- Keith Choate, MD, PhD
Keith Choate, MD, PhD
- Associate Professor of Dermatology, Genetics, and Pathology
- Yale University School of Medicine
The keratinopathic ichthyoses (KPI) are a group of rare cornification disorders caused by mutations in one of the keratin genes, resulting in abnormalities of the keratin intermediate filaments, a component of the keratinocyte cell cytoskeleton. KPI encompass a spectrum of clinical phenotypes of varying severity. Disorders in the KPI group include epidermolytic ichthyosis, superficial epidermolytic ichthyosis, annular epidermolytic ichthyosis, ichthyosis Curth-Macklin, and ichthyosis with confetti .
This topic will review the pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and management of KPI. A general overview of the ichthyoses is presented separately. Recessive X-linked ichthyosis, Netherton syndrome, Sjögren-Larsson syndrome, and peeling skin syndrome are also discussed separately.
●(See "Recessive X-linked ichthyosis".)
●(See "Netherton syndrome".)
- Oji V, Tadini G, Akiyama M, et al. Revised nomenclature and classification of inherited ichthyoses: results of the First Ichthyosis Consensus Conference in Sorèze 2009. J Am Acad Dermatol 2010; 63:607.
- Dreyfus I, Chouquet C, Ezzedine K, et al. Prevalence of inherited ichthyosis in France: a study using capture-recapture method. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2014; 9:1.
- Tsubota A, Akiyama M, Sakai K, et al. Keratin 1 gene mutation detected in epidermal nevus with epidermolytic hyperkeratosis. J Invest Dermatol 2007; 127:1371.
- Reddy BS, Thadeus J, Kumar SK, et al. Generalized epidermolytic hyperkeratosis in a child born to a parent with systematized epidermolytic linear epidermal nevus. Int J Dermatol 1997; 36:198.
- Akhyani M, Kiavash K, Kamyab K. Bullous ichthyosiform erythroderma in a child born to a parent with systematized linear epidermolytic hyperkeratosis. Int J Dermatol 2009; 48:215.
- Chassaing N, Kanitakis J, Sportich S, et al. Generalized epidermolytic hyperkeratosis in two unrelated children from parents with localized linear form, and prenatal diagnosis. J Invest Dermatol 2006; 126:2715.
- Kono M, Suga Y, Akashi T, et al. A Child with Epidermolytic Ichthyosis from a Parent with Epidermolytic Nevus: Risk Evaluation of Transmission from Mosaic to Germline. J Invest Dermatol 2017; 137:2024.
- Haines RL, Lane EB. Keratins and disease at a glance. J Cell Sci 2012; 125:3923.
- Zhou XM, Idler WW, Steven AC, et al. The complete sequence of the human intermediate filament chain keratin 10. Subdomainal divisions and model for folding of end domain sequences. J Biol Chem 1988; 263:15584.
- Cervantes T, Pham C, Browning JC. Superficial epidermolytic ichthyosis: a report of two families. Pediatr Dermatol 2013; 30:469.
- Steinert PM. Analysis of the mechanism of assembly of mouse keratin 1/keratin 10 intermediate filaments in vitro suggests that intermediate filaments are built from multiple oligomeric units rather than a unique tetrameric building block. J Struct Biol 1991; 107:175.
- Steinert PM, Mack JW, Korge BP, et al. Glycine loops in proteins: their occurrence in certain intermediate filament chains, loricrins and single-stranded RNA binding proteins. Int J Biol Macromol 1991; 13:130.
- Santos M, Paramio JM, Bravo A, et al. The expression of keratin k10 in the basal layer of the epidermis inhibits cell proliferation and prevents skin tumorigenesis. J Biol Chem 2002; 277:19122.
- DiGiovanna JJ, Bale SJ. Clinical heterogeneity in epidermolytic hyperkeratosis. Arch Dermatol 1994; 130:1026.
- Moll R, Divo M, Langbein L. The human keratins: biology and pathology. Histochem Cell Biol 2008; 129:705.
- Kubo Y, Urano Y, Matsuda R, et al. Ichthyosis hystrix, Curth-Macklin type: a new sporadic case with a novel mutation of keratin 1. Arch Dermatol 2011; 147:999.
- Nayak S, Acharjya B, Mohanty P. Ichthyosis hystrix. Indian Dermatol Online J 2013; 4:47.
- Wang WH, Zhang L, Li LF, Sun TT. Ichthyosis hystrix Lambert type and Curth-Macklin type are a single entity with affected (KRT1 mutation) or unaffected (KRT10 mutation) palms and soles? Eur J Dermatol 2016; 26:493.
- Choate KA, Lu Y, Zhou J, et al. Frequent somatic reversion of KRT1 mutations in ichthyosis with confetti. J Clin Invest 2015; 125:1703.
- Choate KA, Lu Y, Zhou J, et al. Mitotic recombination in patients with ichthyosis causes reversion of dominant mutations in KRT10. Science 2010; 330:94.
- Choate KA, Lu Y, Zhou J, et al. Ichthyosis with confetti shows widespread somatic reversion via mitotic recombination at two distinct loci. J Invest Dermatol 2011; 131:S64.
- Choate KA, Milstone LM. Phenotypic expansion in ichthyosis with confetti. JAMA Dermatol 2015; 151:15.
- Lim YH, Qiu J, Saraceni C, et al. Genetic Reversion via Mitotic Recombination in Ichthyosis with Confetti due to a KRT10 Polyalanine Frameshift Mutation. J Invest Dermatol 2016; 136:1725.
- Sahn EE, Weimer CE Jr, Garen PD. Annular epidermolytic ichthyosis: a unique phenotype. J Am Acad Dermatol 1992; 27:348.
- Joh GY, Traupe H, Metze D, et al. A novel dinucleotide mutation in keratin 10 in the annular epidermolytic ichthyosis variant of bullous congenital ichthyosiform erythroderma. J Invest Dermatol 1997; 108:357.
- Sybert VP, Francis JS, Corden LD, et al. Cyclic ichthyosis with epidermolytic hyperkeratosis: A phenotype conferred by mutations in the 2B domain of keratin K1. Am J Hum Genet 1999; 64:732.
- Ross R, DiGiovanna JJ, Capaldi L, et al. Histopathologic characterization of epidermolytic hyperkeratosis: a systematic review of histology from the National Registry for Ichthyosis and Related Skin Disorders. J Am Acad Dermatol 2008; 59:86.
- Mirza H, Kumar A, Craiglow BG, et al. Mutations Affecting Keratin 10 Surface-Exposed Residues Highlight the Structural Basis of Phenotypic Variation in Epidermolytic Ichthyosis. J Invest Dermatol 2015; 135:3041.
- Hirano SA, Harvey VM. From progressive symmetric erythrokeratoderma to erythrokeratoderma variabilis progressiva. J Am Acad Dermatol 2011; 64:e81.
- Boyden LM, Craiglow BG, Zhou J, et al. Dominant De Novo Mutations in GJA1 Cause Erythrokeratodermia Variabilis et Progressiva, without Features of Oculodentodigital Dysplasia. J Invest Dermatol 2015; 135:1540.
- Richard G, Smith LE, Bailey RA, et al. Mutations in the human connexin gene GJB3 cause erythrokeratodermia variabilis. Nat Genet 1998; 20:366.
- Macari F, Landau M, Cousin P, et al. Mutation in the gene for connexin 30.3 in a family with erythrokeratodermia variabilis. Am J Hum Genet 2000; 67:1296.
- Boyden LM, Kam CY, Hernández-Martín A, et al. Dominant de novo DSP mutations cause erythrokeratodermia-cardiomyopathy syndrome. Hum Mol Genet 2016; 25:348.
- Avril M, Riley C. Management of Epidermolytic Ichthyosis in the Newborn. Neonatal Netw 2016; 35:19.
- CLINICAL PHENOTYPES
- Epidermolytic ichthyosis
- Minor variants
- - Superficial epidermolytic ichthyosis
- - Ichthyosis hystrix Curth-Macklin and ichthyosis Lambert type
- - Ichthyosis with confetti
- - Annular epidermolytic ichthyosis
- DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS
- General measures
- Topical and systemic retinoids
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS