Complications of hemodialysis in the older patient
- Jeffrey S Berns, MD
Jeffrey S Berns, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Nephrology
- Section Editor — Dialysis
- Professor of Medicine
- Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
Older patients are subject to the same complications as all patients on maintenance hemodialysis. For a variety of reasons, many of these complications occur with increased frequency in older subjects. The most important are:
●Gastrointestinal bleedingTo continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Letteri JM. Symptomatic hypotension during hemodialysis. Semin Dial 1998; 11:253.
- Henrich WL. Hemodynamic instability during hemodialysis. Kidney Int 1986; 30:605.
- Kouw PM, Kooman JP, Cheriex EC, et al. Assessment of postdialysis dry weight: a comparison of techniques. J Am Soc Nephrol 1993; 4:98.
- Shinzato T, Miwa M, Nakai S, et al. Role of adenosine in dialysis-induced hypotension. J Am Soc Nephrol 1994; 4:1987.
- Ghent S, Judson MA, Rosansky SJ. Refractory hypotension associated with hypocalcemia and renal disease. Am J Kidney Dis 1994; 23:430.
- Barakat MM, Nawab ZM, Yu AW, et al. Hemodynamic effects of intradialytic food ingestion and the effects of caffeine. J Am Soc Nephrol 1993; 3:1813.
- Benaroia M, Iliescu EA. Oral intake during hemodialysis: is there an association with intradialytic hypotension? Hemodial Int 2008; 12:62.
- Noris M, Benigni A, Boccardo P, et al. Enhanced nitric oxide synthesis in uremia: implications for platelet dysfunction and dialysis hypotension. Kidney Int 1993; 44:445.
- Yokokawa K, Mankus R, Saklayen MG, et al. Increased nitric oxide production in patients with hypotension during hemodialysis. Ann Intern Med 1995; 123:35.
- Henrich WL. Dialysis considerations in the elderly patient. Am J Kidney Dis 1990; 16:339.
- Cléroux J, Giannattasio C, Grassi G, et al. Effects of ageing on the cardiopulmonary receptor reflex in normotensive humans. J Hypertens Suppl 1988; 6:S141.
- Lipsitz LA, Nyquist RP Jr, Wei JY, Rowe JW. Postprandial reduction in blood pressure in the elderly. N Engl J Med 1983; 309:81.
- Sherman RA, Torres F, Cody RP. Postprandial blood pressure changes during hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 1988; 12:37.
- Daugirdas JT. Dialysis hypotension: a hemodynamic analysis. Kidney Int 1991; 39:233.
- Ross C, Rutsky EA. Dialysis modality selection in the elderly patient with end-stage renal disease: Advantages and disadvantages of peritoneal dialysis. Adv Perit Dial 1990; 6:11.
- Canaud B, Tong L, Tentori F, et al. Clinical practices and outcomes in elderly hemodialysis patients: results from the Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS). Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2011; 6:1651.
- Johansson L, Fouque D, Bellizzi V, et al. As we grow old: nutritional considerations for older patients on dialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2016.
- Chauveau P, Combe C, Laville M, et al. Factors influencing survival in hemodialysis patients aged older than 75 years: 2.5-year outcome study. Am J Kidney Dis 2001; 37:997.
- Hakim RM, Levin N. Malnutrition in hemodialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis 1993; 21:125.
- Chester AC, Rakowski TA, Argy WP Jr, et al. Hemodialysis in the eighth and ninth decades of life. Arch Intern Med 1979; 139:1001.
- Lipschutz DE, Easterling RE. Spontaneous perforation of the colon in chronic renal failure. Arch Intern Med 1973; 132:758.
- Porush JG, Faubert PF. Chronic renal failure. In: Renal Disease in the Aged, Porush JG, Faubert PF (Eds), Little, Brown, Boston 1991. p.285.
- Wagner J, Jhaveri KD, Rosen L, et al. Increased bone fractures among elderly United States hemodialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2014; 29:146.
- Mathew AT, Hazzan A, Jhaveri KD, et al. Increasing hip fractures in patients receiving hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Am J Nephrol 2014; 40:451.