Classification and prognosis of pulmonary hypertension in adults
- Lewis J Rubin, MD
Lewis J Rubin, MD
- Adjunct Professor of Medicine
- College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University
- William Hopkins, MD
William Hopkins, MD
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- University of Vermont College of Medicine
Pulmonary hypertension (PH) is defined as an elevated mean arterial pressure ≥25 mmHg at rest [1,2]. PH has several etiologies and can be a progressive, fatal disease, if untreated.
The classification and prognosis of PH are reviewed here. The epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical features, diagnostic evaluation, and treatment of PH are discussed separately. (See "The epidemiology and pathogenesis of pulmonary arterial hypertension (Group 1)" and "Clinical features and diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension in adults" and "Treatment of pulmonary hypertension in adults".)
●Group 1 – Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)
●Group 2 – PH due to left heart diseaseTo continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Rich S (ed). Executive summary from the World Symposium on Primary Pulmonary Hypertension, Evian, France, September 6-10, 1998, co-sponsored by The World Health Organization.
- Simonneau G, Gatzoulis MA, Adatia I, et al. Updated clinical classification of pulmonary hypertension. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013; 62:D34.
- Friedman SE, Andrus BW. Obesity and pulmonary hypertension: a review of pathophysiologic mechanisms. J Obes 2012; 2012:505274.
- Dela Cruz CS, Matthay RA. Role of obesity in cardiomyopathy and pulmonary hypertension. Clin Chest Med 2009; 30:509.
- European Respiratory Monograph 57: Pulmonary Hypertension, Humbert M, Hoeper MM (Eds), European Respiratory Society, 2012. Vol 57, p.194-207.
- Enriquez-Sarano M, Rossi A, Seward JB, et al. Determinants of pulmonary hypertension in left ventricular dysfunction. J Am Coll Cardiol 1997; 29:153.
- Vachiéry JL, Adir Y, Barberà JA, et al. Pulmonary hypertension due to left heart diseases. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013; 62:D100.
- Abramson SV, Burke JF, Kelly JJ Jr, et al. Pulmonary hypertension predicts mortality and morbidity in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy. Ann Intern Med 1992; 116:888.
- Shah RV, Semigran MJ. Pulmonary hypertension secondary to left ventricular systolic dysfunction: contemporary diagnosis and management. Curr Heart Fail Rep 2008; 5:226.
- Miller WL, Grill DE, Borlaug BA. Clinical features, hemodynamics, and outcomes of pulmonary hypertension due to chronic heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: pulmonary hypertension and heart failure. JACC Heart Fail 2013; 1:290.
- Lam CS, Roger VL, Rodeheffer RJ, et al. Pulmonary hypertension in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction: a community-based study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 53:1119.
- Adir Y, Humbert M, Sitbon O, et al. Out-of-proportion pulmonary hypertension and heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Respiration 2013; 85:471.
- Alexopoulos D, Lazzam C, Borrico S, et al. Isolated chronic mitral regurgitation with preserved systolic left ventricular function and severe pulmonary hypertension. J Am Coll Cardiol 1989; 14:319.
- Hyduk A, Croft JB, Ayala C, et al. Pulmonary hypertension surveillance--United States, 1980-2002. MMWR Surveill Summ 2005; 54:1.
- Gall H, Felix JF, Schneck FK, et al. The Giessen Pulmonary Hypertension Registry: Survival in pulmonary hypertension subgroups. J Heart Lung Transplant 2017; 36:957.
- Benza RL, Miller DP, Barst RJ, et al. An evaluation of long-term survival from time of diagnosis in pulmonary arterial hypertension from the REVEAL Registry. Chest 2012; 142:448.
- Benza RL, Gomberg-Maitland M, Miller DP, et al. The REVEAL Registry risk score calculator in patients newly diagnosed with pulmonary arterial hypertension. Chest 2012; 141:354.
- Sitbon O, Benza RL, Badesch DB, et al. Validation of two predictive models for survival in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Eur Respir J 2015; 46:152.
- Hoeper MM, Kramer T, Pan Z, et al. Mortality in pulmonary arterial hypertension: prediction by the 2015 European pulmonary hypertension guidelines risk stratification model. Eur Respir J 2017; 50.
- Hopkins WE, Ochoa LL, Richardson GW, Trulock EP. Comparison of the hemodynamics and survival of adults with severe primary pulmonary hypertension or Eisenmenger syndrome. J Heart Lung Transplant 1996; 15:100.
- Hopkins WE. The remarkable right ventricle of patients with Eisenmenger syndrome. Coron Artery Dis 2005; 16:19.
- D'Alonzo GE, Barst RJ, Ayres SM, et al. Survival in patients with primary pulmonary hypertension. Results from a national prospective registry. Ann Intern Med 1991; 115:343.
- Galiè N, Manes A, Negro L, et al. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Eur Heart J 2009; 30:394.
- Rich S. The value of approved therapies for pulmonary arterial hypertension. Am Heart J 2007; 153:889.
- Sitbon O, Humbert M, Nunes H, et al. Long-term intravenous epoprostenol infusion in primary pulmonary hypertension: prognostic factors and survival. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002; 40:780.
- Kuhn KP, Byrne DW, Arbogast PG, et al. Outcome in 91 consecutive patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension receiving epoprostenol. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2003; 167:580.
- Raymond RJ, Hinderliter AL, Willis PW, et al. Echocardiographic predictors of adverse outcomes in primary pulmonary hypertension. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002; 39:1214.
- Mahapatra S, Nishimura RA, Sorajja P, et al. Relationship of pulmonary arterial capacitance and mortality in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006; 47:799.
- Fijalkowska A, Kurzyna M, Torbicki A, et al. Serum N-terminal brain natriuretic peptide as a prognostic parameter in patients with pulmonary hypertension. Chest 2006; 129:1313.
- Hoeper MM, Pletz MW, Golpon H, Welte T. Prognostic value of blood gas analyses in patients with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension. Eur Respir J 2007; 29:944.
- Benza RL, Miller DP, Gomberg-Maitland M, et al. Predicting survival in pulmonary arterial hypertension: insights from the Registry to Evaluate Early and Long-Term Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Disease Management (REVEAL). Circulation 2010; 122:164.
- Sun PY, Jiang X, Gomberg-Maitland M, et al. Prolonged QRS duration: a new predictor of adverse outcome in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension. Chest 2012; 141:374.
- Barst RJ, Chung L, Zamanian RT, et al. Functional class improvement and 3-year survival outcomes in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension in the REVEAL Registry. Chest 2013; 144:160.
- Poms AD, Turner M, Farber HW, et al. Comorbid conditions and outcomes in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension: a REVEAL registry analysis. Chest 2013; 144:169.
- Sadoughi A, Roberts KE, Preston IR, et al. Use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and outcomes in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Chest 2013; 144:531.
- Grünig E, Tiede H, Enyimayew EO, et al. Assessment and prognostic relevance of right ventricular contractile reserve in patients with severe pulmonary hypertension. Circulation 2013; 128:2005.
- Fenstad ER, Le RJ, Sinak LJ, et al. Pericardial effusions in pulmonary arterial hypertension: characteristics, prognosis, and role of drainage. Chest 2013; 144:1530.
- Wen L, Sun ML, An P, et al. Frequency of supraventricular arrhythmias in patients with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension. Am J Cardiol 2014; 114:1420.
- Courand PY, Pina Jomir G, Khouatra C, et al. Prognostic value of right ventricular ejection fraction in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Eur Respir J 2015; 45:139.
- Austin C, Alassas K, Burger C, et al. Echocardiographic assessment of estimated right atrial pressure and size predicts mortality in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Chest 2015; 147:198.
- Al-Naamani N, Palevsky HI, Lederer DJ, et al. Prognostic Significance of Biomarkers in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Ann Am Thorac Soc 2016; 13:25.
- Evans JD, Girerd B, Montani D, et al. BMPR2 mutations and survival in pulmonary arterial hypertension: an individual participant data meta-analysis. Lancet Respir Med 2016; 4:129.
- Badagliacca R, Papa S, Valli G, et al. Echocardiography Combined With Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing for the Prediction of Outcome in Idiopathic Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Chest 2016; 150:1313.
- Batal O, Khatib OF, Dweik RA, et al. Comparison of baseline predictors of prognosis in pulmonary arterial hypertension in patients surviving ≤2 years and those surviving ≥5 years after baseline right-sided cardiac catheterization. Am J Cardiol 2012; 109:1514.
- Nickel N, Golpon H, Greer M, et al. The prognostic impact of follow-up assessments in patients with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension. Eur Respir J 2012; 39:589.
- Shapiro S, Traiger GL, Turner M, et al. Sex differences in the diagnosis, treatment, and outcome of patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension enrolled in the registry to evaluate early and long-term pulmonary arterial hypertension disease management. Chest 2012; 141:363.
- McLaughlin VV, Shillington A, Rich S. Survival in primary pulmonary hypertension: the impact of epoprostenol therapy. Circulation 2002; 106:1477.
- Ventetuolo CE, Praestgaard A, Palevsky HI, et al. Sex and haemodynamics in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Eur Respir J 2014; 43:523.
- Jacobs W, van de Veerdonk MC, Trip P, et al. The right ventricle explains sex differences in survival in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension. Chest 2014; 145:1230.
- Ling Y, Johnson MK, Kiely DG, et al. Changing demographics, epidemiology, and survival of incident pulmonary arterial hypertension: results from the pulmonary hypertension registry of the United Kingdom and Ireland. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2012; 186:790.
- Yang J, Nies MK, Fu Z, et al. Hepatoma-derived Growth Factor Predicts Disease Severity and Survival in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2016; 194:1264.
- Hoeper MM, Galié N, Murali S, et al. Outcome after cardiopulmonary resuscitation in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002; 165:341.
- Tonelli AR, Arelli V, Minai OA, et al. Causes and circumstances of death in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013; 188:365.
- Delcroix M, Naeije R. Optimising the management of pulmonary arterial hypertension patients: emergency treatments. Eur Respir Rev 2010; 19:204.
- Group 1 pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)
- Group 2 PH (left heart disease)
- Group 3 PH (lung disease)
- Group 4 PH (thromboembolic disease)
- Group 5 PH (multifactorial)
- NATURAL HISTORY AND PROGNOSIS
- Group 1 PAH
- - Prognosis without therapy
- - Effect of treatment
- - Prognostic factors
- - Cause of death
- Groups 2 to 5
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS