Overview of chronic daily headache
- Ivan Garza, MD
Ivan Garza, MD
- Assistant Professor of Neurology
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Todd J Schwedt, MD, MSCI
Todd J Schwedt, MD, MSCI
- Professor of Neurology
- Mayo Clinic
Chronic daily headache (CDH) is a descriptive term that encompasses several different specific headache diagnoses characterized by frequent headaches.
Primary chronic daily headache subtypes of long duration (ie, four hours or more) are chronic migraine, chronic tension-type headache, medication overuse headache, hemicrania continua, and new daily persistent headache.
Primary headache types of shorter duration that can be chronic and occur daily are chronic cluster headache, chronic paroxysmal hemicrania, hypnic headache, and primary stabbing headache.
This topic will provide an overview of the subtypes of primary CDH. These headache subtypes are discussed in greater detail individually in appropriate separate topic reviews.
Chronic daily headache (CDH) is not a specific headache type, but a syndrome that encompasses other primary and secondary headaches. The term "chronic" in CDH refers either to the frequency of headaches or to the duration of the disease, depending upon the specific headache type.
- Silberstein SD, Lipton RB, Sliwinski M. Classification of daily and near-daily headaches: field trial of revised IHS criteria. Neurology 1996; 47:871.
- Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society (IHS). The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition (beta version). Cephalalgia 2013; 33:629.
- Dodick DW. Clinical practice. Chronic daily headache. N Engl J Med 2006; 354:158.
- Scher AI, Stewart WF, Liberman J, Lipton RB. Prevalence of frequent headache in a population sample. Headache 1998; 38:497.
- Lu SR, Fuh JL, Chen WT, et al. Chronic daily headache in Taipei, Taiwan: prevalence, follow-up and outcome predictors. Cephalalgia 2001; 21:980.
- Wang SJ, Fuh JL, Lu SR, et al. Chronic daily headache in Chinese elderly: prevalence, risk factors, and biannual follow-up. Neurology 2000; 54:314.
- Stewart WF, Ricci JA, Chee E, et al. Lost productive time and cost due to common pain conditions in the US workforce. JAMA 2003; 290:2443.
- Abu Bakar N, Tanprawate S, Lambru G, et al. Quality of life in primary headache disorders: A review. Cephalalgia 2016; 36:67.
- Chronic migraine
- Chronic tension-type headache
- Medication overuse headache
- Hemicrania continua
- New daily persistent headache
- Chronic cluster headache
- Chronic paroxysmal hemicrania
- Hypnic headache
- Short-lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache attacks
- Primary stabbing headache
- Red flags
- Differential diagnosis
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS