Noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome
- F John Service, MD, PhD
F John Service, MD, PhD
- Emeritus Professor of Medicine
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Adrian Vella, MD
Adrian Vella, MD
- Professor of Medicine
- Mayo Clinic
The noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome (NIPHS) identifies a group of hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemic patients with unique clinical, diagnostic, surgical, and pathologic features [1,2]. These patients experience predominantly postprandial hypoglycemia and have nesidioblastosis with islet cell hypertrophy, findings different from those in patients with insulinomas.
The clinical manifestations, pathological findings, diagnosis, and treatment of NIPHS will be reviewed here. Other causes of hypoglycemia and how to differentiate among these causes are reviewed elsewhere. (See "Hypoglycemia in adults: Clinical manifestations, definition, and causes" and "Hypoglycemia in adults without diabetes mellitus: Diagnostic approach".)
Noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome (NIPHS) is a rare syndrome characterized by endogenous hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia that is not caused by an insulinoma. Pancreatic specimens from such patients show beta cell hypertrophy, islets with enlarged and hyperchromatic nuclei, and increased islets budding from periductular epithelium [1-3]. These histologic findings are characteristic of nesidioblastosis, a term that refers to neoformation of islets of Langerhans from pancreatic duct epithelium . The pathologic findings are similar to those seen in neonates and infants with persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia. (See "Pathogenesis, clinical features, and diagnosis of persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of infancy", section on 'Pathology of the beta cell'.)
Formal epidemiologic studies have not been conducted for NIPHS; however, the condition appears to be rarer than insulinoma. For example, during the period from 1996 to 2004, 20 patients with NIPHS (16 male, 4 female) and 118 patients with insulinoma (51 male, 67 female) were surgically confirmed at the Mayo Clinic [1,2,5].
Although the underlying pathologic features of NIPHS and post-gastric bypass hypoglycemia are similar in most instances, post-gastric bypass hypoglycemia is considered a separate clinical entity. (See 'Nesidioblastosis after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery' below.)To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Service FJ, Natt N, Thompson GB, et al. Noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia: a novel syndrome of hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia in adults independent of mutations in Kir6.2 and SUR1 genes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999; 84:1582.
- Thompson GB, Service FJ, Andrews JC, et al. Noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome: an update in 10 surgically treated patients. Surgery 2000; 128:937.
- Anlauf M, Wieben D, Perren A, et al. Persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia in 15 adults with diffuse nesidioblastosis: diagnostic criteria, incidence, and characterization of beta-cell changes. Am J Surg Pathol 2005; 29:524.
- Laidlaw GF. Nesidioblastoma, the islet tumor of the pancreas. Am J Pathol 1938; 2:125.
- Vanderveen KA, Grant CS, Thompson GB, et al. Outcomes and quality of life after partial pancreatectomy for noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia from diffuse islet cell disease. Surgery 2010; 148:1237.
- Rumilla KM, Erickson LA, Service FJ, et al. Hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia with nesidioblastosis: histologic features and growth factor expression. Mod Pathol 2009; 22:239.
- Kenney B, Tormey CA, Qin L, et al. Adult nesidioblastosis. Clinicopathologic correlation between pre-operative selective arterial calcium stimulation studies and post-operative pathologic findings. JOP 2008; 9:504.
- Won JG, Tseng HS, Yang AH, et al. Clinical features and morphological characterization of 10 patients with noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycaemia syndrome (NIPHS). Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2006; 65:566.
- Sahloul R, Yaqub N, Driscoll HK, et al. Noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome: quantitative and immunohistochemical analyses of islet cells for insulin, glucagon, somatostatin, and pancreatic and duodenal homeobox protein. Endocr Pract 2007; 13:187.
- Hong R, Choi DY, Lim SC. Hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia due to diffuse nesidioblastosis in adults: a case report. World J Gastroenterol 2008; 14:140.
- Tsujino M, Sugiyama T, Nishida K, et al. Noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome: a rare case of adult-onset nesidioblastosis. Intern Med 2005; 44:843.
- Kim HK, Shong YK, Han DJ, et al. Nesidioblastosis in an adult with hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia. Endocr J 1996; 43:163.
- Starke A, Saddig C, Kirch B, et al. Islet hyperplasia in adults: challenge to preoperatively diagnose non-insulinoma pancreatogenic hypoglycemia syndrome. World J Surg 2006; 30:670.
- McElroy MK, Lowy AM, Weidner N. Case report: focal nesidioblastosis ("nesidioblastoma") in an adult. Hum Pathol 2010; 41:447.
- Nathan DM, Axelrod L, Proppe KH, et al. Nesidioblastosis associated with insulin-mediated hypoglycemia in an adult. Diabetes Care 1981; 4:383.
- McHenry C, Newell K, Chejfec G, et al. Adult nesidioblastosis. An unusual cause of fasting hypoglycemia. Am Surg 1989; 55:366.
- de Lonlay P, Fournet JC, Rahier J, et al. Somatic deletion of the imprinted 11p15 region in sporadic persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of infancy is specific of focal adenomatous hyperplasia and endorses partial pancreatectomy. J Clin Invest 1997; 100:802.
- de Lonlay-Debeney P, Poggi-Travert F, Fournet JC, et al. Clinical features of 52 neonates with hyperinsulinism. N Engl J Med 1999; 340:1169.
- Walmsley D, Matheson NA, Ewen S, et al. Nesidioblastosis in an elderly patient. Diabet Med 1995; 12:542.
- Tibaldi JM, Lorber D, Lomasky S, et al. Postprandial hypoglycemia in islet beta cell hyperplasia with adenomatosis of the pancreas. J Surg Oncol 1992; 50:53.
- Burman WJ, McDermott MT, Bornemann M. Familial hyperinsulinism presenting in adults. Arch Intern Med 1992; 152:2125.
- Bell DS, Grizzle WE, Dunlap NE. Nesidioblastosis causing reversal of insulin-dependent diabetes and development of hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia. Diabetes Care 1995; 18:1379.
- Carlson T, Eckhauser ML, DeBaz B, et al. Nesidioblastosis in an adult: an illustrative case and collective review. Am J Gastroenterol 1987; 82:566.
- Raffel A, Krausch M M, Anlauf M, et al. Diffuse nesidioblastosis as a cause of hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia in adults: a diagnostic and therapeutic challenge. Surgery 2007; 141:179.
- Toyomasu Y, Fukuchi M, Yoshida T, et al. Treatment of hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia due to diffuse nesidioblastosis in adults: a case report. Am Surg 2009; 75:331.
- Campbell IL, Harrison LC, Ley CJ, et al. Nesidioblastosis and multifocal pancreatic islet cell hyperplasia in an adult. Clinicopathologic features and in vitro pancreatic studies. Am J Clin Pathol 1985; 84:534.
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 1-1983. A 37-year-old schizophrenic woman with hypoglycemic episode. N Engl J Med 1983; 308:30.
- Sandler R, Horwitz DL, Rubenstein AH, Kuzuya H. Hypoglycemia and endogenous hyperinsulinism complicating diabetes mellitus. Application of the C-peptide assay to diagnosis and therapy. Am J Med 1975; 59:730.
- Rayman G, Santo M, Salomon F, et al. Hyperinsulinaemic hypoglycaemia due to chlorpropamide-induced nesidioblastosis. J Clin Pathol 1984; 37:651.
- Farley DR, van Heerden JA, Myers JL. Adult pancreatic nesidioblastosis. Unusual presentations of a rare entity. Arch Surg 1994; 129:329.
- Thompson NW, Lloyd RV, Nishiyama RH, et al. MEN I pancreas: a histological and immunohistochemical study. World J Surg 1984; 8:561.
- Karnauchow PN. Nesidioblastosis in adults without insular hyperfunction. Am J Clin Pathol 1982; 78:511.
- Goudswaard WB, Houthoff HJ, Koudstaal J, Zwierstra RP. Nesidioblastosis and endocrine hyperplasia of the pancreas: a secondary phenomenon. Hum Pathol 1986; 17:46.
- Placzkowski KA, Vella A, Thompson GB, et al. Secular trends in the presentation and management of functioning insulinoma at the Mayo Clinic, 1987-2007. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009; 94:1069.
- Albers N, Löhr M, Bogner U, et al. Nesidioblastosis of the pancreas in an adult with persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia. Am J Clin Pathol 1989; 91:336.
- Service GJ, Thompson GB, Service FJ, et al. Hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia with nesidioblastosis after gastric-bypass surgery. N Engl J Med 2005; 353:249.
- Patti ME, McMahon G, Mun EC, et al. Severe hypoglycaemia post-gastric bypass requiring partial pancreatectomy: evidence for inappropriate insulin secretion and pancreatic islet hyperplasia. Diabetologia 2005; 48:2236.
- Goldfine AB, Mun E, Patti ME. Hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia following gastric bypass surgery for obesity. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 2006; 13:419.
- Clancy TE, Moore FD Jr, Zinner MJ. Post-gastric bypass hyperinsulinism with nesidioblastosis: subtotal or total pancreatectomy may be needed to prevent recurrent hypoglycemia. J Gastrointest Surg 2006; 10:1116.
- Ritz P, Hanaire H. Post-bypass hypoglycaemia: a review of current findings. Diabetes Metab 2011; 37:274.
- Cummings DE. Gastric bypass and nesidioblastosis--too much of a good thing for islets? N Engl J Med 2005; 353:300.
- Kaiser AM. Hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia with nesidioblastosis after gastric-bypass surgery. N Engl J Med 2005; 353:2192.
- Goldfine AB, Mun EC, Devine E, et al. Patients with neuroglycopenia after gastric bypass surgery have exaggerated incretin and insulin secretory responses to a mixed meal. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92:4678.
- Vella A, Service FJ. Incretin hypersecretion in post-gastric bypass hypoglycemia--primary problem or red herring? J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92:4563.
- Lee CJ, Brown T, Magnuson TH, et al. Hormonal response to a mixed-meal challenge after reversal of gastric bypass for hypoglycemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2013; 98:E1208.
- McLaughlin T, Peck M, Holst J, Deacon C. Reversible hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia after gastric bypass: a consequence of altered nutrient delivery. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010; 95:1851.
- Campos GM, Ziemelis M, Paparodis R, et al. Laparoscopic reversal of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: technique and utility for treatment of endocrine complications. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2014; 10:36.
- Himpens J, Verbrugghe A, Cadière GB, et al. Long-term results of laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass: evaluation after 9 years. Obes Surg 2012; 22:1586.
- Doppman JL, Chang R, Fraker DL, et al. Localization of insulinomas to regions of the pancreas by intra-arterial stimulation with calcium. Ann Intern Med 1995; 123:269.
- O'Shea D, Rohrer-Theurs AW, Lynn JA, et al. Localization of insulinomas by selective intraarterial calcium injection. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996; 81:1623.
- Kellogg TA, Bantle JP, Leslie DB, et al. Postgastric bypass hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia syndrome: characterization and response to a modified diet. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2008; 4:492.
- Spanakis E, Gragnoli C. Successful medical management of status post-Roux-en-Y-gastric-bypass hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia. Obes Surg 2009; 19:1333.
- Moreira RO, Moreira RB, Machado NA, et al. Post-prandial hypoglycemia after bariatric surgery: pharmacological treatment with verapamil and acarbose. Obes Surg 2008; 18:1618.
- Arao T, Okada Y, Hirose A, Tanaka Y. A rare case of adult-onset nesidioblastosis treated successfully with diazoxide. Endocr J 2006; 53:95.
- Nadelson J, Epstein A. A rare case of noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia syndrome. Case Rep Gastrointest Med 2012; 2012:164305.
- Mathavan VK, Arregui M, Davis C, et al. Management of postgastric bypass noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia. Surg Endosc 2010; 24:2547.
- CLINICAL FEATURES
- Biochemical findings
- DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS
- Nesidioblastosis after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery
- - Dumping syndrome
- DIAGNOSTIC EVALUATION
- Laboratory evaluation
- Localization studies
- Mild to moderate symptoms
- Severe or refractory symptoms
- Recurrent symptoms
- SOCIETY GUIDELINE LINKS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS