Treatment of large granular lymphocyte leukemia
- Thierry Lamy, MD, PhD
Thierry Lamy, MD, PhD
- Professor in Hematology
- University of Rennes, France
- Thomas P Loughran, Jr, MD
Thomas P Loughran, Jr, MD
- Director, University of Virginia Cancer Center
- University of Virginia
Large granular lymphocyte (LGL) leukemia is characterized by peripheral blood and marrow lymphocytic infiltration with clonal LGLs, splenomegaly, and cytopenias, most commonly neutropenia.
The LGL is a morphologically distinct lymphoid subset that is larger than most circulating lymphocytes, and has characteristic azurophilic granules containing acid hydrolases (picture 1). LGLs comprise 10 to 15 percent of normal peripheral blood mononuclear cells. The absolute number of LGLs in the peripheral blood of normal subjects is 200 to 400/microL.
LGLs arise from two major lineages [1,2]. About 85 percent of normal LGLs have an NK cell phenotype, and only 15 percent are derived from T cells. The phenotypes of LGLs in LGL leukemia, however, are just the opposite:
●CD3 positive T cell lineage — Approximately 85 percent of circulating LGLs are CD3 positive, CD57 positive, CD56 negative T cells, representing in vivo antigen-activated effector-memory cytotoxic T cells.
●CD3 negative NK cell lineage — The remaining 15 percent of circulating LGLs are CD3-, CD56+ natural killer (NK) cells. It had been postulated that such NK cells mediate non-major histocompatibility complex (MHC)-restricted cytotoxicity. It is now established that NK cells possess specific receptors for MHC class I molecules named "killer-cell Ig-like inhibitory receptor" (KIR) and "killer-cell activating receptor" (KAR). Interactions between these receptors and MHC class I molecules on target cells may inhibit or activate NK cell–mediated cytotoxicity.
Subscribers log in hereLiterature review current through: Jul 2017. | This topic last updated: Sep 09, 2015.References
- Loughran TP Jr. Clonal diseases of large granular lymphocytes. Blood 1993; 82:1.
- Lamy T, Loughran TP Jr. Clinical features of large granular lymphocyte leukemia. Semin Hematol 2003; 40:185.
- Dhodapkar MV, Li CY, Lust JA, et al. Clinical spectrum of clonal proliferations of T-large granular lymphocytes: a T-cell clonopathy of undetermined significance? Blood 1994; 84:1620.
- Lamy T, LePrise PY, Amiot L, et al. Response to granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) but not to G-CSF in a case of agranulocytosis associated with large granular lymphocyte (LGL) leukemia. Blood 1995; 85:3352.
- Lamy T, Loughran TP Jr. How I treat LGL leukemia. Blood 2011; 117:2764.
- Dearden CE, Johnson R, Pettengell R, et al. Guidelines for the management of mature T-cell and NK-cell neoplasms (excluding cutaneous T-cell lymphoma). Br J Haematol 2011; 153:451.
- Dearden C. Large granular lymphocytic leukaemia pathogenesis and management. Br J Haematol 2011; 152:273.
- Loughran TP Jr, Zickl L, Olson TL, et al. Immunosuppressive therapy of LGL leukemia: prospective multicenter phase II study by the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (E5998). Leukemia 2015; 29:886.
- Ravandi F, O'Brien S. Chronic lymphoid leukemias other than chronic lymphocytic leukemia: diagnosis and treatment. Mayo Clin Proc 2005; 80:1660.
- Osuji N, Matutes E, Tjonnfjord G, et al. T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia: A report on the treatment of 29 patients and a review of the literature. Cancer 2006; 107:570.
- Bareau B, Rey J, Hamidou M, et al. Analysis of a French cohort of patients with large granular lymphocyte leukemia: a report on 229 cases. Haematologica 2010; 95:1534.
- Loughran TP Jr, Kidd PG, Starkebaum G. Treatment of large granular lymphocyte leukemia with oral low-dose methotrexate. Blood 1994; 84:2164.
- Go RS, Li CY, Tefferi A, Phyliky RL. Acquired pure red cell aplasia associated with lymphoproliferative disease of granular T lymphocytes. Blood 2001; 98:483.
- Mohan SR, Maciejewski JP. Diagnosis and therapy of neutropenia in large granular lymphocyte leukemia. Curr Opin Hematol 2009; 16:27.
- Fujishima N, Sawada K, Hirokawa M, et al. Long-term responses and outcomes following immunosuppressive therapy in large granular lymphocyte leukemia-associated pure red cell aplasia: a Nationwide Cohort Study in Japan for the PRCA Collaborative Study Group. Haematologica 2008; 93:1555.
- Lacy MQ, Kurtin PJ, Tefferi A. Pure red cell aplasia: association with large granular lymphocyte leukemia and the prognostic value of cytogenetic abnormalities. Blood 1996; 87:3000.
- Go RS, Lust JA, Phyliky RL. Aplastic anemia and pure red cell aplasia associated with large granular lymphocyte leukemia. Semin Hematol 2003; 40:196.
- Moignet A, Hasanali Z, Zambello R, et al. Cyclophosphamide as a first-line therapy in LGL leukemia. Leukemia 2014; 28:1134.
- Gabor EP, Mishalani S, Lee S. Rapid response to cyclosporine therapy and sustained remission in large granular lymphocyte leukemia. Blood 1996; 87:1199.
- Sood R, Stewart CC, Aplan PD, et al. Neutropenia associated with T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia: long-term response to cyclosporine therapy despite persistence of abnormal cells. Blood 1998; 91:3372.
- Battiwalla M, Melenhorst J, Saunthararajah Y, et al. HLA-DR4 predicts haematological response to cyclosporine in T-large granular lymphocyte lymphoproliferative disorders. Br J Haematol 2003; 123:449.
- Aribi A, Huh Y, Keating M, et al. T-cell large granular lymphocytic (T-LGL) leukemia: experience in a single institution over 8 years. Leuk Res 2007; 31:939.
- Pawarode A, Wallace PK, Ford LA, et al. Long-term safety and efficacy of cyclosporin A therapy for T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma 2010; 51:338.
- Fortune AF, Kelly K, Sargent J, et al. Large granular lymphocyte leukemia: natural history and response to treatment. Leuk Lymphoma 2010; 51:839.
- Bible KC, Tefferi A. Cyclosporine A alleviates severe anaemia associated with refractory large granular lymphocytic leukaemia and chronic natural killer cell lymphocytosis. Br J Haematol 1996; 93:406.
- Osuji N, Del Giudice I, Matutes E, et al. CD52 expression in T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia--implications for treatment with alemtuzumab. Leuk Lymphoma 2005; 46:723.
- Mohan SR, Clemente MJ, Afable M, et al. Therapeutic implications of variable expression of CD52 on clonal cytotoxic T cells in CD8+ large granular lymphocyte leukemia. Haematologica 2009; 94:1407.
- Ru X, Liebman HA. Successful treatment of refractory pure red cell aplasia associated with lymphoproliferative disorders with the anti-CD52 monoclonal antibody alemtuzumab (Campath-1H). Br J Haematol 2003; 123:278.
- Rosenblum MD, LaBelle JL, Chang CC, et al. Efficacy of alemtuzumab treatment for refractory T-cell large granular lymphocytic leukemia. Blood 2004; 103:1969.
- Schützinger C, Gaiger A, Thalhammer R, et al. Remission of pure red cell aplasia in T-cell receptor gammadelta-large granular lymphocyte leukemia after therapy with low-dose alemtuzumab. Leukemia 2005; 19:2005.
- Au WY, Lam CC, Chim CS, et al. Alemtuzumab induced complete remission of therapy-resistant pure red cell aplasia. Leuk Res 2005; 29:1213.
- Ravandi F, Aribi A, O'Brien S, et al. Phase II study of alemtuzumab in combination with pentostatin in patients with T-cell neoplasms. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27:5425.
- Monjanel H, Hourioux C, Arbion F, et al. Rapid and durable molecular response of refractory T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia after alemtuzumab treatment. Leuk Res 2010; 34:e197.
- Sternberg A, Eagleton H, Pillai N, et al. Neutropenia and anaemia associated with T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukaemia responds to fludarabine with minimal toxicity. Br J Haematol 2003; 120:699.
- Edelman MJ, O'Donnell RT, Meadows I. Treatment of refractory large granular lymphocytic leukemia with 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine. Am J Hematol 1997; 54:329.
- Ma SY, Au WY, Chim CS, et al. Fludarabine, mitoxantrone and dexamethasone in the treatment of indolent B- and T-cell lymphoid malignancies in Chinese patients. Br J Haematol 2004; 124:754.
- Tsirigotis P, Venetis E, Kapsimali V, et al. 2-deoxycoformycin in the treatment of T-large granular lymphocyte leukemia. Leuk Res 2003; 27:865.
- Tse E, Chan JC, Pang A, et al. Fludarabine, mitoxantrone and dexamethasone as first-line treatment for T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia. Leukemia 2007; 21:2225.
- Dincol G, Diz-Kuçukkaya R, Bicakci E. T-cell large granular lymphocytic leukaemia: successful response to 2-deoxycoformycin. Neth J Med 2008; 66:85.
- Sretenovic A, Antic D, Jankovic S, et al. T-cell large granular lymphocytic (T-LGL) leukemia: a single institution experience. Med Oncol 2010; 27:286.
- Subbiah V, Viny AD, Rosenblatt S, et al. Outcomes of splenectomy in T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia with splenomegaly and cytopenia. Exp Hematol 2008; 36:1078.
- Gentile TC, Hadlock KG, Uner AH, et al. Large granular lymphocyte leukaemia occurring after renal transplantation. Br J Haematol 1998; 101:507.
- Loughran TP Jr, Starkebaum G, Clark E, et al. Evaluation of splenectomy in large granular lymphocyte leukaemia. Br J Haematol 1987; 67:135.
- Furukawa Y, Tanaka K, Hasuike T, et al. [Chronic lymphocytic leukemia with peripheral T lymphocytes expressing CD 2+, CD 3+, CD 4-, CD 8-, CD 16+, and CD 56+ and lymph-node lymphocytes expressing CD 2+, CD 3-, CD 4-, CD 8-, CD 16+, CD 38+, and CD 56+]. Rinsho Byori 1991; 39:557.
- Brinkman K, van Dongen JJ, van Lom K, et al. Induction of clinical remission in T-large granular lymphocyte leukemia with cyclosporin A, monitored by use of immunophenotyping with Vbeta antibodies. Leukemia 1998; 12:150.
- Alekshun TJ, Tao J, Sokol L. Aggressive T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia: a case report and review of the literature. Am J Hematol 2007; 82:481.
- Seebach J, Speich R, Gmür J. Allogeneic bone marrow transplantation for CD3+/TCR gamma delta+ large granular lymphocyte proliferation. Blood 1995; 85:853.
- Lamy T, Drenou B, Fardel O, et al. Multidrug resistance analysis in lymphoproliferative disease of large granular lymphocytes. Br J Haematol 1998; 100:509.
- Gupta S, Kim CH, Tsuruo T, Gollapudi S. Preferential expression and activity of multidrug resistance gene 1 product (P-glycoprotein), a functionally active efflux pump, in human CD8+ T cells: a role in cytotoxic effector function. J Clin Immunol 1992; 12:451.
- Chaudhary PM, Mechetner EB, Roninson IB. Expression and activity of the multidrug resistance P-glycoprotein in human peripheral blood lymphocytes. Blood 1992; 80:2735.
- Yamamoto T, Iwasaki T, Watanabe N, et al. Expression of multidrug resistance P-glycoprotein on peripheral blood mononuclear cells of patients with granular lymphocyte-proliferative disorders. Blood 1993; 81:1342.
- Cornec D, Devauchelle-Pensec V, Jousse-Joulin S, et al. Long-term remission of T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia associated with rheumatoid arthritis after rituximab therapy. Blood 2013; 122:1583.
- Pandolfi F, Loughran TP Jr, Starkebaum G, et al. Clinical course and prognosis of the lymphoproliferative disease of granular lymphocytes. A multicenter study. Cancer 1990; 65:341.
- Waldmann TA, Conlon KC, Stewart DM, et al. Phase 1 trial of IL-15 trans presentation blockade using humanized Mikβ1 mAb in patients with T-cell large granular lymphocytic leukemia. Blood 2013; 121:476.
- INDICATIONS FOR TREATMENT
- MANAGEMENT OF ASYMPTOMATIC PATIENTS
- PRETREATMENT EVALUATION
- INITIAL TREATMENT
- Choice of therapy
- RESPONSE EVALUATION
- TREATMENT OF RELAPSED OR RESISTANT DISEASE
- Relapsed disease
- Resistant disease
- Refractory or aggressive disease
- - Alemtuzumab
- - Purine analogs
- - Splenectomy
- - Other therapies
- CLINICAL TRIALS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS