Overview of upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (esophagogastroduodenoscopy)
- Jonathan Cohen, MD
Jonathan Cohen, MD
- Clinical Professor of Medicine
- New York University School of Medicine
- David A Greenwald, MD, FASGE, FACG
David A Greenwald, MD, FASGE, FACG
- Professor of Clinical Medicine
- The Mount Sinai Hospital
Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (esophagogastroduodenoscopy, EGD) includes visualization of the oropharynx, esophagus, stomach, and proximal duodenum, with real-time assessment and interpretation of the findings encountered. A variety of technical and cognitive aspects must be mastered in order to perform a high-quality examination. The basic technical components of upper endoscopy also serve as the platform upon which many therapeutic interventions are based.
The elements of high-quality performance in endoscopy have been well described and include the following [1,2]:
Prior to the procedure
●Appropriate indications and adherence to guidelines
●Suitable environment with adequate support teamTo continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Cohen J, Pike IM. Defining and measuring quality in endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 81:1.
- Rizk MK, Sawhney MS, Cohen J, et al. Quality indicators common to all GI endoscopic procedures. Am J Gastroenterol 2015; 110:48.
- ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Early DS, Ben-Menachem T, et al. Appropriate use of GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2012; 75:1127.
- ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Muthusamy VR, Lightdale JR, et al. The role of endoscopy in the management of GERD. Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 81:1305.
- ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Evans JA, Early DS, et al. The role of endoscopy in Barrett's esophagus and other premalignant conditions of the esophagus. Gastrointest Endosc 2012; 76:1087.
- ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Evans JA, Chandrasekhara V, et al. The role of endoscopy in the management of premalignant and malignant conditions of the stomach. Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 82:1.
- Lundegårdh G, Adami HO, Helmick C, et al. Stomach cancer after partial gastrectomy for benign ulcer disease. N Engl J Med 1988; 319:195.
- MING SC, GOLDMAN H. GASTRIC POLYPS; A HISTOGENETIC CLASSIFICATION AND ITS RELATION TO CARCINOMA. Cancer 1965; 18:721.
- Huang JQ, Sridhar S, Chen Y, Hunt RH. Meta-analysis of the relationship between Helicobacter pylori seropositivity and gastric cancer. Gastroenterology 1998; 114:1169.
- Ohata H, Kitauchi S, Yoshimura N, et al. Progression of chronic atrophic gastritis associated with Helicobacter pylori infection increases risk of gastric cancer. Int J Cancer 2004; 109:138.
- Kokkola A, Sjöblom SM, Haapiainen R, et al. The risk of gastric carcinoma and carcinoid tumours in patients with pernicious anaemia. A prospective follow-up study. Scand J Gastroenterol 1998; 33:88.
- Alexander JR, Andrews JM, Buchi KN, et al. High prevalence of adenomatous polyps of the duodenal papilla in familial adenomatous polyposis. Dig Dis Sci 1989; 34:167.
- Aarnio M, Salovaara R, Aaltonen LA, et al. Features of gastric cancer in hereditary non-polyposis colorectal cancer syndrome. Int J Cancer 1997; 74:551.
- Yatsuya H, Toyoshima H, Tamakoshi A, et al. Individual and joint impact of family history and Helicobacter pylori infection on the risk of stomach cancer: a nested case-control study. Br J Cancer 2004; 91:929.
- Chen MJ, Wu DC, Ko YC, Chiou YY. Personal history and family history as a predictor of gastric cardiac adenocarcinoma risk: a case-control study in Taiwan. Am J Gastroenterol 2004; 99:1250.
- Boeing H. Epidemiological research in stomach cancer: progress over the last ten years. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 1991; 117:133.
- Yachimski P, Hur C. Upper endoscopy in patients with acute myocardial infarction and upper gastrointestinal bleeding: results of a decision analysis. Dig Dis Sci 2009; 54:701.
- Fleisher LA, Fleischmann KE, Auerbach AD, et al. 2014 ACC/AHA guideline on perioperative cardiovascular evaluation and management of patients undergoing noncardiac surgery: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 64:e77.
- Faigel DO, Eisen GM, Baron TH, et al. Preparation of patients for GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2003; 57:446.
- American Society of Anesthesiologists Committee. Practice guidelines for preoperative fasting and the use of pharmacologic agents to reduce the risk of pulmonary aspiration: application to healthy patients undergoing elective procedures: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Committee on Standards and Practice Parameters. Anesthesiology 2011; 114:495.
- ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Anderson MA, Ben-Menachem T, et al. Management of antithrombotic agents for endoscopic procedures. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 70:1060.
- ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Pasha SF, Acosta R, et al. Routine laboratory testing before endoscopic procedures. Gastrointest Endosc 2014; 80:28.
- Standards of Practice Committee of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Lichtenstein DR, Jagannath S, et al. Sedation and anesthesia in GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2008; 68:815.
- Sharma VK, Nguyen CC, Crowell MD, et al. A national study of cardiopulmonary unplanned events after GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2007; 66:27.
- Cohen LB, Delegge MH, Aisenberg J, et al. AGA Institute review of endoscopic sedation. Gastroenterology 2007; 133:675.
- Standards of Practice Committee, Zuckerman MJ, Shen B, et al. Informed consent for GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2007; 66:213.
- Plumeri PA. Informed consent for gastrointestinal endoscopy in the '90s and beyond. Gastrointest Endosc 1994; 40:379.
- Davis DE, Jones MP, Kubik CM. Topical pharyngeal anesthesia does not improve upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in conscious sedated patients. Am J Gastroenterol 1999; 94:1853.
- Jafri SM, Arora G, Triadafilopoulos G. What is left of the endoscopic antireflux devices? Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2009; 25:352.
- Faigel DO, Eisen GM, Baron TH, et al. Tissue sampling and analysis. Gastrointest Endosc 2003; 57:811.
- Cohen J. The impact of tissue sampling on endoscopy efficiency. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 2004; 14:725.
- Wright ER, Bakis G, Srinivasan R, et al. Intraprocedural tissue diagnosis during ERCP employing a new cytology preparation of forceps biopsy (Smash protocol). Am J Gastroenterol 2011; 106:294.
- ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Ben-Menachem T, Decker GA, et al. Adverse events of upper GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2012; 76:707.
- Silvis SE, Nebel O, Rogers G, et al. Endoscopic complications. Results of the 1974 American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Survey. JAMA 1976; 235:928.
- Geraci G, Pisello F, Modica G, et al. [Complications of elective esophago-gastro-duodenoscopy (EGDS). Personal experience and literature review]. G Chir 2009; 30:502.
- Wolfsen HC, Hemminger LL, Achem SR, et al. Complications of endoscopy of the upper gastrointestinal tract: a single-center experience. Mayo Clin Proc 2004; 79:1264.
- Quine MA, Bell GD, McCloy RF, et al. Prospective audit of upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in two regions of England: safety, staffing, and sedation methods. Gut 1995; 36:462.
- Arrowsmith JB, Gerstman BB, Fleischer DE, Benjamin SB. Results from the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy/U.S. Food and Drug Administration collaborative study on complication rates and drug use during gastrointestinal endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 1991; 37:421.
- Darling R, Roughton F. The effect of methemoglobin on the equilibrium between oxygen and hemoglobin. Am J Physiol 1942; 137:56.
- Henry LR, Pizzini M, Delarso B, Ridge JA. Methemoglobinemia: early intraoperative detection by clinical observation. Laryngoscope 2004; 114:2025.
- Chirica M, Champault A, Dray X, et al. Esophageal perforations. J Visc Surg 2010; 147:e117.
- Epstein L, Hunter JC, Arwady MA, et al. New Delhi metallo-β-lactamase-producing carbapenem-resistant Escherichia coli associated with exposure to duodenoscopes. JAMA 2014; 312:1447.
- Park WG, Shaheen NJ, Cohen J, et al. Quality indicators for EGD. Am J Gastroenterol 2015; 110:60.
- PATIENT SELECTION
- - Diagnostic examinations
- - Caustic ingestions
- - Screening/surveillance
- - Planned therapeutic intervention
- Important considerations
- PATIENT PREPARATION
- Management of anticoagulants
- Antibiotic prophylaxis
- Preprocedure testing
- SEDATION ASSESSMENT
- INFORMED CONSENT
- Intubation with the endoscope
- Esophagus and esophagogastric junction
- Pyloric intubation
- DIAGNOSTIC AND THERAPEUTIC MANEUVERS
- Tissue sampling
- PHOTODOCUMENTATION AND REPORTING
- TROUBLESHOOTING COMMON PROBLEMS IN UPPER ENDOSCOPY
- Complications related to sedation
- QUALITY INDICATORS FOR EGD
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS