Endothelin and the kidney
- Donald E Kohan, MD, PhD
Donald E Kohan, MD, PhD
- Professor of Medicine
- University of Utah School of Medicine
The endothelin (ET) family consists of three 21-amino acid peptides (ET-1, ET-2, and ET-3) . Each ET is formed as a propeptide known as big ET, which is converted to the mature peptide by endothelin-converting enzymes located both inside and outside of cells [2,3].
Once secreted, ETs bind to two general classes of receptors: endothelin A (ETA) and endothelin B (ETB) [4,5]. Two important features of ET-receptor interaction help explain the actions of ET:
●ET remains bound to the receptor for several hours, imparting a sustained effect
●ET generally binds to receptors located on the same cell as, or on cells immediately adjacent to, the cells that secreted the peptide
ETs are produced by most cell types in the kidney and have a wide variety of biologic actions. The most important are:
- Inoue A, Yanagisawa M, Kimura S, et al. The human endothelin family: three structurally and pharmacologically distinct isopeptides predicted by three separate genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1989; 86:2863.
- Emoto N, Yanagisawa M. Endothelin-converting enzyme-2 is a membrane-bound, phosphoramidon-sensitive metalloprotease with acidic pH optimum. J Biol Chem 1995; 270:15262.
- Xu D, Emoto N, Giaid A, et al. ECE-1: a membrane-bound metalloprotease that catalyzes the proteolytic activation of big endothelin-1. Cell 1994; 78:473.
- Hosoda K, Nakao K, Tamura N, et al. Organization, structure, chromosomal assignment, and expression of the gene encoding the human endothelin-A receptor. J Biol Chem 1992; 267:18797.
- Sakamoto A, Yanagisawa M, Sakurai T, et al. Cloning and functional expression of human cDNA for the ETB endothelin receptor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1991; 178:656.
- Yanagisawa M, Kurihara H, Kimura S, et al. A novel potent vasoconstrictor peptide produced by vascular endothelial cells. Nature 1988; 332:411.
- Madeddu P, Troffa C, Glorioso N, et al. Effect of endothelin on regional hemodynamics and renal function in awake normotensive rats. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 1989; 14:818.
- Herizi A, Jover B, Bouriquet N, Mimran A. Prevention of the cardiovascular and renal effects of angiotensin II by endothelin blockade. Hypertension 1998; 31:10.
- Verhaar MC, Strachan FE, Newby DE, et al. Endothelin-A receptor antagonist-mediated vasodilatation is attenuated by inhibition of nitric oxide synthesis and by endothelin-B receptor blockade. Circulation 1998; 97:752.
- Kohan DE. Endothelins in the normal and diseased kidney. Am J Kidney Dis 1997; 29:2.
- Lanese DM, Conger JD. Effects of endothelin receptor antagonist on cyclosporine-induced vasoconstriction in isolated rat renal arterioles. J Clin Invest 1993; 91:2144.
- Garvin J, Sanders K. Endothelin inhibits fluid and bicarbonate transport in part by reducing Na+/K+ ATPase activity in the rat proximal straight tubule. J Am Soc Nephrol 1991; 2:976.
- Ominato M, Satoh T, Katz AI. Endothelins inhibit Na-K-ATPase activity in proximal tubules: Studies of mechanisms (abstract). J Am Soc Nephrol 1994; 5:588.
- Kohan DE. Endothelins: renal tubule synthesis and actions. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 1996; 23:337.
- Bugaj V, Pochynyuk O, Mironova E, et al. Regulation of the epithelial Na+ channel by endothelin-1 in rat collecting duct. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2008; 295:F1063.
- Schneider MP, Ge Y, Pollock DM, et al. Collecting duct-derived endothelin regulates arterial pressure and Na excretion via nitric oxide. Hypertension 2008; 51:1605.
- Ahn D, Ge Y, Stricklett PK, et al. Collecting duct-specific knockout of endothelin-1 causes hypertension and sodium retention. J Clin Invest 2004; 114:504.
- Ge Y, Bagnall A, Stricklett PK, et al. Collecting duct-specific knockout of the endothelin B receptor causes hypertension and sodium retention. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2006; 291:F1274.
- Ge Y, Stricklett PK, Hughes AK, et al. Collecting duct-specific knockout of the endothelin A receptor alters renal vasopressin responsiveness, but not sodium excretion or blood pressure. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2005; 289:F692.
- Tomita K, Nonoguchi H, Marumo F. Effects of endothelin on peptide-dependent cyclic adenosine monophosphate accumulation along the nephron segments of the rat. J Clin Invest 1990; 85:2014.
- Tomita K, Nonoguchi H, Terada Y, Marumo F. Effects of ET-1 on water and chloride transport in cortical collecting ducts of the rat. Am J Physiol 1993; 264:F690.
- Ge Y, Ahn D, Stricklett PK, et al. Collecting duct-specific knockout of endothelin-1 alters vasopressin regulation of urine osmolality. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2005; 288:F912.
- Wesson DE. Regulation of kidney acid excretion by endothelins. Kidney Int 2006; 70:2066.
- Ong AC, Jowett TP, Firth JD, et al. An endothelin-1 mediated autocrine growth loop involved in human renal tubular regeneration. Kidney Int 1995; 48:390.
- Ruíz-Ortega M, Gómez-Garre D, Alcázar R, et al. Involvement of angiotensin II and endothelin in matrix protein production and renal sclerosis. J Hypertens Suppl 1994; 12:S51.
- Sorokin A, Kohan DE. Physiology and pathology of endothelin-1 in renal mesangium. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2003; 285:F579.
- Orisio S, Benigni A, Bruzzi I, et al. Renal endothelin gene expression is increased in remnant kidney and correlates with disease progression. Kidney Int 1993; 43:354.
- Chatziantoniou C, Dussaule JC. Endothelin and renal vascular fibrosis: of mice and men. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2000; 9:31.
- Benigni A, Corna D, Maffi R, et al. Renoprotective effect of contemporary blocking of angiotensin II and endothelin-1 in rats with membranous nephropathy. Kidney Int 1998; 54:353.
- Benigni A. Endothelin antagonists in renal disease. Kidney Int 2000; 57:1778.
- Benigni A, Perico N, Remuzzi G. The potential of endothelin antagonism as a therapeutic approach. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 2004; 13:1419.
- Gómez-Garre D, Ruiz-Ortega M, Ortego M, et al. Effects and interactions of endothelin-1 and angiotensin II on matrix protein expression and synthesis and mesangial cell growth. Hypertension 1996; 27:885.
- Dhein S, Hochreuther S, Aus Dem Spring C, et al. Long-term effects of the endothelin(A) receptor antagonist LU 135252 and the angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor trandolapril on diabetic angiopathy and nephropathy in a chronic type I diabetes mellitus rat model. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2000; 293:351.
- Kitamura A, Kagami S, Urushihara M, et al. Endothelin-1 is a potent stimulator of alpha1beta1 integrin-mediated collagen matrix remodeling by rat mesangial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2002; 299:555.
- Nakamura T, Ebihara I, Fukui M, et al. Effect of a specific endothelin receptor A antagonist on mRNA levels for extracellular matrix components and growth factors in diabetic glomeruli. Diabetes 1995; 44:895.
- Gagliardini E, Corna D, Zoja C, et al. Unlike each drug alone, lisinopril if combined with avosentan promotes regression of renal lesions in experimental diabetes. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2009; 297:F1448.
- Goddard J, Johnston NR, Hand MF, et al. Endothelin-A receptor antagonism reduces blood pressure and increases renal blood flow in hypertensive patients with chronic renal failure: a comparison of selective and combined endothelin receptor blockade. Circulation 2004; 109:1186.
- Dhaun N, Goddard J, Webb DJ. The endothelin system and its antagonism in chronic kidney disease. J Am Soc Nephrol 2006; 17:943.
- Goddard J, Eckhart C, Johnston NR, et al. Endothelin A receptor antagonism and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition are synergistic via an endothelin B receptor-mediated and nitric oxide-dependent mechanism. J Am Soc Nephrol 2004; 15:2601.
- Raichlin E, Prasad A, Mathew V, et al. Efficacy and safety of atrasentan in patients with cardiovascular risk and early atherosclerosis. Hypertension 2008; 52:522.
- Kohan DE, Pritchett Y, Molitch M, et al. Addition of atrasentan to renin-angiotensin system blockade reduces albuminuria in diabetic nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol 2011; 22:763.
- de Zeeuw D, Coll B, Andress D, et al. The endothelin antagonist atrasentan lowers residual albuminuria in patients with type 2 diabetic nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol 2014; 25:1083.
- Wenzel RR, Littke T, Kuranoff S, et al. Avosentan reduces albumin excretion in diabetics with macroalbuminuria. J Am Soc Nephrol 2009; 20:655.
- Mann JF, Green D, Jamerson K, et al. Avosentan for overt diabetic nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol 2010; 21:527.