- E William St Clair, MD
E William St Clair, MD
- Professor of Medicine and Immunology
- Chief, Division of Rheumatology and Immunology
- Duke University Medical Center
- Rex McCallum, MD
Rex McCallum, MD
- Professor of Internal Medicine/Rheumatology
- Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs
- University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
Cogan's syndrome (CS) is a chronic inflammatory disorder that most commonly affects young adults. Clinical hallmarks are interstitial keratitis (IK) and vestibuloauditory dysfunction . Associations between CS and systemic vasculitis, as well as aortitis, also exist [2-4].
The pathology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and treatment of CS will be presented here.
Limited autopsy data derived from temporal bone specimens of patients with Cogan's syndrome (CS) reveal a range of findings, including [5-7]:
●Lymphocyte and plasma cell infiltration of the spiral ligament
●Endolymphatic hydropsTo continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Cogan DS. Syndrome of nonsyphilitic interstitial keratitis and vestibuloauditory symptoms. Arch Ophthalmol 1945; 33:144.
- Haynes BF, Kaiser-Kupfer MI, Mason P, Fauci AS. Cogan syndrome: studies in thirteen patients, long-term follow-up, and a review of the literature. Medicine (Baltimore) 1980; 59:426.
- Vollertsen RS, McDonald TJ, Younge BR, et al. Cogan's syndrome: 18 cases and a review of the literature. Mayo Clin Proc 1986; 61:344.
- St Clair EW, McCallum RM. Cogan's syndrome. Curr Opin Rheumatol 1999; 11:47.
- FISHER ER, HELLSTROM HR. Cogan's syndrome and systemic vascular disease. Analysis of pathologic features with reference to its relationship to thromboangiitis obliterans (Buerger). Arch Pathol 1961; 72:572.
- Rarey KE, Bicknell JM, Davis LE. Intralabyrinthine osteogenesis in Cogan's syndrome. Am J Otolaryngol 1986; 7:387.
- Schuknecht HF, Nadol JB Jr. Temporal bone pathology in a case of Cogan's syndrome. Laryngoscope 1994; 104:1135.
- Negroni L, Tiberio G. [Cogan's syndrome]. Riv Otoneurooftalmol 1969; 44:199.
- Jung DH, Nadol JB Jr, Folkerth RD, Merola JF. Histopathology of the Inner Ear in a Case With Recent Onset of Cogan's Syndrome: Evidence for Vasculitis. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2016; 125:20.
- Cochrane AD, Tatoulis J. Cogan's syndrome with aortitis, aortic regurgitation, and aortic arch vessel stenoses. Ann Thorac Surg 1991; 52:1166.
- Livingston JZ, Casale AS, Hutchins GM, Shapiro EP. Coronary involvement in Cogan's syndrome. Am Heart J 1992; 123:528.
- Allen NB, Cox CC, Cobo M, et al. Use of immunosuppressive agents in the treatment of severe ocular and vascular manifestations of Cogan's syndrome. Am J Med 1990; 88:296.
- Gelfand ML, Kantor T, Gorstein F. Cogan's syndrome with cardiovascular involvement: aortic insufficiency. Bull N Y Acad Med 1972; 48:647.
- EISENSTEIN B, TAUBENHAUS M. Nonsyphilitic interstitial keratitis and bilateral deafness (Cogan's syndrome) associated with cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med 1958; 258:1074.
- Pinals RS. Cogan's syndrome with arthritis and aortic insufficiency. J Rheumatol 1978; 5:294.
- Lunardi C, Bason C, Leandri M, et al. Autoantibodies to inner ear and endothelial antigens in Cogan's syndrome. Lancet 2002; 360:915.
- Berti E, Vannucci G, Lunardi C, et al. Identification of autoantibodies against inner ear antigens in a cohort of children with idiopathic sensorineural hearing loss. Autoimmunity 2013; 46:525.
- McCallum RM, Allen NB, Cobo LM, et al. Cogan's syndrome: Clinical features and outcomes (abstract). Arthritis Rheum 1992; 35(suppl):S51.
- Gluth MB, Baratz KH, Matteson EL, Driscoll CL. Cogan syndrome: a retrospective review of 60 patients throughout a half century. Mayo Clin Proc 2006; 81:483.
- Bonaguri C, Orsoni J, Russo A, et al. Cogan's syndrome: anti-Hsp70 antibodies are a serological marker in the typical form. Isr Med Assoc J 2014; 16:285.
- Podder S, Shepherd RC. Cogan's syndrome: a rare systemic vasculitis. Arch Dis Child 1994; 71:163.
- Fidler H, Jones NS. Late onset Cogan's syndrome. J Laryngol Otol 1989; 103:512.
- Kasapçopur O, Ashraf M, Caliskan S, et al. Cogan's syndrome: a rare vasculitis in childhood. J Rheumatol 2000; 27:1824.
- Cobo LM, Haynes BF. Early corneal findings in Cogan's syndrome. Ophthalmology 1984; 91:903.
- Cogan DG, Kuwabara T. Late corneal opacities in the syndrome of interstitial keratitis and vestibulo-auditory symptoms. Acta Ophthalmol Suppl 1989; 192:182.
- Shah P, Luqmani RA, Murray PI, et al. Posterior scleritis--an unusual manifestation of Cogan's syndrome. Br J Rheumatol 1994; 33:774.
- Mazlumzadeh M, Matteson EL. Cogan's syndrome: an audiovestibular, ocular, and systemic autoimmune disease. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 2007; 33:855.
- Grasland A, Pouchot J, Hachulla E, et al. Typical and atypical Cogan's syndrome: 32 cases and review of the literature. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2004; 43:1007.
- McCallum RM, Haynes BF. Cogan's syndrome. In: Ocular Infection & Immunity, 1st, Pepose JS, Holland GN, Wilhelmus KR (Eds), Mosby, St. Louis 1996. p.446.
- Hammer M, Witte T, Mügge A, et al. Complicated Cogan's syndrome with aortic insufficiency and coronary stenosis. J Rheumatol 1994; 21:552.
- Cremer J, Laas J, Heublein B. A case of coronary stenosis developing after successful aortic valve repair in Cogan's syndrome. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1993; 41:255.
- Tseng JF, Cambria RP, Aretz HT, Brewster DC. Thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm in Cogan's syndrome. J Vasc Surg 1999; 30:565.
- Raza K, Karokis D, Kitas GD. Cogan's syndrome with Takayasu's arteritis. Br J Rheumatol 1998; 37:369.
- Vella JP, O'Callaghan J, Hickey D, Walshe JJ. Renal artery stenosis complicating Cogan's syndrome. Clin Nephrol 1997; 47:407.
- Vollertsen RS. Vasculitis and Cogan's syndrome. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 1990; 16:433.
- Jacob A, Ledingham JG, Kerr AI, Ford MJ. Ulcerative colitis and giant cell arteritis associated with sensorineural deafness. J Laryngol Otol 1990; 104:889.
- Thomas HG. Case report: clinical and radiological features of Cogan's syndrome--non-syphilitic interstitial keratitis, audiovestibular symptoms and systemic manifestations. Clin Radiol 1992; 45:418.
- Vavricka SR, Greuter T, Scharl M, et al. Cogan's Syndrome in Patients With Inflammatory Bowel Disease--A Case Series. J Crohns Colitis 2015; 9:886.
- McCallum RM. Cogan's syndrome. In: Current Ocular Therapy, 4th, Franunfelder FT, Hampton R (Eds), WB Saunders, Philadelphia 1993. p.410.
- Unizony S, Stone JH, Stone JR. New treatment strategies in large-vessel vasculitis. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2013; 25:3.
- Koster MJ, Matteson EL, Warrington KJ. Recent advances in the clinical management of giant cell arteritis and Takayasu arteritis. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2016; 28:211.
- Shibuya M, Fujio K, Morita K, et al. Successful treatment with tocilizumab in a case of Cogan's syndrome complicated with aortitis. Mod Rheumatol 2013; 23:577.
- Darougar S, John AC, Viswalingam M, et al. Isolation of Chlamydia psittaci from a patient with interstitial keratitis and uveitis associated with otological and cardiovascular lesions. Br J Ophthalmol 1978; 62:709.
- Chandler RD. Inclusion conjunctivitis (paratrachoma, chlamydia). In: Current Ocular Therapy, 4th, Fraunfelder FT, Roy FH, Grove J (Eds), WB Saunders, Philadelphia 1995. p.59.
- Vallet H, Seve P, Biard L, et al. Infliximab Versus Adalimumab in the Treatment of Refractory Inflammatory Uveitis: A Multicenter Study From the French Uveitis Network. Arthritis Rheumatol 2016; 68:1522.
- Dev S, McCallum RM, Jaffe GJ. Methotrexate treatment for sarcoid-associated panuveitis. Ophthalmology 1999; 106:111.
- Meikle AW, Tyler FH. Potency and duration of action of glucocorticoids. Effects of hydrocortisone, prednisone and dexamethasone on human pituitary-adrenal function. Am J Med 1977; 63:200.
- Haynes DS, O'Malley M, Cohen S, et al. Intratympanic dexamethasone for sudden sensorineural hearing loss after failure of systemic therapy. Laryngoscope 2007; 117:3.
- Riente L, Taglione E, Berrettini S. Efficacy of methotrexate in Cogan's syndrome. J Rheumatol 1996; 23:1830.
- Pouchot J, Vinceneux P, Bouccara D, et al. Methotrexate as a steroid-sparing agent in Cogan's syndrome: comment on the concise communication by Richardson. Arthritis Rheum 1995; 38:1348.
- Roat MI, Thoft RA, Thomson AW, et al. Treatment of Cogan's syndrome with FK 506: a case report. Transplant Proc 1991; 23:3347.
- Matteson EL, Tirzaman O, Facer GW, et al. Use of methotrexate for autoimmune hearing loss. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2000; 109:710.
- Xie L, Cai Y, Bao X, Cao L. Leflunomide for the successful management of juvenile Cogan's syndrome. Clin Rheumatol 2009; 28:1453.
- Hautefort C, Loundon N, Montchilova M, et al. Mycophenolate mofetil as a treatment of steroid dependent Cogan's syndrome in childhood. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2009; 73:1477.
- Tayer-Shifman OE, Ilan O, Tovi H, Tal Y. Cogan's syndrome--clinical guidelines and novel therapeutic approaches. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2014; 47:65.
- Peters BR, Wyss J, Manrique M. Worldwide trends in bilateral cochlear implantation. Laryngoscope 2010; 120 Suppl 2:S17.
- Wang JR, Yuen HW, Shipp DB, et al. Cochlear implantation in patients with autoimmune inner ear disease including cogan syndrome: a comparison with age- and sex-matched controls. Laryngoscope 2010; 120:2478.
- Bacciu A, Pasanisi E, Di Lella F, et al. Cochlear implantation in patients with Cogan syndrome: long-term results. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2015; 272:3201.
- Coelho DH, Lalwani AK. Medical management of Ménière's disease. Laryngoscope 2008; 118:1099.
- CLINICAL FEATURES
- Ocular disease
- Inner ear disease
- Systemic vasculitis
- Other findings
- DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS
- Systemic vasculitis
- Ocular disease
- - Anterior ocular inflammation
- - Posterior ocular inflammation
- Inner ear disease
- Vestibular dysfunction
- SOCIETY GUIDELINE LINKS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS