Initial treatment of peripheral T cell lymphoma
- Eric Jacobsen, MD
Eric Jacobsen, MD
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Arnold S Freedman, MD
Arnold S Freedman, MD
- Section Editor — Lymphoproliferative Disorders
- Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
The peripheral T cell lymphomas (PTCL) are a heterogeneous group of generally aggressive neoplasms that constitute less than 15 percent of all non-Hodgkin lymphomas (NHLs) in adults. Among these, in decreasing frequency of occurrence, are:
●Peripheral T cell lymphoma, not otherwise specified (PTCL, NOS)
●Anaplastic large cell lymphoma, primary systemic type (ALCL)
●Angioimmunoblastic T cell lymphoma (AITL)
●Extranodal NK/T cell lymphoma, nasal typeTo continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Cheson BD, Pfistner B, Juweid ME, et al. Revised response criteria for malignant lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25:579.
- Sonnen R, Schmidt WP, Müller-Hermelink HK, Schmitz N. The International Prognostic Index determines the outcome of patients with nodal mature T-cell lymphomas. Br J Haematol 2005; 129:366.
- Schmitz N, Trümper L, Ziepert M, et al. Treatment and prognosis of mature T-cell and NK-cell lymphoma: an analysis of patients with T-cell lymphoma treated in studies of the German High-Grade Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Study Group. Blood 2010; 116:3418.
- Feugier P, Van Hoof A, Sebban C, et al. Long-term results of the R-CHOP study in the treatment of elderly patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: a study by the Groupe d'Etude des Lymphomes de l'Adulte. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23:4117.
- Vose J, Armitage J, Weisenburger D, International T-Cell Lymphoma Project. International peripheral T-cell and natural killer/T-cell lymphoma study: pathology findings and clinical outcomes. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26:4124.
- Corradini P, Marchetti M, Barosi G, et al. SIE-SIES-GITMO guidelines for the management of adult peripheral T- and NK-cell lymphomas, excluding mature T-cell leukaemias. Ann Oncol 2014; 25:2339.
- http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/nhl.pdf (Accessed on December 23, 2014).
- Dreyling M, Thieblemont C, Gallamini A, et al. ESMO Consensus conferences: guidelines on malignant lymphoma. part 2: marginal zone lymphoma, mantle cell lymphoma, peripheral T-cell lymphoma. Ann Oncol 2013; 24:857.
- Dearden CE, Johnson R, Pettengell R, et al. Guidelines for the management of mature T-cell and NK-cell neoplasms (excluding cutaneous T-cell lymphoma). Br J Haematol 2011; 153:451.
- Simon A, Peoch M, Casassus P, et al. Upfront VIP-reinforced-ABVD (VIP-rABVD) is not superior to CHOP/21 in newly diagnosed peripheral T cell lymphoma. Results of the randomized phase III trial GOELAMS-LTP95. Br J Haematol 2010; 151:159.
- Escalón MP, Liu NS, Yang Y, et al. Prognostic factors and treatment of patients with T-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma: the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center experience. Cancer 2005; 103:2091.
- Ellin F, Landström J, Jerkeman M, Relander T. Real-world data on prognostic factors and treatment in peripheral T-cell lymphomas: a study from the Swedish Lymphoma Registry. Blood 2014; 124:1570.
- Rodríguez J, Caballero MD, Gutiérrez A, et al. High-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplantation in peripheral T-cell lymphoma: the GEL-TAMO experience. Ann Oncol 2003; 14:1768.
- Numata A, Miyamoto T, Ohno Y, et al. Long-term outcomes of autologous PBSCT for peripheral T-cell lymphoma: retrospective analysis of the experience of the Fukuoka BMT group. Bone Marrow Transplant 2010; 45:311.
- Hosing C, Champlin RE. Stem-cell transplantation in T-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. Ann Oncol 2011; 22:1471.
- Smith SM, Burns LJ, van Besien K, et al. Hematopoietic cell transplantation for systemic mature T-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2013; 31:3100.
- d'Amore F, Relander T, Lauritzsen GF, et al. Up-front autologous stem-cell transplantation in peripheral T-cell lymphoma: NLG-T-01. J Clin Oncol 2012; 30:3093.
- Reimer P, Rüdiger T, Geissinger E, et al. Autologous stem-cell transplantation as first-line therapy in peripheral T-cell lymphomas: results of a prospective multicenter study. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27:106.
- Reimer P, Schertlin T, Rüdiger T, et al. Myeloablative radiochemotherapy followed by autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation as first-line therapy in peripheral T-cell lymphomas: first results of a prospective multicenter study. Hematol J 2004; 5:304.
- Reimer P, Ruediger T, Schertlin T, et al. Autologous stem cell transplantation as first line therapy in peripheral T cell lymphomas. Update of a prospective multicenter study [abstract]. Blood 2004; 104.
- Rodríguez J, Conde E, Gutiérrez A, et al. Frontline autologous stem cell transplantation in high-risk peripheral T-cell lymphoma: a prospective study from The Gel-Tamo Study Group. Eur J Haematol 2007; 79:32.
- Corradini P, Tarella C, Zallio F, et al. Long-term follow-up of patients with peripheral T-cell lymphomas treated up-front with high-dose chemotherapy followed by autologous stem cell transplantation. Leukemia 2006; 20:1533.
- Mercadal S, Briones J, Xicoy B, et al. Intensive chemotherapy (high-dose CHOP/ESHAP regimen) followed by autologous stem-cell transplantation in previously untreated patients with peripheral T-cell lymphoma. Ann Oncol 2008; 19:958.
- Rodríguez J, Conde E, Gutiérrez A, et al. Prolonged survival of patients with angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma after high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplantation: the GELTAMO experience. Eur J Haematol 2007; 78:290.
- Schetelig J, Fetscher S, Reichle A, et al. Long-term disease-free survival in patients with angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma after high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplantation. Haematologica 2003; 88:1272.
- Loirat M, Chevallier P, Leux C, et al. Upfront allogeneic stem-cell transplantation for patients with nonlocalized untreated peripheral T-cell lymphoma: an intention-to-treat analysis from a single center. Ann Oncol 2015; 26:386.
- Lee HK, Wilder RB, Jones D, et al. Outcomes using doxorubicin-based chemotherapy with or without radiotherapy for early-stage peripheral T-cell lymphomas. Leuk Lymphoma 2002; 43:1769.
- Huang MJ, Jiang Y, Liu WP, et al. Early or up-front radiotherapy improved survival of localized extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal-type in the upper aerodigestive tract. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008; 70:166.
- Sakata K, Fuwa N, Kodaira T, et al. Analyses of dose-response in radiotherapy for patients with mature T/NK-cell lymphomas according to the WHO classification. Radiother Oncol 2006; 79:179.
- Zhang XM, Li YX, Wang WH, et al. Survival advantage with the addition of radiation therapy to chemotherapy in early stage peripheral T-cell lymphoma, not otherwise specified. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2013; 85:1051.
- Siegert W, Agthe A, Griesser H, et al. Treatment of angioimmunoblastic lymphadenopathy (AILD)-type T-cell lymphoma using prednisone with or without the COPBLAM/IMVP-16 regimen. A multicenter study. Kiel Lymphoma Study Group. Ann Intern Med 1992; 117:364.
- Kyriakou C, Canals C, Goldstone A, et al. High-dose therapy and autologous stem-cell transplantation in angioimmunoblastic lymphoma: complete remission at transplantation is the major determinant of Outcome-Lymphoma Working Party of the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26:218.
- Kyriakou C, Canals C, Finke J, et al. Allogeneic stem cell transplantation is able to induce long-term remissions in angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma: a retrospective study from the lymphoma working party of the European group for blood and marrow transplantation. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27:3951.
- Delfau-Larue MH, de Leval L, Joly B, et al. Targeting intratumoral B cells with rituximab in addition to CHOP in angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma. A clinicobiological study of the GELA. Haematologica 2012; 97:1594.
- Falchook GS, Vega F, Dang NH, et al. Hepatosplenic gamma-delta T-cell lymphoma: clinicopathological features and treatment. Ann Oncol 2009; 20:1080.
- Gumbs AA, Zain J, Neylon E, et al. Importance of early splenectomy in patients with hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma and severe thrombocytopenia. Ann Surg Oncol 2009; 16:2014.
- Guenova E, Schanz S, Hoetzenecker W, et al. Systemic corticosteroids for subcutaneous panniculitis-like T-cell lymphoma. Br J Dermatol 2014; 171:891.
- Willemze R, Jansen PM, Cerroni L, et al. Subcutaneous panniculitis-like T-cell lymphoma: definition, classification, and prognostic factors: an EORTC Cutaneous Lymphoma Group Study of 83 cases. Blood 2008; 111:838.
- Juweid ME, Stroobants S, Hoekstra OS, et al. Use of positron emission tomography for response assessment of lymphoma: consensus of the Imaging Subcommittee of International Harmonization Project in Lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25:571.
- PRETREATMENT EVALUATION
- OVERVIEW OF TREATMENT
- INDUCTION THERAPY
- CONSOLIDATION THERAPY
- - Autologous
- - Allogeneic
- MODIFICATION FOR SUBTYPES
- Anaplastic large cell lymphoma
- Angioimmunoblastic T cell lymphoma
- Hepatosplenic T cell lymphoma
- Subcutaneous panniculitis-like T cell lymphoma
- Extranodal NK/T cell lymphoma, nasal type
- Enteropathy-associated T cell lymphoma
- Adult T cell leukemia-lymphoma
- PATIENT FOLLOW-UP
- Response assessment
- Surveillance for relapse
- CLINICAL TRIALS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS