Overview of hemodialysis arteriovenous fistula maintenance and thrombosis prevention
- Michael Allon, MD
Michael Allon, MD
- Professor of Medicine
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Section Editors
- Jeffrey S Berns, MD
Jeffrey S Berns, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Nephrology
- Section Editor — Dialysis
- Professor of Medicine
- Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
- David L Cull, MD
David L Cull, MD
- Section Editor — Arterial and Venous Access
- Clinical Professor, Department of Surgery
- University of South Carolina School of Medicine
This topic provides an overview of general issues regarding arteriovenous (AV) fistula maintenance, including measures to prevent AV fistula thrombosis and management of the high-risk fistula. These same considerations with respect to AV grafts are reviewed separately. (See "Overview of hemodialysis arteriovenous graft maintenance and thrombosis prevention".)
RISK FACTORS FOR AV FISTULA THROMBOSIS
Many factors influence the choice of type and location for AV fistula creation and should be taken into account during patient selection and surgical creation of the fistula. Although some of these factors affect outcomes, once the access has been placed, they cannot generally be modified. (See "Overview of chronic hemodialysis vascular access" and "Risk factors for hemodialysis arteriovenous fistula failure".)
Other factors that can lead to AV fistula dysfunction and thrombosis include:
●Pre-existing stenotic lesions
●Cannulation injury/more frequent cannulation (ie, daily hemodialysis)To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Mudoni A, Cornacchiari M, Gallieni M, et al. Aneurysms and pseudoaneurysms in dialysis access. Clin Kidney J 2015; 8:363.
- https://www.kidney.org/sites/default/files/docs/12-50-0210_jag_dcp_guidelines-va_oct06_sectionc_ofc.pdf (Accessed on March 13, 2017).
- https://www.pennmedicine.org/departments-and-centers/department-of-radiology/patient-care/radiology/interventional-radiology/procedures-and-services/hemodialysis-access (Accessed on March 13, 2017).
- Saran R, Dykstra DM, Pisoni RL, et al. Timing of first cannulation and vascular access failure in haemodialysis: an analysis of practice patterns at dialysis facilities in the DOPPS. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2004; 19:2334.
- Beathard GA. An algorithm for the physical examination of early fistula failure. Semin Dial 2005; 18:331.
- Twardowski ZJ, Harper G. Buttonhole method of needle insertion into arteriovenous fistulas. 1997.
- Twardowski Z, Kubara H. Different sites versus constant sites of needle insertion into arteriovenous fistulas for treatment by repeated dialysis. Dial Transpl 1979; 8:978.
- Hashmi A, Cheema MQ, Moss AH. Hemodialysis patients' experience with and attitudes toward the buttonhole technique for arteriovenous fistula cannulation. Clin Nephrol 2010; 74:346.
- Nesrallah GE, Cuerden M, Wong JH, Pierratos A. Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia and buttonhole cannulation: long-term safety and efficacy of mupirocin prophylaxis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2010; 5:1047.
- Morselli C, Chiari P, Aliberti T, et al. SHARP VERSUS BLUNT DIALYSIS NEEDLE USE WITH BUTTONHOLE METHOD: OPEN RANDOMISED TRIAL. J Ren Care 2015; 41:213.
- Jennings WC, Galt SW, Shenoy S, et al. The Venous Window Needle Guide, a hemodialysis cannulation device for salvage of uncannulatable arteriovenous fistulas. J Vasc Surg 2014; 60:1024.
- Vaux E, King J, Lloyd S, et al. Effect of buttonhole cannulation with a polycarbonate PEG on in-center hemodialysis fistula outcomes: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Kidney Dis 2013; 62:81.
- Struthers J, Allan A, Peel RK, Lambie SH. Buttonhole needling of ateriovenous fistulae: a randomized controlled trial. ASAIO J 2010; 56:319.
- Chow J, Rayment G, San Miguel S, Gilbert M. A randomised controlled trial of buttonhole cannulation for the prevention of fistula access complications. J Ren Care 2011; 37:85.
- Toma S, Shinzato T, Fukui H, et al. A timesaving method to create a fixed puncture route for the buttonhole technique. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2003; 18:2118.
- MacRae JM, Ahmed SB, Atkar R, Hemmelgarn BR. A randomized trial comparing buttonhole with rope ladder needling in conventional hemodialysis patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2012; 7:1632.
- Macrae JM, Ahmed SB, Hemmelgarn BR, Alberta Kidney Disease Network. Arteriovenous fistula survival and needling technique: long-term results from a randomized buttonhole trial. Am J Kidney Dis 2014; 63:636.
- Wong B, Muneer M, Wiebe N, et al. Buttonhole versus rope-ladder cannulation of arteriovenous fistulas for hemodialysis: a systematic review. Am J Kidney Dis 2014; 64:918.
- Di Nicolò P, Cornacchiari M, Mereghetti M, Mudoni A. Buttonhole Cannulation of the AV Fistula: A Critical Analysis of the Technique. Semin Dial 2017; 30:32.
- Atkar RK, MacRae JM. The buttonhole technique for fistula cannulation: pros and cons. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2013; 22:629.
- Tokars JI, Arduino MJ, Alter MJ. Infection control in hemodialysis units. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2001; 15:797.
- https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5005a1.htm (Accessed on March 13, 2017).
- Arenas MD, Sánchez-Payá J, Barril G, et al. A multicentric survey of the practice of hand hygiene in haemodialysis units: factors affecting compliance. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2005; 20:1164.
- Tanner NC, Da Silva A. Medical adjuvant treatment to increase patency of arteriovenous fistulae and grafts. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; :CD002786.
- Eleftheriadis T, Antoniadi G, Akritidou A, et al. A case report of recurrent vascular access thrombosis in a hemodialysis patient reveals combined acquired and inherited thrombophilia. Ther Apher Dial 2008; 12:190.
- Geenen IL, Kolk FF, Molin DG, et al. Nitric Oxide Resistance Reduces Arteriovenous Fistula Maturation in Chronic Kidney Disease in Rats. PLoS One 2016; 11:e0146212.
- Bhomi KK, Shrestha S, Bhattachan CL. Role of systemic anticoagulation in patients undergoing vascular access surgery. Nepal Med Coll J 2008; 10:222.
- D'Ayala M, Smith RM, Martone C, et al. The effect of systemic anticoagulation in patients undergoing angioaccess surgery. Ann Vasc Surg 2008; 22:11.
- Irish AB, Viecelli AK, Hawley CM, et al. Effect of Fish Oil Supplementation and Aspirin Use on Arteriovenous Fistula Failure in Patients Requiring Hemodialysis: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Intern Med 2017; 177:184.
- Andrassy K, Malluche H, Bornefeld H, et al. Prevention of p.o. clotting of av. cimino fistulae with acetylsalicyl acid. Results of a prospective double blind study. Klin Wochenschr 1974; 52:348.
- Dember LM, Beck GJ, Allon M, et al. Effect of clopidogrel on early failure of arteriovenous fistulas for hemodialysis: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2008; 299:2164.
- Ghorbani A, Aalamshah M, Shahbazian H, et al. Randomized controlled trial of clopidogrel to prevent primary arteriovenous fistula failure in hemodialysis patients. Indian J Nephrol 2009; 19:57.
- Gröntoft KC, Larsson R, Mulec H, et al. Effects of ticlopidine in AV-fistula surgery in uremia. Fistula Study Group. Scand J Urol Nephrol 1998; 32:276.
- Gröntoft KC, Mulec H, Gutierrez A, Olander R. Thromboprophylactic effect of ticlopidine in arteriovenous fistulas for haemodialysis. Scand J Urol Nephrol 1985; 19:55.
- Fiskerstrand CE, Thompson IW, Burnet ME, et al. Double-blind randomized trial of the effect of ticlopidine in arteriovenous fistulas for hemodialysis. Artif Organs 1985; 9:61.
- Dixon BS. Fish oil and hemodialysis graft patency: does time matter? JAMA 2012; 307:1859.
- Russell TE, Kasper GC, Seiwert AJ, et al. Cilostazol May Improve Maturation Rates and Durability of Vascular Access for Hemodialysis. Vasc Endovascular Surg 2017; 51:120.
- RISK FACTORS FOR AV FISTULA THROMBOSIS
- ROUTINE FISTULA MAINTENANCE AND CARE
- Cannulation and decannulation
- - Inspection prior to initial cannulation
- - Standard versus buttonhole technique
- - General procedure
- - Cannulating a fistula
- - Decannulating a fistula
- - Cannulation difficulty or failure
- Care between dialysis sessions
- HIGH-RISK AV FISTULAS
- Nonmaturing AV fistula
- Venous stenotic lesions
- Thrombosis without identified stenotic lesion
- AV fistula with aneurysm
- Secondary AV fistula
- INEFFECTIVE AND INVESTIGATIONAL THERAPIES
- Antithrombotic therapies
- Fish oil
- Phosphodiesterase inhibitors
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS