Complex regional pain syndrome in children
- David D Sherry, MD
David D Sherry, MD
- Professor of Pediatrics
- University of Pennsylvania
- Section Editors
- Thomas JA Lehman, MD
Thomas JA Lehman, MD
- Section Editor — Pediatric Rheumatology
- Professor of Clinical Pediatrics
- Cornell University Medical College
- Marc C Patterson, MD, FRACP
Marc C Patterson, MD, FRACP
- Section Editor — Pediatric Neurology
- Professor of Neurology, Pediatrics, and Medical Genetics
- Chair, Division of Child and Adolescent Neurology
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) is an amplified musculoskeletal pain syndrome that is characterized by extreme pain in a limb out of proportion to the history and physical findings, accompanied by one or more signs of autonomic dysfunction . Although CRPS was first reported in 1864 , it was not until 1971 that CRPS was described in a child . Since the initial pediatric report, CRPS is increasingly recognized in pediatric pain, rheumatology, and neurology clinics [4-6].
The clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and management of CRPS in children are reviewed here. CRPS in adults is discussed separately. (See "Complex regional pain syndrome in adults: Pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis" and "Complex regional pain syndrome in adults: Prevention and management".)
Alternative names for CRPS in the literature include reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD), algodystrophy, causalgia, Sudeck atrophy, transient osteoporosis, and acute atrophy of bone. In 1995, a consensus conference grouped these disorders under a single heading of CRPS .
CRPS is divided into two categories:
●Type I occurs in patients with CRPS without a definable nerve lesion.To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Merskey H, Bogduk N. Classification of chronic pain: descriptions of chronic pain syndromes and definitions of pain terms, 2nd edition, IASP Press, Seattle 1994.
- Mitchell S, Morehouse G, Keen W. Gunshot wounds and other injuries of nerves, Lippincott, New York 1864.
- Matles AI. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy in a child. A case report. Bull Hosp Joint Dis 1971; 32:193.
- Bernstein BH, Singsen BH, Kent JT, et al. Reflex neurovascular dystrophy in childhood. J Pediatr 1978; 93:211.
- Sherry DD, Wallace CA, Kelley C, et al. Short- and long-term outcomes of children with complex regional pain syndrome type I treated with exercise therapy. Clin J Pain 1999; 15:218.
- Wilder RT, Berde CB, Wolohan M, et al. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy in children. Clinical characteristics and follow-up of seventy patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1992; 74:910.
- Stanton-Hicks M, Jänig W, Hassenbusch S, et al. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy: changing concepts and taxonomy. Pain 1995; 63:127.
- Tan EC, Zijlstra B, Essink ML, et al. Complex regional pain syndrome type I in children. Acta Paediatr 2008; 97:875.
- Ashwal S, Tomasi L, Neumann M, Schneider S. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome in children. Pediatr Neurol 1988; 4:38.
- Barbier O, Allington N, Rombouts JJ. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy in children: review of a clinical series and description of the particularities in children. Acta Orthop Belg 1999; 65:91.
- Berde CB, Lebel A. Complex regional pain syndromes in children and adolescents. Anesthesiology 2005; 102:252.
- Kachko L, Efrat R, Ben Ami S, et al. Complex regional pain syndromes in children and adolescents. Pediatr Int 2008; 50:523.
- Kesler RW, Saulsbury FT, Miller LT, Rowlingson JC. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy in children: treatment with transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation. Pediatrics 1988; 82:728.
- Sherry DD, Weisman R. Psychologic aspects of childhood reflex neurovascular dystrophy. Pediatrics 1988; 81:572.
- Silber TJ, Majd M. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome in children and adolescents. Report of 18 cases and review of the literature. Am J Dis Child 1988; 142:1325.
- Stanton RP, Malcolm JR, Wesdock KA, Singsen BH. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy in children: an orthopedic perspective. Orthopedics 1993; 16:773.
- Wilder RT. Management of pediatric patients with complex regional pain syndrome. Clin J Pain 2006; 22:443.
- Richards S, Chalkiadis G, Lakshman R, et al. Complex regional pain syndrome following immunisation. Arch Dis Child 2012; 97:913.
- Maihöfner C, Handwerker HO, Neundörfer B, Birklein F. Cortical reorganization during recovery from complex regional pain syndrome. Neurology 2004; 63:693.
- Lebel A, Becerra L, Wallin D, et al. fMRI reveals distinct CNS processing during symptomatic and recovered complex regional pain syndrome in children. Brain 2008; 131:1854.
- Rommel O, Gehling M, Dertwinkel R, et al. Hemisensory impairment in patients with complex regional pain syndrome. Pain 1999; 80:95.
- Ruggeri SB, Athreya BH, Doughty R, et al. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy in children. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1982; :225.
- Silber TJ. Anorexia nervosa and reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome. Psychosomatics 1989; 30:108.
- Silber TJ. Eating disorders and reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome: is there a common pathway? Med Hypotheses 1997; 48:197.
- de Rooij AM, de Mos M, Sturkenboom MC, et al. Familial occurrence of complex regional pain syndrome. Eur J Pain 2009; 13:171.
- Higashimoto T, Baldwin EE, Gold JI, Boles RG. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy: complex regional pain syndrome type I in children with mitochondrial disease and maternal inheritance. Arch Dis Child 2008; 93:390.
- Sandroni P, Benrud-Larson LM, McClelland RL, Low PA. Complex regional pain syndrome type I: incidence and prevalence in Olmsted county, a population-based study. Pain 2003; 103:199.
- Güler-Uysal F, Başaran S, Geertzen JH, Göncü K. A 2 1/2-year-old girl with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (CRPS type I): case report. Clin Rehabil 2003; 17:224.
- Jastaniah WA, Dobson S, Lugsdin JG, Petty RE. Complex regional pain syndrome after hepatitis B vaccine. J Pediatr 2003; 143:802.
- Genc H, Karagoz A, Saracoglu M, et al. Complex regional pain syndrome type-I after rubella vaccine. Eur J Pain 2005; 9:517.
- Kozin F, Haughton V, Ryan L. The reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome in a child. J Pediatr 1977; 90:417.
- Goldsmith DP, Vivino FB, Eichenfield AH, et al. Nuclear imaging and clinical features of childhood reflex neurovascular dystrophy: comparison with adults. Arthritis Rheum 1989; 32:480.
- Laxer RM, Allen RC, Malleson PN, et al. Technetium 99m-methylene diphosphonate bone scans in children with reflex neurovascular dystrophy. J Pediatr 1985; 106:437.
- Tondeur M, Sand A, Ham H. Interobserver reproducibility in the interpretation of bone scans from patients suspected of having reflex sympathetic dystrophy. Clin Nucl Med 2005; 30:4.
- Graif M, Schweitzer ME, Marks B, et al. Synovial effusion in reflex sympathetic dystrophy: an additional sign for diagnosis and staging. Skeletal Radiol 1998; 27:262.
- Schürmann M, Zaspel J, Löhr P, et al. Imaging in early posttraumatic complex regional pain syndrome: a comparison of diagnostic methods. Clin J Pain 2007; 23:449.
- Meier PM, Alexander ME, Sethna NF, et al. Complex regional pain syndromes in children and adolescents: regional and systemic signs and symptoms and hemodynamic response to tilt table testing. Clin J Pain 2006; 22:399.
- Lightman HI, Pochaczevsky R, Aprin H, Ilowite NT. Thermography in childhood reflex sympathetic dystrophy. J Pediatr 1987; 111:551.
- Dietz FR, Mathews KD, Montgomery WJ. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy in children. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1990; :225.
- Wesdock KA, Stanton RP, Singsen BH. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy in children. A physical therapy approach. Arthritis Care Res 1991; 4:32.
- Lee BH, Scharff L, Sethna NF, et al. Physical therapy and cognitive-behavioral treatment for complex regional pain syndromes. J Pediatr 2002; 141:135.
- Brooke V, Janselewitz S. Outcomes of children with complex regional pain syndrome after intensive inpatient rehabilitation. PM R 2012; 4:349.
- Logan DE, Carpino EA, Chiang G, et al. A day-hospital approach to treatment of pediatric complex regional pain syndrome: initial functional outcomes. Clin J Pain 2012; 28:766.
- Buchta RM. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy in a 14-year-old female. J Adolesc Health Care 1983; 4:121.
- Wheeler DS, Vaux KK, Tam DA. Use of gabapentin in the treatment of childhood reflex sympathetic dystrophy. Pediatr Neurol 2000; 22:220.
- Lalwani K, Shoham A, Koh JL, McGraw T. Use of oxcarbazepine to treat a pediatric patient with resistant complex regional pain syndrome. J Pain 2005; 6:704.
- Low AK, Ward K, Wines AP. Pediatric complex regional pain syndrome. J Pediatr Orthop 2007; 27:567.
- McNicol ED, Midbari A, Eisenberg E. Opioids for neuropathic pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013; :CD006146.
- di Vadi PP, Brill S, Jack T, et al. Intravenous regional blocks with guanethidine and prilocaine combined with physiotherapy: two children with complex regional pain syndrome, type 1. Eur J Anaesthesiol 2002; 19:384.
- Geertzen JH, Rietman JS, Smit AJ, Zimmerman KW. A young female patient with reflex sympathetic dystrophy of the upper limb in whom amputation became inevitable. Prosthet Orthot Int 1997; 21:159.
- Krasna MJ, Jiao X, Sonett J, et al. Thoracoscopic sympathectomy. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2000; 10:314.
- Petje G, Radler C, Aigner N, et al. Treatment of reflex sympathetic dystrophy in children using a prostacyclin analog: preliminary results. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2005; :178.
- Tong HC, Nelson VS. Recurrent and migratory reflex sympathetic dystrophy in children. Pediatr Rehabil 2000; 4:87.
- Wettrell G, Hallböök T, Hultquist C. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy in two young females. Acta Paediatr Scand 1979; 68:923.
- Sherry DD. DVD: Amplified musculoskeletal pain in children. Diagnosis and treatment. A guide for physical and occupational therapists. www.childhoodrnd.org 2002. 46 minutes.
- Zollinger PE, Tuinebreijer WE, Breederveld RS, Kreis RW. Can vitamin C prevent complex regional pain syndrome in patients with wrist fractures? A randomized, controlled, multicenter dose-response study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2007; 89:1424.
- Childhood versus adult CRPS
- Local factors
- Role of the central nervous system
- - Psychologic issues
- Genetic predisposition
- CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS
- Autonomic dysfunction
- Sleep disturbances
- Psychologic findings
- Other findings
- Laboratory studies
- - Blood tests
- - Imaging studies
- Other studies
- DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Psychologic and behavioral therapy
- Pharmacologic therapy
- Pain-reducing procedures
- Our approach
- Primary care
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS