Penicillin skin testing
- Roland Solensky, MD
Roland Solensky, MD
- Oregon State University/Oregon Health and Science University College of Pharmacy
Penicillin skin testing is a tool used in the diagnosis of penicillin allergy. This topic will review the indications, safety, protocols, and interpretation of skin testing with penicillin and the aminopenicillins (amoxicillin and ampicillin).
An overview of allergy skin testing (for various types of allergens), a general discussion of the diagnosis of drug allergy, and the clinical manifestations of penicillin allergy, are discussed separately. (See "Overview of skin testing for allergic disease" and "An approach to the patient with drug allergy" and "Penicillin allergy: Immediate reactions".)
IMMEDIATE PENICILLIN REACTIONS
Penicillins include the following:
●The natural penicillins – Penicillin V (oral), penicillin G (parenteral), benzathine penicillin (intramuscular), and procaine penicillin (intramuscular)
●The antistaphylococcal penicillins – Dicloxacillin, nafcillin, oxacillin, and cloxacillinTo continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Joint Task Force on Practice Parameters, American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, Joint Council of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. Drug allergy: an updated practice parameter. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2010; 105:259.
- Park M, Markus P, Matesic D, Li JT. Safety and effectiveness of a preoperative allergy clinic in decreasing vancomycin use in patients with a history of penicillin allergy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2006; 97:681.
- Gadde J, Spence M, Wheeler B, Adkinson NF Jr. Clinical experience with penicillin skin testing in a large inner-city STD clinic. JAMA 1993; 270:2456.
- Green GR, Rosenblum AH, Sweet LC. Evaluation of penicillin hypersensitivity: value of clinical history and skin testing with penicilloyl-polylysine and penicillin G. A cooperative prospective study of the penicillin study group of the American Academy of Allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1977; 60:339.
- Valyasevi MA, Van Dellen RG. Frequency of systematic reactions to penicillin skin tests. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2000; 85:363.
- Sullivan TJ, Wedner HJ, Shatz GS, et al. Skin testing to detect penicillin allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1981; 68:171.
- Macy E. Penicillin skin testing in pregnant women with a history of penicillin allergy and group B streptococcus colonization. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2006; 97:164.
- del Real GA, Rose ME, Ramirez-Atamoros MT, et al. Penicillin skin testing in patients with a history of beta-lactam allergy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2007; 98:355.
- Arroliga ME, Radojicic C, Gordon SM, et al. A prospective observational study of the effect of penicillin skin testing on antibiotic use in the intensive care unit. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2003; 24:347.
- Rimawi RH, Mazer MA. Expanding the pool of healthcare providers to perform penicillin skin testing in the ICU. Intensive Care Med 2014; 40:462.
- Fox SJ, Park MA. Penicillin skin testing is a safe and effective tool for evaluating penicillin allergy in the pediatric population. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2014; 2:439.
- Confino-Cohen R, Rosman Y, Meir-Shafrir K, et al. Oral Challenge without Skin Testing Safely Excludes Clinically Significant Delayed-Onset Penicillin Hypersensitivity. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2017; 5:669.
- Macy E, Richter PK, Falkoff R, Zeiger R. Skin testing with penicilloate and penilloate prepared by an improved method: amoxicillin oral challenge in patients with negative skin test responses to penicillin reagents. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1997; 100:586.
- Bousquet PJ, Co-Minh HB, Arnoux B, et al. Importance of mixture of minor determinants and benzylpenicilloyl poly-L-lysine skin testing in the diagnosis of beta-lactam allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2005; 115:1314.
- Bousquet PJ, Pipet A, Bousquet-Rouanet L, Demoly P. Oral challenges are needed in the diagnosis of beta-lactam hypersensitivity. Clin Exp Allergy 2008; 38:185.
- Matheu V, Pérez E, González R, et al. Assessment of a new brand of determinants for skin testing in a large group of patients with suspected beta-lactam allergy. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2007; 17:257.
- Adkinson NF, personal communication.
- Sogn DD, Evans R 3rd, Shepherd GM, et al. Results of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Collaborative Clinical Trial to test the predictive value of skin testing with major and minor penicillin derivatives in hospitalized adults. Arch Intern Med 1992; 152:1025.
- Macy E, Burchette RJ. Oral antibiotic adverse reactions after penicillin skin testing: multi-year follow-up. Allergy 2002; 57:1151.
- Jost BC, Wedner HJ, Bloomberg GR. Elective penicillin skin testing in a pediatric outpatient setting. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2006; 97:807.
- Park MA, Matesic D, Markus PJ, Li JT. Female sex as a risk factor for penicillin allergy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2007; 99:54.
- BROWN BC, PRICE EV, MOORE MB Jr. PENICILLOYL-POLYLYSINE AS AN INTRADERMAL TEST OF PENICILLIN SENSITIVITY. JAMA 1964; 189:599.
- Shepherd G. Clinical experience using only PrePen and penicillin G to detect penicillin allergy in hospitalized patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1997; 99:S134 (Abstract).
- Solley GO, Gleich GJ, Van Dellen RG. Penicillin allergy: clinical experience with a battery of skin-test reagents. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1982; 69:238.
- Picard M, Paradis L, Bégin P, et al. Skin testing only with penicillin G in children with a history of penicillin allergy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2014; 113:75.
- Moss RB. Drug allergy in cystic fibrosis. Clin Rev Allergy 1991; 9:211.
