niciu MJ, Henter ID, Zarate CA. Defining anxious depression: a review of the literature. CNS Spectr 2013; 18:252.
- Katz C, Yaseen ZS, Mojtabai R, et al. Panic as an independent risk factor for suicide attempt in depressive illness: findings from the National Epidemiological Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions (NESARC). J Clin Psychiatry 2011; 72:1628.
- Richey SM, Krystal AD. Pharmacological advances in the treatment of insomnia. Curr Pharm Des 2011; 17:1471.
- Allen MH, Currier GW, Hughes DH, et al. The Expert Consensus Guideline Series. Treatment of behavioral emergencies. Postgrad Med 2001; :1.
- Sinclair LI, Christmas DM, Hood SD, et al. Antidepressant-induced jitteriness/anxiety syndrome: systematic review. Br J Psychiatry 2009; 194:483.
- Papakostas GI, Clain A, Ameral VE, et al. Fluoxetine-clonazepam cotherapy for anxious depression: an exploratory, post-hoc analysis of a randomized, double blind study. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2010; 25:17.
- Jeffreys M, Capehart B, Friedman MJ. Pharmacotherapy for posttraumatic stress disorder: review with clinical applications. J Rehabil Res Dev 2012; 49:703.
- Pascual JC, Martín-Blanco A, Soler J, et al. A naturalistic study of changes in pharmacological prescription for borderline personality disorder in clinical practice: from APA to NICE guidelines. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2010; 25:349.
- Manthey L, Lohbeck M, Giltay EJ, et al. Correlates of benzodiazepine dependence in the Netherlands Study of Depression and Anxiety. Addiction 2012; 107:2173.
- Tannenbaum C, Paquette A, Hilmer S, et al. A systematic review of amnestic and non-amnestic mild cognitive impairment induced by anticholinergic, antihistamine, GABAergic and opioid drugs. Drugs Aging 2012; 29:639.
- Haroutiunian S, Lecht S, Zur AA, et al. The challenge of pain management in patients with myasthenia gravis. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother 2009; 23:242.
- George CF, Bayliff CD. Management of insomnia in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Drugs 2003; 63:379.
- Freudenreich O, Nejad SH, Francis A, Fricchione GL. Psychosis, mania, and catatonia. In: Textbook of Psychosomatic Medicine: Psychiatric Care of the Medically Ill, Second Edition, Levenson JL (Ed), American Psychiatric Publishing, Washington, DC 2011. p.219.
- Rothschild AJ. Clinical Manual for Diagnosis and Treatment of Psychotic Depression, American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc., Washington, DC 2009.
- Work Group on Psychiatric Evaluation, American Psychiatric Association Steering Committee on Practice Guidlines. Psychiatric evaluation of adults. Second edition. American Psychiatric Association. Am J Psychiatry 2006; 163:3.
- American Psychiatric Association Practice Guideline for the Psychiatric Evaluation of Adults, Second Edition, 2006. http://www.psych.org/MainMenu/PsychiatricPractice/PracticeGuidelines_1.aspx (Accessed on July 18, 2011).
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), American Psychiatric Association, Arlington 2013.
- Kroenke K, Spitzer RL, Williams JB. The PHQ-9: validity of a brief depression severity measure. J Gen Intern Med 2001; 16:606.
- Kroenke K, Spitzer RL, Williams JB. The Patient Health Questionnaire-2: validity of a two-item depression screener. Med Care 2003; 41:1284.
- Spitzer RL, Kroenke K, Williams JB, Löwe B. A brief measure for assessing generalized anxiety disorder: the GAD-7. Arch Intern Med 2006; 166:1092.
- Steer RA, Ranieri WF, Beck AT, Clark DA. Further evidence for the validity of the Beck Anxiety Inventory with psychiatric outpatients. J Anxiety Disord 1993; 7:195.
- Muntingh AD, van der Feltz-Cornelis CM, van Marwijk HW, et al. Is the Beck Anxiety Inventory a good tool to assess the severity of anxiety? A primary care study in the Netherlands Study of Depression and Anxiety (NESDA). BMC Fam Pract 2011; 12:66.
- HAMILTON M. The assessment of anxiety states by rating. Br J Med Psychol 1959; 32:50.
- Shear MK, Brown C, Clark DB. Anxiety disorders measures. In: Handbook of Psychiatric Measures, Second Edition, Rush Jr AJ, First MB, Blacker D (Eds), American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc., Washington, DC 2008. p.529.
- Fava GA, Ruini C, Rafanelli C. Sequential treatment of mood and anxiety disorders. J Clin Psychiatry 2005; 66:1392.
- Trivedi MH, Thase ME, Fava M, et al. Adjunctive aripiprazole in major depressive disorder: analysis of efficacy and safety in patients with anxious and atypical features. J Clin Psychiatry 2008; 69:1928.
- Thase ME, Demyttenaere K, Earley WR, et al. Extended release quetiapine fumarate in major depressive disorder: analysis in patients with anxious depression. Depress Anxiety 2012; 29:574.
- Smith WT, Londborg PD, Glaudin V, Painter JR. Short-term augmentation of fluoxetine with clonazepam in the treatment of depression: a double-blind study. Am J Psychiatry 1998; 155:1339.
- Smith WT, Londborg PD, Glaudin V, et al. Is extended clonazepam cotherapy of fluoxetine effective for outpatients with major depression? J Affect Disord 2002; 70:251.
- Furukawa TA, Streiner DL, Young LT. Is antidepressant-benzodiazepine combination therapy clinically more useful? A meta-analytic study. J Affect Disord 2001; 65:173.
- Chang CM, Wu EC, Chen CY, et al. Psychotropic drugs and risk of motor vehicle accidents: a population-based case-control study. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2013; 75:1125.
- Dassanayake T, Michie P, Carter G, Jones A. Effects of benzodiazepines, antidepressants and opioids on driving: a systematic review and meta-analysis of epidemiological and experimental evidence. Drug Saf 2011; 34:125.
- Westra HA, Stewart SH, Conrad BE. Naturalistic manner of benzodiazepine use and cognitive behavioral therapy outcome in panic disorder with agoraphobia. J Anxiety Disord 2002; 16:233.
- Feet PO, Larsen S, Lillevold PE, Robak OH. Withdrawal reactions to diazepam in combined imipramine/diazepam treatment of primary nonagitated depressed outpatients. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1988; 78:341.
- van Marwijk H, Allick G, Wegman F, et al. Alprazolam for depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; :CD007139.
- Fava M, Asnis GM, Shrivastava RK, et al. Improved insomnia symptoms and sleep-related next-day functioning in patients with comorbid major depressive disorder and insomnia following concomitant zolpidem extended-release 12.5 mg and escitalopram treatment: a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Psychiatry 2011; 72:914.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: Risk of next-morning impairment after use of insomnia drugs; FDA requires lower recommended doses for certain drugs containing zolpidem (Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, and Zolpimist). http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm334033.htm (Accessed on June 26, 2014).
- Fava M, Schaefer K, Huang H, et al. A post hoc analysis of the effect of nightly administration of eszopiclone and a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor in patients with insomnia and anxious depression. J Clin Psychiatry 2011; 72:473.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA warns of next-day impairment with sleep aid Lunesta (eszopiclone) and lowers recommended dose. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm397260.htm (Accessed on June 26, 2014).
- Dannlowski U, Baune BT, Böckermann I, et al. Adjunctive antidepressant treatment with quetiapine in agitated depression: positive effects on symptom reduction, psychopathology and remission rates. Hum Psychopharmacol 2008; 23:587.
- McIntyre RS, Weiller E, Zhang P, Weiss C. Brexpiprazole as adjunctive treatment of major depressive disorder with anxious distress: Results from a post-hoc analysis of two randomised controlled trials. J Affect Disord 2016; 201:116.
- Portella MJ, de Diego-Adeliño J, Ballesteros J, et al. Can we really accelerate and enhance the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressant effect? A randomized clinical trial and a meta-analysis of pindolol in nonresistant depression. J Clin Psychiatry 2011; 72:962.
- Trivedi MH, Fava M, Wisniewski SR, et al. Medication augmentation after the failure of SSRIs for depression. N Engl J Med 2006; 354:1243.
- Sanacora G, Kendell SF, Levin Y, et al. Preliminary evidence of riluzole efficacy in antidepressant-treated patients with residual depressive symptoms. Biol Psychiatry 2007; 61:822.
- ANXIOUS DEPRESSION
- GENERAL PRINCIPLES
- Patient assessment
- When to start the anxiolytic
- Duration of treatment
- SPECIFIC DRUGS
- - Alprazolam monotherapy
- Nonbenzodiazepine hypnotics
- Second-generation antipsychotics
- Other agents