Management of infection in exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- John G Bartlett, MD
John G Bartlett, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Infectious Diseases
- Section Editor — HIV; Pulmonary Infections
- Professor Emeritus
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Sanjay Sethi, MD
Sanjay Sethi, MD
- Professor of Medicine, Division Chief, Pulmonary/Critical Care/Sleep Medicine
- University at Buffalo, State University of New York
- Section Editor
- Daniel J Sexton, MD
Daniel J Sexton, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Infectious Diseases
- Section Editor — Bacterial Infections
- Professor of Medicine
- Duke University Medical Center
- Deputy Editors
- Sheila Bond, MD
Sheila Bond, MD
- Deputy Editor — Infectious Diseases
- Clinical Instructor in Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Helen Hollingsworth, MD
Helen Hollingsworth, MD
- Deputy Editor — Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Boston University School of Medicine
The Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease, a report produced by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and the World Health Organization, defines an exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) as an acute increase in symptoms beyond normal day-to-day variation . This generally includes one or more of the following cardinal symptoms:
●Cough increases in frequency and severity
●Sputum production increases in volume and/or changes character
Qualitative research has highlighted the prevalence of chest tightness and discomfort, sleep disturbance, anxiety, and fatigue during exacerbations .
- Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management and Prevention of COPD, Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) 2016. http://www.goldcopd.org (Accessed on March 17, 2016).
- Leidy NK, Wilcox TK, Jones PW, et al. Development of the EXAcerbations of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Tool (EXACT): a patient-reported outcome (PRO) measure. Value Health 2010; 13:965.
- Petty TL. Definitions in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Clin Chest Med 1990; 11:363.
- American Thoracic Society / European Respiratory Society Task Force. Standards for the Diagnosis and Management of Patients with COPD [Internet]. Version 1.2 http://www.thoracic.org/go/copd (Accessed on October 20, 2011).
- Anthonisen NR, Manfreda J, Warren CP, et al. Antibiotic therapy in exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Ann Intern Med 1987; 106:196.
- Balter MS, La Forge J, Low DE, et al. Canadian guidelines for the management of acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis. Can Respir J 2003; 10 Suppl B:3B.
- Miravitlles M, Murio C, Guerrero T. Factors associated with relapse after ambulatory treatment of acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis. DAFNE Study Group. Eur Respir J 2001; 17:928.
- Wilson R, Jones P, Schaberg T, et al. Antibiotic treatment and factors influencing short and long term outcomes of acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis. Thorax 2006; 61:337.
- Sethi S, Murphy TF. Infection in the pathogenesis and course of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med 2008; 359:2355.
- Sethi S, Murphy TF. Acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis: new developments concerning microbiology and pathophysiology--impact on approaches to risk stratification and therapy. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2004; 18:861.
- Stoller JK. Clinical practice. Acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med 2002; 346:988.
- Boixeda R, Almagro P, Díez-Manglano J, et al. Bacterial flora in the sputum and comorbidity in patients with acute exacerbations of COPD. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2015; 10:2581.
- Garcia-Vidal C, Almagro P, Romaní V, et al. Pseudomonas aeruginosa in patients hospitalised for COPD exacerbation: a prospective study. Eur Respir J 2009; 34:1072.
- Parameswaran GI, Sethi S. Pseudomonas infection in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Future Microbiol 2012; 7:1129.
- Gallego M, Pomares X, Espasa M, et al. Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates in severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: characterization and risk factors. BMC Pulm Med 2014; 14:103.
- Snow V, Lascher S, Mottur-Pilson C, Joint Expert Panel on Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease of the American College of Chest Physicians and the American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine. Evidence base for management of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Ann Intern Med 2001; 134:595.
- Falagas ME, Avgeri SG, Matthaiou DK, et al. Short- versus long-duration antimicrobial treatment for exacerbations of chronic bronchitis: a meta-analysis. J Antimicrob Chemother 2008; 62:442.
- Nouira S, Marghli S, Belghith M, et al. Once daily oral ofloxacin in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbation requiring mechanical ventilation: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2001; 358:2020.
- Roede BM, Bresser P, Prins JM, et al. Reduced risk of next exacerbation and mortality associated with antibiotic use in COPD. Eur Respir J 2009; 33:282.
- Rothberg MB, Pekow PS, Lahti M, et al. Antibiotic therapy and treatment failure in patients hospitalized for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. JAMA 2010; 303:2035.
- Daniels JM, Snijders D, de Graaff CS, et al. Antibiotics in addition to systemic corticosteroids for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2010; 181:150.
- Stefan MS, Rothberg MB, Shieh MS, et al. Association between antibiotic treatment and outcomes in patients hospitalized with acute exacerbation of COPD treated with systemic steroids. Chest 2013; 143:82.
- Vollenweider DJ, Jarrett H, Steurer-Stey CA, et al. Antibiotics for exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 12:CD010257.
- Soler N, Esperatti M, Ewig S, et al. Sputum purulence-guided antibiotic use in hospitalised patients with exacerbations of COPD. Eur Respir J 2012; 40:1344.
- Sethi S. Personalised medicine in exacerbations of COPD: the beginnings. Eur Respir J 2012; 40:1318.
- Llor C, Moragas A, Hernández S, et al. Efficacy of antibiotic therapy for acute exacerbations of mild to moderate chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2012; 186:716.
- Wilson R, Anzueto A, Miravitlles M, et al. Moxifloxacin versus amoxicillin/clavulanic acid in outpatient acute exacerbations of COPD: MAESTRAL results. Eur Respir J 2012; 40:17.
- Dimopoulos G, Siempos II, Korbila IP, et al. Comparison of first-line with second-line antibiotics for acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis: a metaanalysis of randomized controlled trials. Chest 2007; 132:447.
- Siempos II, Dimopoulos G, Korbila IP, et al. Macrolides, quinolones and amoxicillin/clavulanate for chronic bronchitis: a meta-analysis. Eur Respir J 2007; 29:1127.
- Nouira S, Marghli S, Besbes L, et al. Standard versus newer antibacterial agents in the treatment of severe acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized trial of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole versus ciprofloxacin. Clin Infect Dis 2010; 51:143.
- Poole PJ, Chacko E, Wood-Baker RW, Cates CJ. Influenza vaccine for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; :CD002733.
- Walters JA, Tang JN, Poole P, Wood-Baker R. Pneumococcal vaccines for preventing pneumonia in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017; 1:CD001390.
- Johnston RN, McNeill RS, Smith DH, et al. Five-year winter chemoprophylaxis for chronic bronchitis. Br Med J 1969; 4:265.
- PRIDIE RB, DATTA N, MASSEY DG, et al. A trial of continuous winter chemotherapy in chronic bronchitis. Lancet 1960; 2:723.
- Value of chemoprophylaxis and chemotherapy in early chronic bronchitis. A report to the Medical Research Council by their working party on trials of chemotherapy in early chronic bronchitis. Br Med J 1966; 1:1317.
- Albert RK, Connett J, Bailey WC, et al. Azithromycin for prevention of exacerbations of COPD. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:689.
- Uzun S, Djamin RS, Kluytmans JA, et al. Azithromycin maintenance treatment in patients with frequent exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COLUMBUS): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Respir Med 2014; 2:361.
- Blasi F, Bonardi D, Aliberti S, et al. Long-term azithromycin use in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and tracheostomy. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2010; 23:200.
- Pomares X, Montón C, Espasa M, et al. Long-term azithromycin therapy in patients with severe COPD and repeated exacerbations. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2011; 6:449.
- Berkhof FF, Doornewaard-ten Hertog NE, Uil SM, et al. Azithromycin and cough-specific health status in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and chronic cough: a randomised controlled trial. Respir Res 2013; 14:125.
- Herath SC, Poole P. Prophylactic antibiotic therapy for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013; :CD009764.
- Herath SC, Poole P. Prophylactic antibiotic therapy in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. JAMA 2014; 311:2225.
- Sethi S, Jones PW, Theron MS, et al. Pulsed moxifloxacin for the prevention of exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized controlled trial. Respir Res 2010; 11:10.