Mastitis and breast abscess in children and adolescents
- Chantay Banikarim, MD, MPH
Chantay Banikarim, MD, MPH
- Director of Adolescent Medicine
- St. Joseph's Hospital & Medical Center, Phoenix
- Nirupama K De Silva, MD
Nirupama K De Silva, MD
- Clinical Associate Professor
- University of Oklahoma-Tulsa
- Section Editors
- Sheldon L Kaplan, MD
Sheldon L Kaplan, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Pediatrics
- Section Editor — Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Professor and Vice Chairman for Clinical Affairs
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Jan E Drutz, MD
Jan E Drutz, MD
- Section Editor — General Pediatrics
- Professor of Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Amy B Middleman, MD, MPH, MS Ed
Amy B Middleman, MD, MPH, MS Ed
- Section Editor — Adolescent Medicine
- Professor of Pediatrics, Chief of Adolescent Medicine
- University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
The clinical features, evaluation, and management of mastitis and breast abscess in children older than two months and adolescents will be discussed in this topic review. Mastitis and breast abscess in infants, lactational mastitis, and breast infections in adult women are discussed separately.
●(See "Lactational mastitis".)
●(See "Primary breast abscess".)
- Faden H. Mastitis in children from birth to 17 years. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2005; 24:1113.
- Greydanus DE, Matytsina L, Gains M. Breast disorders in children and adolescents. Prim Care 2006; 33:455.
- Baren JM. Breast lesions. In: Textbook of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, 5th ed, Fleisher GR, Ludwig S, Henretig FM (Eds), Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia 2006. p.193.
- Warren R, Degnim AC. Uncommon benign breast abnormalities in adolescents. Semin Plast Surg 2013; 27:26.
- Michala L, Tsigginou A, Zacharakis D, Dimitrakakis C. Breast disorders in girls and adolescents. Is there a need for a specialized service? J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2015; 28:91.
- Stricker T, Navratil F, Forster I, et al. Nonpuerperal mastitis in adolescents. J Pediatr 2006; 148:278.
- Templeman C, Hertweck SP. Breast disorders in the pediatric and adolescent patient. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 2000; 27:19.
- DiVasta AD, Weldon C, Labow BI. The breast: Examination and lesions. In: Emans, Laufer, Goldstein's Pediatric & Adolescent Gynecology, 6th ed, Emans SJ, Laufer MR (Eds), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia 2012. p.405.
- Perl B, Gottehrer NP, Raveh D, et al. Cost-effectiveness of blood cultures for adult patients with cellulitis. Clin Infect Dis 1999; 29:1483.
- Valeur NS, Rahbar H, Chapman T. Ultrasound of pediatric breast masses: what to do with lumps and bumps. Pediatr Radiol 2015; 45:1584.
- Williams HJ, Hejmadi RK, England DW, Bradley SA. Imaging features of breast trauma: a pictorial review. Breast 2002; 11:107.
- Schwartz GF. Benign neoplasms and "inflammations" of the breast. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1982; 25:373.
- Ekmez F, Pirgon O, Bilgin H, Aydemir G. Cystic hygroma of the breast in a 5 year old boy presenting as a gynecomastia. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 2012; 16 Suppl 4:55.
- Kangesu T. Cystic hygroma of the breast in childhood. Br J Clin Pract 1990; 44:787.
- McHoney M, Munro F, Mackinlay G. Mammary duct ectasia in children: report of a short series and review of the literature. Early Hum Dev 2011; 87:527.
- Stevens DL, Bisno AL, Chambers HF, et al. Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of skin and soft tissue infections: 2014 update by the infectious diseases society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2014; 59:147.
- Schwarz RJ, Shrestha R. Needle aspiration of breast abscesses. Am J Surg 2001; 182:117.
- CLINICAL FEATURES AND DIAGNOSIS
- DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS
- Supportive care
- Antimicrobial therapy
- - Choice of regimen
- - Duration of therapy
- Drainage of breast abscess
- RESPONSE TO THERAPY
- Monitoring response
- Failure to respond
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS