Percutaneous pulmonic valve implantation
- Andreas Eicken, MD, PhD, FESC
Andreas Eicken, MD, PhD, FESC
- Professor of Medicine
- German Heart Centre
Percutaneous pulmonic valve implantation (PPVI) was developed as a nonsurgical treatment for patients with right ventricular outflow tract (RVOT) dysfunction . PPVI devices are intended for use in a dysfunctional (stenotic or regurgitant) right ventricle-to-pulmonary artery conduit. PPVI is intended to extend the lifetime of a right ventricle-to-pulmonary artery conduit and hence reduce the total number of open-heart surgeries required over a patient’s lifetime.
Some centers have extended the application of PPVI to treat patients with tetralogy of Fallot without a conduit [2,3] and to treat patients with tetralogy of Fallot with failing pulmonic bioprosthetic valves [4,5].
INDICATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS
Our approach — We recommend percutaneous pulmonic valve implantation (PPVI) for patients with right ventricle to pulmonary artery conduits, native right ventricle outflow tracts, or failing bioprosthetic valves in the pulmonary position meeting the following criteria for severe right ventricular outflow (RVOT) obstruction or severe pulmonic regurgitation [3,4,6-8]:
●Severe RVOT obstruction with no or mild pulmonary regurgitation, with either of the following:
•Symptoms related to RVOT obstruction (<65 percent of expected exercise tolerance) plus a peak continuous wave Doppler velocity of >3.5 m/s orTo continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Bonhoeffer P, Boudjemline Y, Saliba Z, et al. Percutaneous replacement of pulmonary valve in a right-ventricle to pulmonary-artery prosthetic conduit with valve dysfunction. Lancet 2000; 356:1403.
- Momenah TS, El Oakley R, Al Najashi K, et al. Extended application of percutaneous pulmonary valve implantation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 53:1859.
- Boudjemline Y, Brugada G, Van-Aerschot I, et al. Outcomes and safety of transcatheter pulmonary valve replacement in patients with large patched right ventricular outflow tracts. Arch Cardiovasc Dis 2012; 105:404.
- Gillespie MJ, Rome JJ, Levi DS, et al. Melody valve implant within failed bioprosthetic valves in the pulmonary position: a multicenter experience. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2012; 5:862.
- Tanase D, Grohmann J, Schubert S, et al. Cracking the ring of Edwards Perimount bioprosthesis with ultrahigh pressure balloons prior to transcatheter valve in valve implantation. Int J Cardiol 2014; 176:1048.
- Eicken A, Hess J. Percutaneous pulmonary valve implantation: the Munich experience. Interventional Cardiology 2012; 4:193.
- Eicken A, Ewert P, Hager A, et al. Percutaneous pulmonary valve implantation: two-centre experience with more than 100 patients. Eur Heart J 2011; 32:1260.
- McElhinney DB, Hellenbrand WE, Zahn EM, et al. Short- and medium-term outcomes after transcatheter pulmonary valve placement in the expanded multicenter US melody valve trial. Circulation 2010; 122:507.
- Baumgartner H, Bonhoeffer P, De Groot NM, et al. ESC Guidelines for the management of grown-up congenital heart disease (new version 2010). Eur Heart J 2010; 31:2915.
- Sridharan S, Coats L, Khambadkone S, et al. Images in cardiovascular medicine. Transcatheter right ventricular outflow tract intervention: the risk to the coronary circulation. Circulation 2006; 113:e934.
- Cao QL, Kenny D, Zhou D, et al. Early clinical experience with a novel self-expanding percutaneous stent-valve in the native right ventricular outflow tract. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2014; 84:1131.
- Husain J, Praichasilchai P, Gilbert Y, et al. Early European experience with the Venus P-valve®: filling the gap in percutaneous pulmonary valve implantation. EuroIntervention 2016; 12:e643.
- Zahn EM, Hellenbrand WE, Lock JE, McElhinney DB. Implantation of the melody transcatheter pulmonary valve in patients with a dysfunctional right ventricular outflow tract conduit early results from the u.s. Clinical trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 54:1722.
- Garay F, Webb J, Hijazi ZM. Percutaneous replacement of pulmonary valve using the Edwards-Cribier percutaneous heart valve: first report in a human patient. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2006; 67:659.
- Boone RH, Webb JG, Horlick E, et al. Transcatheter pulmonary valve implantation using the Edwards SAPIEN transcatheter heart valve. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2010; 75:286.
- Kenny D, Hijazi ZM, Kar S, et al. Percutaneous implantation of the Edwards SAPIEN transcatheter heart valve for conduit failure in the pulmonary position: early phase 1 results from an international multicenter clinical trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011; 58:2248.
- Nordmeyer J, Lurz P, Khambadkone S, et al. Pre-stenting with a bare metal stent before percutaneous pulmonary valve implantation: acute and 1-year outcomes. Heart 2011; 97:118.
- Nordmeyer J, Coats L, Lurz P, et al. Percutaneous pulmonary valve-in-valve implantation: a successful treatment concept for early device failure. Eur Heart J 2008; 29:810.
- Cullen MW, Cabalka AK, Alli OO, et al. Transvenous, antegrade Melody valve-in-valve implantation for bioprosthetic mitral and tricuspid valve dysfunction: a case series in children and adults. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2013; 6:598.
- Cheatham JP, Hellenbrand WE, Zahn EM, et al. Clinical and hemodynamic outcomes up to 7 years after transcatheter pulmonary valve replacement in the US melody valve investigational device exemption trial. Circulation 2015; 131:1960.
- Lurz P, Coats L, Khambadkone S, et al. Percutaneous pulmonary valve implantation: impact of evolving technology and learning curve on clinical outcome. Circulation 2008; 117:1964.
- Butera G, Milanesi O, Spadoni I, et al. Melody transcatheter pulmonary valve implantation. Results from the registry of the Italian Society of Pediatric Cardiology. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2013; 81:310.
- Jones TK, Rome JJ, Armstrong AK, et al. Transcatheter Pulmonary Valve Replacement Reduces Tricuspid Regurgitation in Patients With Right Ventricular Volume/Pressure Overload. J Am Coll Cardiol 2016; 68:1525.
- Tanase D, Ewert P, Georgiev S, et al. Tricuspid Regurgitation Does Not Impact Right Ventricular Remodeling After Percutaneous Pulmonary Valve Implantation. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2017; 10:701.
- Mauri L, Frigiola A, Butera G. Emergency surgery for extrinsic coronary compression after percutaneous pulmonary valve implantation. Cardiol Young 2013; 23:463.
- Nordmeyer J, Khambadkone S, Coats L, et al. Risk stratification, systematic classification, and anticipatory management strategies for stent fracture after percutaneous pulmonary valve implantation. Circulation 2007; 115:1392.
- McElhinney DB, Cheatham JP, Jones TK, et al. Stent fracture, valve dysfunction, and right ventricular outflow tract reintervention after transcatheter pulmonary valve implantation: patient-related and procedural risk factors in the US Melody Valve Trial. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2011; 4:602.
- Buber J, Bergersen L, Lock JE, et al. Bloodstream infections occurring in patients with percutaneously implanted bioprosthetic pulmonary valve: a single-center experience. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2013; 6:301.
- McElhinney DB, Benson LN, Eicken A, et al. Infective endocarditis after transcatheter pulmonary valve replacement using the Melody valve: combined results of 3 prospective North American and European studies. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2013; 6:292.
- Cheung G, Vejlstrup N, Ihlemann N, et al. Infective endocarditis following percutaneous pulmonary valve replacement: diagnostic challenges and application of intra-cardiac echocardiography. Int J Cardiol 2013; 169:425.
- Dilber D, Hörer J, Malcic I, et al. Percutaneous pulmonary valve implantation and surgical valve replacement in patients with right ventricular outflow tract dysfunction--a complementary treatment concept. Int J Cardiol 2013; 169:e3.
- Corno AF, Hurni M, Griffin H, et al. Bovine jugular vein as right ventricle-to-pulmonary artery valved conduit. J Heart Valve Dis 2002; 11:242.
- Breymann T, Boethig D, Goerg R, Thies WR. The Contegra bovine valved jugular vein conduit for pediatric RVOT reconstruction: 4 years experience with 108 patients. J Card Surg 2004; 19:426.
- Bové T, Demanet H, Wauthy P, et al. Early results of valved bovine jugular vein conduit versus bicuspid homograft for right ventricular outflow tract reconstruction. Ann Thorac Surg 2002; 74:536.
- Carrel T, Berdat P, Pavlovic M, Pfammatter JP. The bovine jugular vein: a totally integrated valved conduit to repair the right ventricular outflow. J Heart Valve Dis 2002; 11:552.
- Boudjemline Y, Bonnet D, Massih TA, et al. Use of bovine jugular vein to reconstruct the right ventricular outflow tract: early results. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003; 126:490.
- Tiete AR, Sachweh JS, Roemer U, et al. Right ventricular outflow tract reconstruction with the Contegra bovine jugular vein conduit: a word of caution. Ann Thorac Surg 2004; 77:2151.
- Meyns B, Van Garsse L, Boshoff D, et al. The Contegra conduit in the right ventricular outflow tract induces supravalvular stenosis. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2004; 128:834.
- Shebani SO, McGuirk S, Baghai M, et al. Right ventricular outflow tract reconstruction using Contegra valved conduit: natural history and conduit performance under pressure. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2006; 29:397.
- Van Dijck I, Budts W, Cools B, et al. Infective endocarditis of a transcatheter pulmonary valve in comparison with surgical implants. Heart 2015; 101:788.
- Hascoet S, Mauri L, Claude C, et al. Infective Endocarditis Risk After Percutaneous Pulmonary Valve Implantation With the Melody and Sapien Valves. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2017; 10:510.
- Miranda WR, Connolly HM, Bonnichsen CR, et al. Prosthetic pulmonary valve and pulmonary conduit endocarditis: clinical, microbiological and echocardiographic features in adults. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 2016; 17:936.
- INDICATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS
- Our approach
- Major society guidelines
- IMPLANTATION TECHNIQUE
- Balloon test
- Valve types
- Melody valve
- Sapien valve
- Coronary artery compression
- Conduit rupture
- Stent fracture
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS