Long-term management of patients with anaphylaxis
- John M Kelso, MD
John M Kelso, MD
- Section Editor – Anaphylaxis
- Division of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology
- Scripps Clinic, San Diego, CA
The medical management of anaphylaxis has traditionally focused on recognition and treatment of the acute event. Equally important, however, is the long-term care of a patient who has experienced anaphylaxis and the implementation of measures to prevent and treat recurrences in community settings [1,2].
Long-term risk reduction includes the following elements :
●Ongoing education about recognition and prompt treatment of future anaphylactic episodes.
●Optimal management of relevant comorbidities (eg, asthma or cardiovascular disease) and assessment or reassessment of the benefits and risks of concurrent medications (eg, beta-blockers or angiotensin-converting enzyme [ACE] inhibitors).
●Strict avoidance of specific relevant allergens.To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Simons FE. Anaphylaxis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:S161.
- Simons FE. Anaphylaxis, killer allergy: long-term management in the community. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006; 117:367.
- Lieberman P, Nicklas RA, Randolph C, et al. Anaphylaxis--a practice parameter update 2015. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2015; 115:341.
- Soar J, Pumphrey R, Cant A, et al. Emergency treatment of anaphylactic reactions--guidelines for healthcare providers. Resuscitation 2008; 77:157.
- Brown SG, Mullins RJ, Gold MS. Anaphylaxis: diagnosis and management. Med J Aust 2006; 185:283.
- Simons FE, Ardusso LR, Bilò MB, et al. World Allergy Organization anaphylaxis guidelines: summary. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127:587.
- Simons KJ, Simons FE. Epinephrine and its use in anaphylaxis: current issues. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 10:354.
- Sheikh A, Ten Broek V, Brown SG, Simons FE. H1-antihistamines for the treatment of anaphylaxis: Cochrane systematic review. Allergy 2007; 62:830.
- Simons FE, Sampson HA. Anaphylaxis epidemic: fact or fiction? J Allergy Clin Immunol 2008; 122:1166.
- Gaeta TJ, Clark S, Pelletier AJ, Camargo CA. National study of US emergency department visits for acute allergic reactions, 1993 to 2004. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2007; 98:360.
- Jacobsen RC, Toy S, Bonham AJ, et al. Anaphylaxis knowledge among paramedics: results of a national survey. Prehosp Emerg Care 2012; 16:527.
- Sampson HA, Muñoz-Furlong A, Campbell RL, et al. Second symposium on the definition and management of anaphylaxis: summary report--Second National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease/Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network symposium. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006; 117:391.
- Pumphrey RS. Lessons for management of anaphylaxis from a study of fatal reactions. Clin Exp Allergy 2000; 30:1144.
- Manivannan V, Campbell RL, Bellolio MF, et al. Factors associated with repeated use of epinephrine for the treatment of anaphylaxis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2009; 103:395.
- Ben-Shoshan M, Kagan R, Primeau MN, et al. Availability of the epinephrine autoinjector at school in children with peanut allergy. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2008; 100:570.
- Simons FE, World Allergy Organization. Epinephrine auto-injectors: first-aid treatment still out of reach for many at risk of anaphylaxis in the community. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2009; 102:403.
- Simons FE, Edwards ES, Read EJ Jr, et al. Voluntarily reported unintentional injections from epinephrine auto-injectors. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:419.
- Cantrell FL, Cantrell P, Wen A, Gerona R. Epinephrine Concentrations in EpiPens After the Expiration Date. Ann Intern Med 2017; 166:918.
- Simons FE, Clark S, Camargo CA Jr. Anaphylaxis in the community: learning from the survivors. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:301.
- Noimark L, Wales J, Du Toit G, et al. The use of adrenaline autoinjectors by children and teenagers. Clin Exp Allergy 2012; 42:284.
- Hernandez-Trujillo V, Simons FER. Prospective evaluation of an anaphylaxis education mini-handout: the AAAAI anaphylaxis wallet card. J Allergy Clin Immunol: In Practice 2013; 1:181.
- González-Pérez A, Aponte Z, Vidaurre CF, Rodríguez LA. Anaphylaxis epidemiology in patients with and patients without asthma: a United Kingdom database review. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:1098.
- Greenberger PA, Rotskoff BD, Lifschultz B. Fatal anaphylaxis: postmortem findings and associated comorbid diseases. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2007; 98:252.
- Triggiani M, Patella V, Staiano RI, et al. Allergy and the cardiovascular system. Clin Exp Immunol 2008; 153 Suppl 1:7.
- Lee S, Hess EP, Nestler DM, et al. Antihypertensive medication use is associated with increased organ system involvement and hospitalization in emergency department patients with anaphylaxis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2013; 131:1103.
- Ruëff F, Przybilla B, Biló MB, et al. Predictors of severe systemic anaphylactic reactions in patients with Hymenoptera venom allergy: importance of baseline serum tryptase-a study of the European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology Interest Group on Insect Venom Hypersensitivity. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:1047.
- Caviglia AG, Passalacqua G, Senna G. Risk of severe anaphylaxis for patients with Hymenoptera venom allergy: Are angiotensin-receptor blockers comparable to angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors? J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:1171; author reply 1171.
- Sicherer SH, Sampson HA. Food allergy: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014; 133:291.
- NIAID-Sponsored Expert Panel, Boyce JA, Assa'ad A, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of food allergy in the United States: report of the NIAID-sponsored expert panel. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 126:S1.
- Boyano-Martínez T, García-Ara C, Pedrosa M, et al. Accidental allergic reactions in children allergic to cow's milk proteins. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 123:883.
- Pieretti MM, Chung D, Pacenza R, et al. Audit of manufactured products: use of allergen advisory labels and identification of labeling ambiguities. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:337.
- Crotty MP, Taylor SL. Risks associated with foods having advisory milk labeling. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:935.
- Lebovidge JS, Strauch H, Kalish LA, Schneider LC. Assessment of psychological distress among children and adolescents with food allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:1282.
- King RM, Knibb RC, Hourihane JO. Impact of peanut allergy on quality of life, stress and anxiety in the family. Allergy 2009; 64:461.
- Greenhawt MJ, Singer AM, Baptist AP. Food allergy and food allergy attitudes among college students. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124:323.
- Golden DB, Demain J, Freeman T, et al. Stinging insect hypersensitivity: A practice parameter update 2016. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2017; 118:28.
- Khan DA, Solensky R. Drug allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125:S126.
- Hong DI, Dioun AF. Indications, protocols, and outcomes of drug desensitizations for chemotherapy and monoclonal antibodies in adults and children. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2014; 2:13.
- Castells MC, Tennant NM, Sloane DE, et al. Hypersensitivity reactions to chemotherapy: outcomes and safety of rapid desensitization in 413 cases. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2008; 122:574.
- Kelso JM, Greenhawt MJ, Li JT, et al. Adverse reactions to vaccines practice parameter 2012 update. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012; 130:25.
- Du Toit G. Food-dependent exercise-induced anaphylaxis in childhood. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2007; 18:455.
- Wood RA. Food allergen immunotherapy: Current status and prospects for the future. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2016; 137:973.
- Sublett JW, Bernstein JA. Seminal plasma hypersensitivity reactions: an updated review. Mt Sinai J Med 2011; 78:803.
- Gernez Y, Nowak-Węgrzyn A. Immunotherapy for Food Allergy: Are We There Yet? J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2017; 5:250.
- Allergenic Products Advisory Committee. FDA Briefing Document. Clinical development of allergen immunotherapies for the treatment of food allergy. January 21, 2016. https://www.fda.gov/downloads/advisorycommittees/committeesmeetingmaterials/bloodvaccinesandotherbiologics/allergenicproductsadvisorycommittee/ucm482114.pdf (Accessed on November 28, 2017).
- Theoharides TC, Valent P, Akin C. Mast Cells, Mastocytosis, and Related Disorders. N Engl J Med 2015; 373:163.
- Akin C. Mast cell activation syndromes. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2017; 140:349.
- Savage J, Sicherer S, Wood R. The Natural History of Food Allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2016; 4:196.
- Penicillin Allergy in Antibiotic Resistance Workgroup. Penicillin Allergy Testing Should Be Performed Routinely in Patients with Self-Reported Penicillin Allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2017; 5:333.
- ONGOING EDUCATION FOR PATIENTS
- Important teaching points
- PREPARING THE PATIENT TO TREAT POSSIBLE RECURRENCES
- Self-injectable epinephrine
- Anaphylaxis emergency action plan
- Medical identification
- MANAGEMENT OF COMORBIDITIES
- Medications for other disorders
- EFFECTIVE AVOIDANCE OF SPECIFIC RELEVANT ALLERGENS AND COFACTORS
- INTERVENTIONS TO REDUCE SENSITIVITY TO SPECIFIC ALLERGENS
- FUTURE LABORATORY TESTS TO PREDICT RISK OF ANAPHYLAXIS
- Internet resources
- SOCIETY GUIDELINE LINKS
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS