Initial treatment of peripheral T cell lymphoma
- Eric Jacobsen, MD
Eric Jacobsen, MD
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Arnold S Freedman, MD
Arnold S Freedman, MD
- Section Editor — Lymphoproliferative Disorders
- Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
The peripheral T cell lymphomas (PTCL) are a heterogeneous group of generally aggressive neoplasms that constitute less than 15 percent of all non-Hodgkin lymphomas (NHLs) in adults. Among these, in decreasing frequency of occurrence, are:
●Peripheral T cell lymphoma, not otherwise specified (PTCL, NOS)
●Anaplastic large cell lymphoma, primary systemic type (ALCL)
●Angioimmunoblastic T cell lymphoma (AITL)
●Extranodal NK/T cell lymphoma, nasal type
- Cheson BD, Pfistner B, Juweid ME, et al. Revised response criteria for malignant lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25:579.
- Sonnen R, Schmidt WP, Müller-Hermelink HK, Schmitz N. The International Prognostic Index determines the outcome of patients with nodal mature T-cell lymphomas. Br J Haematol 2005; 129:366.
- Schmitz N, Trümper L, Ziepert M, et al. Treatment and prognosis of mature T-cell and NK-cell lymphoma: an analysis of patients with T-cell lymphoma treated in studies of the German High-Grade Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Study Group. Blood 2010; 116:3418.
- Feugier P, Van Hoof A, Sebban C, et al. Long-term results of the R-CHOP study in the treatment of elderly patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: a study by the Groupe d'Etude des Lymphomes de l'Adulte. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23:4117.
- Vose J, Armitage J, Weisenburger D, International T-Cell Lymphoma Project. International peripheral T-cell and natural killer/T-cell lymphoma study: pathology findings and clinical outcomes. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26:4124.
- Corradini P, Marchetti M, Barosi G, et al. SIE-SIES-GITMO guidelines for the management of adult peripheral T- and NK-cell lymphomas, excluding mature T-cell leukaemias. Ann Oncol 2014; 25:2339.
- http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/nhl.pdf (Accessed on December 23, 2014).
- Dreyling M, Thieblemont C, Gallamini A, et al. ESMO Consensus conferences: guidelines on malignant lymphoma. part 2: marginal zone lymphoma, mantle cell lymphoma, peripheral T-cell lymphoma. Ann Oncol 2013; 24:857.
- Dearden CE, Johnson R, Pettengell R, et al. Guidelines for the management of mature T-cell and NK-cell neoplasms (excluding cutaneous T-cell lymphoma). Br J Haematol 2011; 153:451.
- Simon A, Peoch M, Casassus P, et al. Upfront VIP-reinforced-ABVD (VIP-rABVD) is not superior to CHOP/21 in newly diagnosed peripheral T cell lymphoma. Results of the randomized phase III trial GOELAMS-LTP95. Br J Haematol 2010; 151:159.
- Escalón MP, Liu NS, Yang Y, et al. Prognostic factors and treatment of patients with T-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma: the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center experience. Cancer 2005; 103:2091.
- Ellin F, Landström J, Jerkeman M, Relander T. Real-world data on prognostic factors and treatment in peripheral T-cell lymphomas: a study from the Swedish Lymphoma Registry. Blood 2014; 124:1570.
- Rodríguez J, Caballero MD, Gutiérrez A, et al. High-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplantation in peripheral T-cell lymphoma: the GEL-TAMO experience. Ann Oncol 2003; 14:1768.
- Numata A, Miyamoto T, Ohno Y, et al. Long-term outcomes of autologous PBSCT for peripheral T-cell lymphoma: retrospective analysis of the experience of the Fukuoka BMT group. Bone Marrow Transplant 2010; 45:311.
- Hosing C, Champlin RE. Stem-cell transplantation in T-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. Ann Oncol 2011; 22:1471.
- Smith SM, Burns LJ, van Besien K, et al. Hematopoietic cell transplantation for systemic mature T-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2013; 31:3100.
- d'Amore F, Relander T, Lauritzsen GF, et al. Up-front autologous stem-cell transplantation in peripheral T-cell lymphoma: NLG-T-01. J Clin Oncol 2012; 30:3093.
- Reimer P, Rüdiger T, Geissinger E, et al. Autologous stem-cell transplantation as first-line therapy in peripheral T-cell lymphomas: results of a prospective multicenter study. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27:106.
- Reimer P, Schertlin T, Rüdiger T, et al. Myeloablative radiochemotherapy followed by autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation as first-line therapy in peripheral T-cell lymphomas: first results of a prospective multicenter study. Hematol J 2004; 5:304.
- Reimer P, Ruediger T, Schertlin T, et al. Autologous stem cell transplantation as first line therapy in peripheral T cell lymphomas. Update of a prospective multicenter study [abstract]. Blood 2004; 104.
- Rodríguez J, Conde E, Gutiérrez A, et al. Frontline autologous stem cell transplantation in high-risk peripheral T-cell lymphoma: a prospective study from The Gel-Tamo Study Group. Eur J Haematol 2007; 79:32.
- Corradini P, Tarella C, Zallio F, et al. Long-term follow-up of patients with peripheral T-cell lymphomas treated up-front with high-dose chemotherapy followed by autologous stem cell transplantation. Leukemia 2006; 20:1533.
- Mercadal S, Briones J, Xicoy B, et al. Intensive chemotherapy (high-dose CHOP/ESHAP regimen) followed by autologous stem-cell transplantation in previously untreated patients with peripheral T-cell lymphoma. Ann Oncol 2008; 19:958.
- Rodríguez J, Conde E, Gutiérrez A, et al. Prolonged survival of patients with angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma after high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplantation: the GELTAMO experience. Eur J Haematol 2007; 78:290.
- Schetelig J, Fetscher S, Reichle A, et al. Long-term disease-free survival in patients with angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma after high-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplantation. Haematologica 2003; 88:1272.
- Loirat M, Chevallier P, Leux C, et al. Upfront allogeneic stem-cell transplantation for patients with nonlocalized untreated peripheral T-cell lymphoma: an intention-to-treat analysis from a single center. Ann Oncol 2015; 26:386.
- Lee HK, Wilder RB, Jones D, et al. Outcomes using doxorubicin-based chemotherapy with or without radiotherapy for early-stage peripheral T-cell lymphomas. Leuk Lymphoma 2002; 43:1769.
- Huang MJ, Jiang Y, Liu WP, et al. Early or up-front radiotherapy improved survival of localized extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal-type in the upper aerodigestive tract. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008; 70:166.
- Sakata K, Fuwa N, Kodaira T, et al. Analyses of dose-response in radiotherapy for patients with mature T/NK-cell lymphomas according to the WHO classification. Radiother Oncol 2006; 79:179.
- Zhang XM, Li YX, Wang WH, et al. Survival advantage with the addition of radiation therapy to chemotherapy in early stage peripheral T-cell lymphoma, not otherwise specified. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2013; 85:1051.
- Siegert W, Agthe A, Griesser H, et al. Treatment of angioimmunoblastic lymphadenopathy (AILD)-type T-cell lymphoma using prednisone with or without the COPBLAM/IMVP-16 regimen. A multicenter study. Kiel Lymphoma Study Group. Ann Intern Med 1992; 117:364.
- Kyriakou C, Canals C, Goldstone A, et al. High-dose therapy and autologous stem-cell transplantation in angioimmunoblastic lymphoma: complete remission at transplantation is the major determinant of Outcome-Lymphoma Working Party of the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26:218.
- Kyriakou C, Canals C, Finke J, et al. Allogeneic stem cell transplantation is able to induce long-term remissions in angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma: a retrospective study from the lymphoma working party of the European group for blood and marrow transplantation. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27:3951.
- Delfau-Larue MH, de Leval L, Joly B, et al. Targeting intratumoral B cells with rituximab in addition to CHOP in angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma. A clinicobiological study of the GELA. Haematologica 2012; 97:1594.
- Falchook GS, Vega F, Dang NH, et al. Hepatosplenic gamma-delta T-cell lymphoma: clinicopathological features and treatment. Ann Oncol 2009; 20:1080.
- Gumbs AA, Zain J, Neylon E, et al. Importance of early splenectomy in patients with hepatosplenic T-cell lymphoma and severe thrombocytopenia. Ann Surg Oncol 2009; 16:2014.
- Guenova E, Schanz S, Hoetzenecker W, et al. Systemic corticosteroids for subcutaneous panniculitis-like T-cell lymphoma. Br J Dermatol 2014; 171:891.
- Willemze R, Jansen PM, Cerroni L, et al. Subcutaneous panniculitis-like T-cell lymphoma: definition, classification, and prognostic factors: an EORTC Cutaneous Lymphoma Group Study of 83 cases. Blood 2008; 111:838.
- Juweid ME, Stroobants S, Hoekstra OS, et al. Use of positron emission tomography for response assessment of lymphoma: consensus of the Imaging Subcommittee of International Harmonization Project in Lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25:571.
- PRETREATMENT EVALUATION
- OVERVIEW OF TREATMENT
- INDUCTION THERAPY
- CONSOLIDATION THERAPY
- - Autologous
- - Allogeneic
- MODIFICATION FOR SUBTYPES
- Anaplastic large cell lymphoma
- Angioimmunoblastic T cell lymphoma
- Hepatosplenic T cell lymphoma
- Subcutaneous panniculitis-like T cell lymphoma
- Extranodal NK/T cell lymphoma, nasal type
- Enteropathy-associated T cell lymphoma
- Adult T cell leukemia-lymphoma
- PATIENT FOLLOW-UP
- Response assessment
- Surveillance for relapse
- CLINICAL TRIALS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS