Renal disease associated with hepatitis B virus infection
- Tak-Mao Chan, MD, FRCP
Tak-Mao Chan, MD, FRCP
- Chair Professor & Yu Chiu Kwong Endowed Professor in Medicine
- University of Hong Kong
- Anna SF Lok, MD
Anna SF Lok, MD
- Professor of Medicine
- University of Michigan Medical School
- Section Editors
- Richard J Glassock, MD, MACP
Richard J Glassock, MD, MACP
- Editor-in-Chief — Nephrology
- Section Editor — Glomerular Diseases
- Emeritus Professor
- The David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- Martin S Hirsch, MD
Martin S Hirsch, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Infectious Diseases
- Section Editor — Viral Infections
- Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
Infection with hepatitis B virus (HBV) may be associated with a variety of renal diseases [1,2]. The three most common types of renal disease resulting from HBV infection are:
●Membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis (MPGN)
●Polyarteritis nodosa (PAN)
In addition, HBV infection has been associated with mesangial proliferative glomerulonephritis, IgA nephropathy, and amyloidosis.
- Johnson RJ, Couser WG. Hepatitis B infection and renal disease: clinical, immunopathogenetic and therapeutic considerations. Kidney Int 1990; 37:663.
- Lai KN, Lai FM. Clinical features and the natural course of hepatitis B virus-related glomerulopathy in adults. Kidney Int Suppl 1991; 35:S40.
- Levy M, Chen N. Worldwide perspective of hepatitis B-associated glomerulonephritis in the 80s. Kidney Int Suppl 1991; 35:S24.
- Xu H, Sun L, Zhou LJ, et al. The effect of hepatitis B vaccination on the incidence of childhood HBV-associated nephritis. Pediatr Nephrol 2003; 18:1216.
- Liao MT, Chang MH, Lin FG, et al. Universal hepatitis B vaccination reduces childhood hepatitis B virus-associated membranous nephropathy. Pediatrics 2011; 128:e600.
- Takekoshi Y, Tochimaru H, Nagata Y, Itami N. Immunopathogenetic mechanisms of hepatitis B virus-related glomerulopathy. Kidney Int Suppl 1991; 35:S34.
- Lai KN, Li PK, Lui SF, et al. Membranous nephropathy related to hepatitis B virus in adults. N Engl J Med 1991; 324:1457.
- Lai KN, Ho RT, Tam JS, Lai FM. Detection of hepatitis B virus DNA and RNA in kidneys of HBV related glomerulonephritis. Kidney Int 1996; 50:1965.
- Hong L, Zhang J, Min J, et al. A role for MHBst167/HBx in hepatitis B virus-induced renal tubular cell apoptosis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2010; 25:2125.
- Diao Z, Ding J, Yin C, et al. Purified hepatitis B virus induces human mesangial cell proliferation and extracellular matrix expression in vitro. Virol J 2013; 10:300.
- Li P, Wei RB, Tang L, et al. Clinical and pathological analysis of hepatitis B virus-related membranous nephropathy and idiopathic membranous nephropathy. Clin Nephrol 2012; 78:456.
- Qin W, Beck LH Jr, Zeng C, et al. Anti-phospholipase A2 receptor antibody in membranous nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol 2011; 22:1137.
- Guillevin L, Lhote F. Treatment of polyarteritis nodosa and microscopic polyangiitis. Arthritis Rheum 1998; 41:2100.
- Lin CY. Treatment of hepatitis B virus-associated membranous nephropathy with recombinant alpha-interferon. Kidney Int 1995; 47:225.
- Perez GO, Pardo V, Fletcher M. Renal involvement in essential mixed cryoglobulinemia. Am J Kidney Dis 1987; 10:276.
- Enríquez R, Sirvent AE, Andrada E, et al. Cryoglobulinemic glomerulonephritis in chronic hepatitis B infection. Ren Fail 2010; 32:518.
- Guillevin L, Lhote F, Cohen P, et al. Polyarteritis nodosa related to hepatitis B virus. A prospective study with long-term observation of 41 patients. Medicine (Baltimore) 1995; 74:238.
- Chapter 10: Immunoglobulin A nephropathy. Kidney Int Suppl (2011) 2012; 2:209.
- Lisker-Melman M, Webb D, Di Bisceglie AM, et al. Glomerulonephritis caused by chronic hepatitis B virus infection: treatment with recombinant human alpha-interferon. Ann Intern Med 1989; 111:479.
- Conjeevaram HS, Hoofnagle JH, Austin HA, et al. Long-term outcome of hepatitis B virus-related glomerulonephritis after therapy with interferon alfa. Gastroenterology 1995; 109:540.
- Chung DR, Yang WS, Kim SB, et al. Treatment of hepatitis B virus associated glomerulonephritis with recombinant human alpha interferon. Am J Nephrol 1997; 17:112.
- Bhimma R, Coovadia HM, Kramvis A, et al. Treatment of hepatitis B virus-associated nephropathy in black children. Pediatr Nephrol 2002; 17:393.
- Fabrizi F, Dixit V, Martin P. Meta-analysis: anti-viral therapy of hepatitis B virus-associated glomerulonephritis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2006; 24:781.
- Wen YK, Chen ML. Remission of hepatitis B virus-associated membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis in a cirrhotic patient after lamivudine therapy. Clin Nephrol 2006; 65:211.
- Kruger M, Böker KH, Zeidler H, Manns MP. Treatment of hepatitis B-related polyarteritis nodosa with famciclovir and interferon alfa-2b. J Hepatol 1997; 26:935.
- Avşar E, Savaş B, Tözün N, et al. Successful treatment of polyarteritis nodosa related to hepatitis B virus with interferon alpha as first-line therapy. J Hepatol 1998; 28:525.
- Simsek H, Telatar H. Successful treatment of hepatitis B virus-associated polyarteritis nodosa by interferon alpha alone. J Clin Gastroenterol 1995; 20:263.
- Wenderfer SE. Viral-associated glomerulopathies in children. Pediatr Nephrol 2015; 30:1929.
- Tang S, Lai FM, Lui YH, et al. Lamivudine in hepatitis B-associated membranous nephropathy. Kidney Int 2005; 68:1750.
- Sun IO, Hong YA, Park HS, et al. Experience of anti-viral therapy in hepatitis B-associated membranous nephropathy, including Lamivudine-resistant strains. Korean J Intern Med 2012; 27:411.
- Lin CY, Lo SC. Treatment of hepatitis B virus-associated membranous nephropathy with adenine arabinoside and thymic extract. Kidney Int 1991; 39:301.
- Lai KN, Tam JS, Lin HJ, Lai FM. The therapeutic dilemma of the usage of corticosteroid in patients with membranous nephropathy and persistent hepatitis B virus surface antigenaemia. Nephron 1990; 54:12.
- Sayarlioglu H, Erkoc R, Dogan E, et al. Mycophenolate mofetil use in hepatitis B associated-membranous and membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis induces viral replication. Ann Pharmacother 2005; 39:573.
- Mitka M. FDA: Increased HBV reactivation risk with ofatumumab or rituximab. JAMA 2013; 310:1664.
- Guillevin L, Pagnoux C. Indications of plasma exchanges for systemic vasculitides. Ther Apher Dial 2003; 7:155.
- Wicki J, Olivieri J, Pizzolato G, et al. Successful treatment of polyarteritis nodosa related to hepatitis B virus with a combination of lamivudine and interferon alpha. Rheumatology (Oxford) 1999; 38:183.
- Guillevin L, Lhote F, Sauvaget F, et al. Treatment of polyarteritis nodosa related to hepatitis B virus with interferon-alpha and plasma exchanges. Ann Rheum Dis 1994; 53:334.
- Guillevin L, Mahr A, Cohen P, et al. Short-term corticosteroids then lamivudine and plasma exchanges to treat hepatitis B virus-related polyarteritis nodosa. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 51:482.
- Janssen HL, van Zonneveld M, van Nunen AB, et al. Polyarteritis nodosa associated with hepatitis B virus infection. The role of antiviral treatment and mutations in the hepatitis B virus genome. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004; 16:801.
- Leib ES, Restivo C, Paulus HE. Immunosuppressive and corticosteroid therapy of polyarteritis nodosa. Am J Med 1979; 67:941.
- Guillevin L, Mahr A, Callard P, et al. Hepatitis B virus-associated polyarteritis nodosa: clinical characteristics, outcome, and impact of treatment in 115 patients. Medicine (Baltimore) 2005; 84:313.
- Fernanda F, Serena C, Giustina R, et al. Mycophenolate mofetil treatment in two children with severe polyarteritis nodosa refractory to immunosuppressant drugs. Rheumatol Int 2012; 32:2215.
- Néel A, Masseau A, Hervier B, et al. Life-threatening hepatitis C virus-associated polyarteritis nodosa successfully treated by rituximab. J Clin Rheumatol 2011; 17:439.
- EPIDEMIOLOGY AND PATHOGENESIS
- TYPES OF RENAL DISEASE
- Membranous nephropathy
- Membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis (MPGN)
- Polyarteritis nodosa (PAN)
- Antiviral therapy
- - Indications for antiviral therapy
- - Choice of therapy, duration, and therapeutic goal
- Choice of therapy
- Duration of therapy
- Therapeutic goal
- Limited role for immunosuppression and plasmapheresis
- - RPGN
- - PAN
- Concomitant HCV infection
- SOCIETY GUIDELINE LINKS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS