Idiopathic acute eosinophilic pneumonia
- Talmadge E King, Jr, MD
Talmadge E King, Jr, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Section Editor — Interstitial Lung Disease
- Dean, School of Medicine
- Vice Chancellor, Medical Affairs
- University of California San Francisco
Idiopathic acute eosinophilic pneumonia (AEP) was first described as a cause of acute respiratory failure in 1989 [1,2]. Subsequently, cases of AEP have been reported worldwide [3-6]. Although both AEP and chronic eosinophilic pneumonia (CEP) are characterized by eosinophilic infiltration of the pulmonary parenchyma, these disorders are clinically distinct . (See "Chronic eosinophilic pneumonia".)
The clinical features and management of idiopathic acute eosinophilic pneumonia will be reviewed here. Other conditions associated with pulmonary eosinophilia and the approach to adults with diffuse parenchymal lung disease are presented separately (table 1). (See "Causes of pulmonary eosinophilia" and "Chronic eosinophilic pneumonia" and "Approach to the adult with interstitial lung disease: Clinical evaluation" and "Approach to the adult with interstitial lung disease: Diagnostic testing".)
The cause of acute eosinophilic pneumonia (AEP) remains unknown. Some investigators have suggested that AEP is an acute hypersensitivity reaction to an unidentified inhaled antigen in an otherwise healthy individual . The following observations are consistent with this hypothesis:
●In several reports, patients have been involved in unusual outdoor activities just prior to the onset of their illness [1,8-10]. As an example, AEP developed in at least one firefighter following the collapse of the World Trade Center towers in 2001 . Another case developed in a young male smoker after he inhaled smoke from fireworks for three consecutive nights .
●A temporal relationship has been described in a number of patients between the development of AEP and the recent onset of cigarette smoking (for the first time or following a period of smoking cessation) [8,12-24]. In one patient, a cigarette-smoking challenge test led to recurrence of eosinophilic pneumonia . In contrast, the process resolved in another patient despite continued cigarette smoking . An association between passive smoking and AEP has also been reported .To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Badesch DB, King TE Jr, Schwarz MI. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia: a hypersensitivity phenomenon? Am Rev Respir Dis 1989; 139:249.
- Allen JN, Pacht ER, Gadek JE, Davis WB. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia as a reversible cause of noninfectious respiratory failure. N Engl J Med 1989; 321:569.
- Arrese M, Castellón JM, Contreras G. [Eosinophilic pneumonia causing severe respiratory insufficiency. Clinical case]. Rev Med Chil 1991; 119:299.
- Nishio M, Ohata M, Suruda T, et al. Idiopathic acute eosinophilic pneumonia. Intern Med 1992; 31:1139.
- Slabbynck H, Coeck C, Galdermans D, et al. Dyspnea, fever, and eosinophilia. Chest 1993; 104:585.
- Balbi B, Fabiano F. A young man with fever, dyspnoea and nonproductive cough. Eur Respir J 1996; 9:619.
- Cordier J-F, Cottin V. Eosinophilic pneumonias. In: Interstitial Lung Disease, 5th, Schwarz MI, King TE Jr (Eds), People's Medical Publishing House-USA, Shelton, CT 2011. p.833.
- Philit F, Etienne-Mastroïanni B, Parrot A, et al. Idiopathic acute eosinophilic pneumonia: a study of 22 patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002; 166:1235.
- Pope-Harman AL, Davis WB, Allen ED, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia. A summary of 15 cases and review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 1996; 75:334.
- Rom WN, Weiden M, Garcia R, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia in a New York City firefighter exposed to World Trade Center dust. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002; 166:797.
- Hirai K, Yamazaki Y, Okada K, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia associated with smoke from fireworks. Intern Med 2000; 39:401.
- Miki K, Miki M, Nakamura Y, et al. Early-phase neutrophilia in cigarette smoke-induced acute eosinophilic pneumonia. Intern Med 2003; 42:839.
- Watanabe K, Fujimura M, Kasahara K, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia following cigarette smoking: a case report including cigarette-smoking challenge test. Intern Med 2002; 41:1016.
- Shiota Y, Kawai T, Matsumoto H, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia following cigarette smoking. Intern Med 2000; 39:830.
- Shorr AF, Scoville SL, Cersovsky SB, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia among US Military personnel deployed in or near Iraq. JAMA 2004; 292:2997.
- Al-Saieg N, Moammar O, Kartan R. Flavored cigar smoking induces acute eosinophilic pneumonia. Chest 2007; 131:1234.
- Grossi E, Poletti G, Poletti V. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia with respiratory failure: a case likely triggered by cigarette smoking. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 2004; 61:58.
- Uchiyama H, Suda T, Nakamura Y, et al. Alterations in smoking habits are associated with acute eosinophilic pneumonia. Chest 2008; 133:1174.
- Rhee CK, Min KH, Yim NY, et al. Clinical characteristics and corticosteroid treatment of acute eosinophilic pneumonia. Eur Respir J 2013; 41:402.
- Shintani H, Fujimura M, Yasui M, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia caused by cigarette smoking. Intern Med 2000; 39:66.
- Natarajan A, Shah P, Mirrakhimov AE, Hussain N. Eosinophilic pneumonia associated with concomitant cigarette and marijuana smoking. BMJ Case Rep 2013; 2013.
- Ogura N, Kono Y, To M, et al. Menthol-Flavored Cigarettes: Potentially a Strong Trigger of Acute Eosinophilic Pneumonia. Am J Med 2017; 130:e63.
- Yoon CG, Kim SJ, Kim K, et al. Clinical Characteristics and Factors Influencing the Occurrence of Acute Eosinophilic Pneumonia in Korean Military Personnel. J Korean Med Sci 2016; 31:247.
- De Giacomi F, Decker PA, Vassallo R, Ryu JH. Acute Eosinophilic Pneumonia: Correlation of Clinical Characteristics With Underlying Cause. Chest 2017; 152:379.
- Kitahara Y, Matsumoto K, Taooka Y, et al. Cigarette smoking-induced acute eosinophilic pneumonia showing tolerance in broncho-alveolar lavage findings. Intern Med 2003; 42:1016.
- Chung MK, Lee SJ, Kim MY, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia following secondhand cigarette smoke exposure. Tuberc Respir Dis (Seoul) 2014; 76:188.
- Retzky SS. FDA Encourages Reporting of Tobacco Product Adverse Experiences. Chest 2016; 150:1169.
- Thota D, Latham E. Case report of electronic cigarettes possibly associated with eosinophilic pneumonitis in a previously healthy active-duty sailor. J Emerg Med 2014; 47:15.
- Kamada T, Yamashita Y, Tomioka H. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia following heat-not-burn cigarette smoking. Respirol Case Rep 2016; 4:e00190.
- Imokawa S, Sato A, Hayakawa H, et al. Possible involvement of an environmental agent in the development of acute eosinophilic pneumonia. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 1996; 76:419.
- Glazer CS, Cohen LB, Schwarz MI. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia in AIDS. Chest 2001; 120:1732.
- McCormick M, Nelson T. Cocaine-induced fatal acute eosinophilic pneumonia: a case report. WMJ 2007; 106:92.
- Brander PE, Tukiainen P. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia in a heroin smoker. Eur Respir J 1993; 6:750.
- Tazelaar HD, Linz LJ, Colby TV, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia: histopathologic findings in nine patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997; 155:296.
- Mochimaru H, Fukuda Y, Azuma A, et al. Reconsideration of discrepancies between clinical and histopathological features in acute eosinophilic pneumonia. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis 2015; 31:325.
- Janz DR, O'Neal HR Jr, Ely EW. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia: A case report and review of the literature. Crit Care Med 2009; 37:1470.
- Ricker DH, Taylor SR, Gartner JC Jr, Kurland G. Fatal pulmonary aspergillosis presenting as acute eosinophilic pneumonia in a previously healthy child. Chest 1991; 100:875.
- Buchheit J, Eid N, Rodgers G Jr, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia with respiratory failure: a new syndrome? Am Rev Respir Dis 1992; 145:716.
- Umeki S, Soejima R. Acute and chronic eosinophilic pneumonia: clinical evaluation and the criteria. Intern Med 1992; 31:847.
- Umeki S. Reevaluation of eosinophilic pneumonia and its diagnostic criteria. Arch Intern Med 1992; 152:1913.
- Hayakawa H, Sato A, Toyoshima M, et al. A clinical study of idiopathic eosinophilic pneumonia. Chest 1994; 105:1462.
- Ogawa H, Fujimura M, Matsuda T, et al. Transient wheeze. Eosinophilic bronchobronchiolitis in acute eosinophilic pneumonia. Chest 1993; 104:493.
- Jantz MA, Sahn SA. Corticosteroids in acute respiratory failure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999; 160:1079.
- Buddharaju VL, Saraceno JL, Rosen JM, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia associated with shock. Crit Care Med 1999; 27:2014.
- Jhun BW, Kim SJ, Kim K, Lee JE. Clinical implications of initial peripheral eosinophilia in acute eosinophilic pneumonia. Respirology 2014; 19:1059.
- Andreu V, Bataller R, Caballería J, Rodés J. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia associated with ranitidine. J Clin Gastroenterol 1996; 23:160.
- Fleisch MC, Blauer F, Gubler JG, et al. Eosinophilic pneumonia and respiratory failure associated with venlafaxine treatment. Eur Respir J 2000; 15:205.
- Camus, P. The drug-induced respiratory disease website. www.pneumotox.com (Accessed on December 02, 2014).
- Yakabe T, Kitahara K, Komiya K, et al. Severe eosinophilic pneumonia presenting during gemcitabine adjuvant chemotherapy. World J Surg Oncol 2013; 11:167.
- Hirai J, Hagihara M, Haranaga S, et al. Eosinophilic pneumonia caused by daptomycin: Six cases from two institutions and a review of the literature. J Infect Chemother 2017; 23:245.
- Uppal P, LaPlante KL, Gaitanis MM, et al. Daptomycin-induced eosinophilic pneumonia - a systematic review. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control 2016; 5:55.
- Foong KS, Lee A, Pekez M, Bin W. Imipenem/cilastatin-induced acute eosinophilic pneumonia. BMJ Case Rep 2016; 2016.
- Franco AI, Escobar L, García XA, et al. Mesalazine-induced eosinophilic pneumonia in a patient with ulcerative colitis disease: a case report and literature review. Int J Colorectal Dis 2016; 31:927.
- Yoshimi M, Nannya Y, Watanabe T, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia is a non-infectious lung complication after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Int J Hematol 2009; 89:244.
- Tsigkaropoulou E, Hatzilia D, Rizos E, et al. Venlafaxine-induced acute eosinophilic pneumonia. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2011; 33:411.e7.
- Inoue M, Horita N, Kimura N, et al. Three cases of mesalazine-induced pneumonitis with eosinophilia. Respir Investig 2014; 52:209.
- Amiconi S. How are Eosinophils Supplied from Bone Marrow to Eosinophil-Infiltrated Tissues, When Blood Eosinophilia is Not Observed? The Case of Acute Eosinophilic Pneumonia. N Am J Med Sci 2014; 6:349.
- Allen JN, Davis WB. Eosinophilic lung diseases. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1994; 150:1423.
- Abe K, Yanagi S, Imadsu Y, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia with fine nodular shadows. Intern Med 2003; 42:88.
- Daimon T, Johkoh T, Sumikawa H, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia: Thin-section CT findings in 29 patients. Eur J Radiol 2008; 65:462.
- Cheon JE, Lee KS, Jung GS, et al. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia: radiographic and CT findings in six patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1996; 167:1195.
- Swartz J, Stoller JK. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia complicating Coccidioides immitis pneumonia: a case report and literature review. Respiration 2009; 77:102.
- Miyazaki E, Sugisaki K, Shigenaga T, et al. A case of acute eosinophilic pneumonia caused by inhalation of Trichosporon terrestre. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995; 151:541.
- Nesbit LA, Knox KS, Nguyen CT, et al. Immunological characterization of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in patients with acute pulmonary coccidioidomycosis. J Infect Dis 2013; 208:857.
- Mouri M, Nambu Y, Horii H, et al. [Case report and review of literature on seasonal distribution and pathogenesis of acute eosinophilic pneumonia in Japan]. Nihon Kyobu Shikkan Gakkai Zasshi 1993; 31:1578.
- Imokawa S, Sato A, Taniguchi M, et al. [Two cases of acute eosinophilic pneumonia with precipitating antibody against Trichosporon cutaneum and Trichoderma viride]. Nihon Kyobu Shikkan Gakkai Zasshi 1993; 31:352.
- Trawick D, Kotch A, Matthay R, Homer RJ. Eosinophilic pneumonia as a presentation of occult chronic granulomatous disease. Eur Respir J 1997; 10:2166.
- Allen J. Acute eosinophilic pneumonia. Semin Respir Crit Care Med 2006; 27:142.
- Jhun BW, Kim SJ, Kim K, Lee JE. Outcomes of rapid corticosteroid tapering in acute eosinophilic pneumonia patients with initial eosinophilia. Respirology 2015; 20:1241.