Nitrofurantoin-induced pulmonary injury
- Justus de Zeeuw, MD
Justus de Zeeuw, MD
- Wuppertal, Germany
- Adrian G Gillissen, MD, PhD, MSc
Adrian G Gillissen, MD, PhD, MSc
- Professor of Medicine
- Ermstalklinik, Department: Med. Klinik III / Pulmonary Medicine
Nitrofurantoin is an antibacterial agent frequently used in the management of urinary tract infections (UTIs). This antimicrobial drug is generally used in the following clinical settings:
●The short-term prophylaxis of infections acquired by invasive urologic diagnostic procedures and operations
●The long-term prevention of recurrent UTIs
●The treatment of acute or recurrent cystitis
The most common adverse reactions to nitrofurantoin (apart from turning the urine color a harmless brown) are nausea (8 percent), headache (6 percent), and flatulence (1.5 percent). Among the rare adverse reactions (<1 percent), pulmonary injury is the most severe .
- Rosenow EC 3rd. The spectrum of drug-induced pulmonary disease. Ann Intern Med 1972; 77:977.
- Mendez JL, Nadrous HF, Hartman TE, Ryu JH. Chronic nitrofurantoin-induced lung disease. Mayo Clin Proc 2005; 80:1298.
- Holmberg L, Boman G. Pulmonary reactions to nitrofurantoin. 447 cases reported to the Swedish Adverse Drug Reaction Committee 1966-1976. Eur J Respir Dis 1981; 62:180.
- Sovijärvi AR, Lemola M, Stenius B, Idänpään-Heikkilä J. Nitrofurantoin-induced acute, subacute and chronic pulmonary reactions. Scand J Respir Dis 1977; 58:41.
- Santos JM, Batech M, Pelter MA, Deamer RL. Evaluation of the Risk of Nitrofurantoin Lung Injury and Its Efficacy in Diminished Kidney Function in Older Adults in a Large Integrated Healthcare System: A Matched Cohort Study. J Am Geriatr Soc 2016; 64:798.
- Bidad K, Harries-Jones R. Nitrofurantoin lung injury. Age Ageing 2004; 33:414.
- Camus P, Fanton A, Bonniaud P, et al. Interstitial lung disease induced by drugs and radiation. Respiration 2004; 71:301.
- Viejo MA, Fernández Montes A, Montes JV, et al. [Rapid resolution of nitrofurantoin-induced interstitial lung disease]. Arch Bronconeumol 2009; 45:352.
- Hage P, El Hajje MJ. Nitrofurantoin-induced desquamative interstitial pneumonitis in a 7-year-old child. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2011; 30:363.
- Lin DC, Bhally H. Nitrofurantoin-induced interstitial lung disease. N Z Med J 2007; 120:U2753.
- Wilkin T, Hale LS, Claiborne RA. Poor medication history plus slow symptom onset delays a diagnosis. JAAPA 2009; 22:39.
- Mrozek N, Delèvaux I, Legendre M, et al. [Nitrofurantoin-induced lung disease: about two cases]. Rev Med Interne 2008; 29:149.
- Robinson BW. Nitrofurantoin-induced interstitial pulmonary fibrosis. Presentation and outcome. Med J Aust 1983; 1:72.
- Hainer BL, White AA. Nitrofurantoin pulmonary toxicity. J Fam Pract 1981; 13:817.
- Cameron RJ, Kolbe J, Wilsher ML, Lambie N. Bronchiolitis obliterans organising pneumonia associated with the use of nitrofurantoin. Thorax 2000; 55:249.
- Martins RR, Marchiori E, Viana SL, et al. Chronic eosinophilic pneumonia secondary to long-term use of nitrofurantoin: high-resolution computed tomography findings. J Bras Pneumol 2008; 34:181.
- Lenci G, Müller-Quernheim J, Lorenz J, Ferlinz R. [Pulmonary toxicity caused by nitrofurantoin]. Pneumologie 1993; 47:518.
- Boyd MR, Catignani GL, Sasame HA, et al. Acute pulmonary injury in rats by nitrofurantoin and modification by vitamin E, dietary fat, and oxygen. Am Rev Respir Dis 1979; 120:93.
- Peall AF, Hodges A. Concomitant pulmonary and hepatic toxicity secondary to nitrofurantoin: a case report. J Med Case Rep 2007; 1:59.
- Koulaouzidis A, Bhat S, Moschos J, et al. Nitrofurantoin-induced lung- and hepatotoxicity. Ann Hepatol 2007; 6:119.
- Williams EM, Triller DM. Recurrent acute nitrofurantoin-induced pulmonary toxicity. Pharmacotherapy 2006; 26:713.
- Bhullar S, Lele SM, Kraman S. Severe nitrofurantoin lung disease resolving without the use of steroids. J Postgrad Med 2007; 53:111.
- Sheehan RE, Wells AU, Milne DG, Hansell DM. Nitrofurantoin-induced lung disease: two cases demonstrating resolution of apparently irreversible CT abnormalities. J Comput Assist Tomogr 2000; 24:259.
- Fux R, Mörike K, Gleiter CH. [Unwanted side effects of antibacterials--a diagnostic challenge]. Dtsch Med Wochenschr 2008; 133:F4.
- Goemaere NN, Grijm K, van Hal PT, den Bakker MA. Nitrofurantoin-induced pulmonary fibrosis: a case report. J Med Case Rep 2008; 2:169.