Multifocal motor neuropathy
- Dale Lange, MD
Dale Lange, MD
- Professor of Neurology
- Weill College of Medicine at Cornell University
- Jessica Robinson-Papp, MD
Jessica Robinson-Papp, MD
- Assistant Professor
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Multifocal motor neuropathy (MMN), also known as multifocal motor neuropathy with conduction block, is a rare neuropathy characterized by progressive asymmetric weakness and atrophy without sensory abnormalities, a presentation similar to that of motor neuron disease. This review will discuss the clinical aspects of MMN. Other immune-mediated neuropathies are discussed separately. (See "Immune-mediated neuropathies".)
MMN is considered an immune-mediated disorder given the following observations [1-3]:
●Clinical improvement with intravenous immune globulin therapy
●The presence of anti-GM1 antibodies in many but not all patients
●A perivascular lymphocytic infiltration observed on nerve biopsy in some reportsTo continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- So YT. Immune-mediated neuropathies. Continuum (Minneap Minn) 2012; 18:85.
- Lange DJ, Trojaborg W. Do GM1 antibodies induce demyelination? Muscle Nerve 1994; 17:105.
- Muley SA, Parry GJ. Multifocal motor neuropathy. J Clin Neurosci 2012; 19:1201.
- Nowacek DG, Teener JW. Multifocal motor neuropathy. Semin Neurol 2012; 32:500.
- Taylor BV, Dyck PJ, Engelstad J, et al. Multifocal motor neuropathy: pathologic alterations at the site of conduction block. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 2004; 63:129.
- Uncini A, Kuwabara S. Nodopathies of the peripheral nerve: an emerging concept. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2015; 86:1186.
- Cats EA, van der Pol WL, Piepers S, et al. Correlates of outcome and response to IVIg in 88 patients with multifocal motor neuropathy. Neurology 2010; 75:818.
- Pestronk A, Cornblath DR, Ilyas AA, et al. A treatable multifocal motor neuropathy with antibodies to GM1 ganglioside. Ann Neurol 1988; 24:73.
- Slee M, Selvan A, Donaghy M. Multifocal motor neuropathy: the diagnostic spectrum and response to treatment. Neurology 2007; 69:1680.
- Meuth SG, Kleinschnitz C. Multifocal motor neuropathy: update on clinical characteristics, pathophysiological concepts and therapeutic options. Eur Neurol 2010; 63:193.
- Kornberg AJ, Pestronk A. The clinical and diagnostic role of anti-GM1 antibody testing. Muscle Nerve 1994; 17:100.
- Pestronk A. Invited review: motor neuropathies, motor neuron disorders, and antiglycolipid antibodies. Muscle Nerve 1991; 14:927.
- Pakiam AS, Parry GJ. Multifocal motor neuropathy without overt conduction block. Muscle Nerve 1998; 21:243.
- Katz JS, Barohn RJ, Kojan S, et al. Axonal multifocal motor neuropathy without conduction block or other features of demyelination. Neurology 2002; 58:615.
- Delmont E, Azulay JP, Giorgi R, et al. Multifocal motor neuropathy with and without conduction block: a single entity? Neurology 2006; 67:592.
- Nobile-Orazio E, Cappellari A, Meucci N, et al. Multifocal motor neuropathy: clinical and immunological features and response to IVIg in relation to the presence and degree of motor conduction block. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2002; 72:761.
- Joint Task Force of the EFNS and the PNS. European Federation of Neurological Societies/Peripheral Nerve Society guideline on management of multifocal motor neuropathy. Report of a joint task force of the European Federation of Neurological Societies and the Peripheral Nerve Society--first revision. J Peripher Nerv Syst 2010; 15:295.
- Léger JM, Chassande B, Musset L, et al. Intravenous immunoglobulin therapy in multifocal motor neuropathy: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Brain 2001; 124:145.
- Van den Berg LH, Kerkhoff H, Oey PL, et al. Treatment of multifocal motor neuropathy with high dose intravenous immunoglobulins: a double blind, placebo controlled study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1995; 59:248.
- Federico P, Zochodne DW, Hahn AF, et al. Multifocal motor neuropathy improved by IVIg: randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Neurology 2000; 55:1256.
- Patwa HS, Chaudhry V, Katzberg H, et al. Evidence-based guideline: intravenous immunoglobulin in the treatment of neuromuscular disorders: report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 2012; 78:1009.
- Nobile-Orazio E, Gallia F. Multifocal motor neuropathy: current therapies and novel strategies. Drugs 2013; 73:397.
- Feldman EL, Bromberg MB, Albers JW, Pestronk A. Immunosuppressive treatment in multifocal motor neuropathy. Ann Neurol 1991; 30:397.
- Carpo M, Cappellari A, Mora G, et al. Deterioration of multifocal motor neuropathy after plasma exchange. Neurology 1998; 50:1480.
- van Schaik IN, van den Berg LH, de Haan R, Vermeulen M. Intravenous immunoglobulin for multifocal motor neuropathy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005; :CD004429.
- Azulay JP, Blin O, Pouget J, et al. Intravenous immunoglobulin treatment in patients with motor neuron syndromes associated with anti-GM1 antibodies: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Neurology 1994; 44:429.
- Racosta JM, Sposato LA, Kimpinski K. Subcutaneous versus intravenous immunoglobulin for chronic autoimmune neuropathies: A meta-analysis. Muscle Nerve 2017; 55:802.
- Umapathi T, Hughes RA, Nobile-Orazio E, Léger JM. Immunosuppressant and immunomodulatory treatments for multifocal motor neuropathy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; :CD003217.
- Brannagan TH 3rd, Alaedini A, Gladstone DE. High-dose cyclophosphamide without stem cell rescue for refractory multifocal motor neuropathy. Muscle Nerve 2006; 34:246.
- Rüegg SJ, Fuhr P, Steck AJ. Rituximab stabilizes multifocal motor neuropathy increasingly less responsive to IVIg. Neurology 2004; 63:2178.
- Stieglbauer K, Topakian R, Hinterberger G, Aichner FT. Beneficial effect of rituximab monotherapy in multifocal motor neuropathy. Neuromuscul Disord 2009; 19:473.
- Chaudhry V, Cornblath DR. An open-label trial of rituximab (Rituxan®) in multifocal motor neuropathy. J Peripher Nerv Syst 2010; 15:196.
- Lange DJ, Weimer LH, Trojaborg W, et al. Multifocal motor neuropathy with conduction block: slow but not benign. Arch Neurol 2006; 63:1778.