- Blanca M, Vega JM, Garcia J, et al. Allergy to penicillin with good tolerance to other penicillins; study of the incidence in subjects allergic to beta-lactams. Clin Exp Allergy 1990; 20:475.
- Vega JM, Blanca M, García JJ, et al. Immediate allergic reactions to amoxicillin. Allergy 1994; 49:317.
- Blanca M, Perez E, Garcia J, et al. Anaphylaxis to amoxycillin but good tolerance for benzyl penicillin. In vivo and in vitro studies of specific IgE antibodies. Allergy 1988; 43:508.
- Miranda A, Blanca M, Vega JM, et al. Cross-reactivity between a penicillin and a cephalosporin with the same side chain. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1996; 98:671.
- Marcos Bravo C, Luna Ortiz I, González Vázquez R. Hypersensitivity to cefuroxime with good tolerance to other betalactams. Allergy 1995; 50:359.
- Sastre J, Quijano LD, Novalbos A, et al. Clinical cross-reactivity between amoxicillin and cephadroxil in patients allergic to amoxicillin and with good tolerance of penicillin. Allergy 1996; 51:383.
- Amoxicillin is available from Sigma-Aldrich, St Louis, MO (product number A 8523). This preparation is not intended for human administration, and use in skin testing may require IRB approval at some centers. www.sigmaldrich.com (Accessed on October 10, 2011).
- Montañez MI, Torres MJ, Perez-Inestrosa E, Blanca M. Clarification concerning amoxicillin skin testing. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 128:685; author reply 686.
- Fernandez-Rivas M, Perez Carral C, Cuevas M, et al. Selective allergic reactions to clavulanic acid. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1995; 95:748.
- Torres MJ, Ariza A, Mayorga C, et al. Clavulanic acid can be the component in amoxicillin-clavulanic acid responsible for immediate hypersensitivity reactions. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:502.
- Caubet JC, Kaiser L, Lemaître B, et al. The role of penicillin in benign skin rashes in childhood: a prospective study based on drug rechallenge. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127:218.
- Adkinson NF Jr, Thompson WL, Maddrey WC, Lichtenstein LM. Routine use of penicillin skin testing on an inpatient service. N Engl J Med 1971; 285:22.
- Chandra RK, Joglekar SA, Tomas E. Penicillin allergy: anti-penicillin IgE antibodies and immediate hypersensitivity skin reactions employing major and minor determinants of penicillin. Arch Dis Child 1980; 55:857.
- Levine BB, Zolov DM. Prediction of penicillin allergy by immunological tests. J Allergy 1969; 43:231.
- Hunt KJ, Valentine MD, Sobotka AK, et al. A controlled trial of immunotherapy in insect hypersensitivity. N Engl J Med 1978; 299:157.
- Goldberg A, Confino-Cohen R. Skin testing and oral penicillin challenge in patients with a history of remote penicillin allergy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2008; 100:37.
- Mendelson LM, Ressler C, Rosen JP, Selcow JE. Routine elective penicillin allergy skin testing in children and adolescents: study of sensitization. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1984; 73:76.
- Kamboj S, Yousef E, McGeady S, Hossain J. The prevalence of antibiotic skin test reactivity in a pediatric population. Allergy Asthma Proc 2011; 32:99.
- Macy E, Mangat R, Burchette RJ. Penicillin skin testing in advance of need: multiyear follow-up in 568 test result-negative subjects exposed to oral penicillins. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003; 111:1111.
- Warrington RJ, Burton R, Tsai E. The value of routine penicillin allergy skin testing in an outpatient population. Allergy Asthma Proc 2003; 24:199.
- Macy E. Elective penicillin skin testing and amoxicillin challenge: effect on outpatient antibiotic use, cost, and clinical outcomes. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1998; 102:281.
- Solensky R, Earl HS, Gruchalla RS. Lack of penicillin resensitization in patients with a history of penicillin allergy after receiving repeated penicillin courses. Arch Intern Med 2002; 162:822.
- Hershkovich J, Broides A, Kirjner L, et al. Beta lactam allergy and resensitization in children with suspected beta lactam allergy. Clin Exp Allergy 2009; 39:726.
- Perencevich EN, Weller PF, Samore MH, Harris AD. Benefits of negative penicillin skin test results persist during subsequent hospital admissions. Clin Infect Dis 2001; 32:317.
- Parker PJ, Parrinello JT, Condemi JJ, Rosenfeld SI. Penicillin resensitization among hospitalized patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1991; 88:213.
- Lopez-Serrano MC, Caballero MT, Barranco P, Martinez-Alzamora F. Booster responses in the study of allergic reactions to beta-lactam antibiotics. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 1996; 6:30.
- Bittner A, Greenberger PA. Incidence of resensitization after tolerating penicillin treatment in penicillin-allergic patients. Allergy Asthma Proc 2004; 25:161.
- IMMEDIATE PENICILLIN REACTIONS
- MECHANISM OF SKIN TESTING
- Patient preparation
- Skin testing reagents and concentrations
- - Controls
- - Major determinant
- - Minor determinants
- - Aminopenicillins
- - Clavulanate testing in patient reactive to amoxicillin-clavulanate
- INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS
- Positive predictive value
- Negative predictive value
- - Confirmatory challenge after negative skin testing
- SOCIETY GUIDELINE LINKS
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS