- Arnold S Freedman, MD
Arnold S Freedman, MD
- Section Editor — Lymphoproliferative Disorders
- Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Jonathan W Friedberg, MD
Jonathan W Friedberg, MD
- Professor of Medicine
- James P Wilmot Cancer Center, University of Rochester
Primary lymphoma of the breast is extremely rare, accounting for 0.04 to 0.5 percent of all breast malignancies and approximately 1 to 2 percent of all extranodal lymphomas [1-4]. On the other hand, secondary involvement of the breast with lymphomas is not uncommon.
The clinical features, therapy, and prognosis of primary breast lymphoma are presented here; epithelial breast cancer and lymphoma in general are discussed separately.
●(See "Pathology of breast cancer".)To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Barişta I, Baltali E, Tekuzman G, et al. Primary breast lymphomas--a retrospective analysis of twelve cases. Acta Oncol 2000; 39:135.
- Giardini R, Piccolo C, Rilke F. Primary non-Hodgkin's lymphomas of the female breast. Cancer 1992; 69:725.
- Brogi E, Harris NL. Lymphomas of the breast: pathology and clinical behavior. Semin Oncol 1999; 26:357.
- Julen O, Dellacasa I, Pelte MF, et al. Primary breast lymphomas. Rare Tumors 2009; 1:e14.
- Domchek SM, Hecht JL, Fleming MD, et al. Lymphomas of the breast: primary and secondary involvement. Cancer 2002; 94:6.
- Schouten JT, Weese JL, Carbone PP. Lymphoma of the breast. Ann Surg 1981; 194:749.
- Wiseman C, Liao KT. Primary lymphoma of the breast. Cancer 1972; 29:1705.
- Bobrow LG, Richards MA, Happerfield LC, et al. Breast lymphomas: a clinicopathologic review. Hum Pathol 1993; 24:274.
- Hugh JC, Jackson FI, Hanson J, Poppema S. Primary breast lymphoma. An immunohistologic study of 20 new cases. Cancer 1990; 66:2602.
- Dixon JM, Lumsden AB, Krajewski A, et al. Primary lymphoma of the breast. Br J Surg 1987; 74:214.
- Aozasa K, Ohsawa M, Saeki K, et al. Malignant lymphoma of the breast. Immunologic type and association with lymphocytic mastopathy. Am J Clin Pathol 1992; 97:699.
- Strobbe LJ, Peterse HL, van Tinteren H, et al. Angiosarcoma of the breast after conservation therapy for invasive cancer, the incidence and outcome. An unforseen sequela. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1998; 47:101.
- Topalovski M, Crisan D, Mattson JC. Lymphoma of the breast. A clinicopathologic study of primary and secondary cases. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1999; 123:1208.
- Kraemer DM, Weissinger F, Reimer P, et al. Female patient with a history of Hashimoto's thyroiditis, diagnosed with MALT lymphoma of both breasts. Onkologie 2003; 26:277.
- Farinha P, André S, Cabeçadas J, Soares J. High frequency of MALT lymphoma in a series of 14 cases of primary breast lymphoma. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 2002; 10:115.
- Zinzani PL, Magagnoli M, Galieni P, et al. Nongastrointestinal low-grade mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma: analysis of 75 patients. J Clin Oncol 1999; 17:1254.
- Mattia AR, Ferry JA, Harris NL. Breast lymphoma. A B-cell spectrum including the low grade B-cell lymphoma of mucosa associated lymphoid tissue. Am J Surg Pathol 1993; 17:574.
- Martinelli G, Ryan G, Seymour JF, et al. Primary follicular and marginal-zone lymphoma of the breast: clinical features, prognostic factors and outcome: a study by the International Extranodal Lymphoma Study Group. Ann Oncol 2009; 20:1993.
- Aguilera NS, Tavassoli FA, Chu WS, Abbondanzo SL. T-cell lymphoma presenting in the breast: a histologic, immunophenotypic and molecular genetic study of four cases. Mod Pathol 2000; 13:599.
- de Jong D, Vasmel WL, de Boer JP, et al. Anaplastic large-cell lymphoma in women with breast implants. JAMA 2008; 300:2030.
- Gaudet G, Friedberg JW, Weng A, et al. Breast lymphoma associated with breast implants: two case-reports and a review of the literature. Leuk Lymphoma 2002; 43:115.
- Roden AC, Macon WR, Keeney GL, et al. Seroma-associated primary anaplastic large-cell lymphoma adjacent to breast implants: an indolent T-cell lymphoproliferative disorder. Mod Pathol 2008; 21:455.
- Fritzsche FR, Pahl S, Petersen I, et al. Anaplastic large-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the breast in periprosthetic localisation 32 years after treatment for primary breast cancer--a case report. Virchows Arch 2006; 449:561.
- Wong AK, Lopategui J, Clancy S, et al. Anaplastic large cell lymphoma associated with a breast implant capsule: a case report and review of the literature. Am J Surg Pathol 2008; 32:1265.
- Olack B, Gupta R, Brooks GS. Anaplastic large cell lymphoma arising in a saline breast implant capsule after tissue expander breast reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg 2007; 59:56.
- Newman MK, Zemmel NJ, Bandak AZ, Kaplan BJ. Primary breast lymphoma in a patient with silicone breast implants: a case report and review of the literature. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2008; 61:822.
- Lechner MG, Lade S, Liebertz DJ, et al. Breast implant-associated, ALK-negative, T-cell, anaplastic, large-cell lymphoma: establishment and characterization of a model cell line (TLBR-1) for this newly emerging clinical entity. Cancer 2011; 117:1478.
- Story SK, Schowalter MK, Geskin LJ. Breast implant-associated ALCL: a unique entity in the spectrum of CD30+ lymphoproliferative disorders. Oncologist 2013; 18:301.
- Mori K, Inoue Y, Nishi T, et al. Primary Malignant Lymphoma of the Breast: Mammographic and Ultrasonographic Findings. Breast Cancer 1998; 5:93.
- World Health Organization Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues, Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, et al. (Eds), IARC Press, Lyon 2008.
- Tumors of the Breast and Female Genital Organs, Tavassoli FA, Devilee P (Eds), IARC Press, Lyon 2008.
- Talwalkar SS, Miranda RN, Valbuena JR, et al. Lymphomas involving the breast: a study of 106 cases comparing localized and disseminated neoplasms. Am J Surg Pathol 2008; 32:1299.
- Loughrey MB, Windrum P, Catherwood MA, et al. WHO reclassification of breast lymphomas. J Clin Pathol 2004; 57:1213.
- Miranda RN, Aladily TN, Prince HM, et al. Breast implant-associated anaplastic large-cell lymphoma: long-term follow-up of 60 patients. J Clin Oncol 2014; 32:114.
- Clemens MW, Medeiros LJ, Butler CE, et al. Complete Surgical Excision Is Essential for the Management of Patients With Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large-Cell Lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2016; 34:160.
- Jennings WC, Baker RS, Murray SS, et al. Primary breast lymphoma: the role of mastectomy and the importance of lymph node status. Ann Surg 2007; 245:784.
- Avilés A, Delgado S, Nambo MJ, et al. Primary breast lymphoma: results of a controlled clinical trial. Oncology 2005; 69:256.
- Ryan GF, Roos DR, Seymour JF. Primary non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the breast: retrospective analysis of prognosis and patterns of failure in two Australian centers. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma 2006; 6:337.
- Wong WW, Schild SE, Halyard MY, Schomberg PJ. Primary non-Hodgkin lymphoma of the breast: The Mayo Clinic Experience. J Surg Oncol 2002; 80:19.
- Gholam D, Bibeau F, El Weshi A, et al. Primary breast lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma 2003; 44:1173.
- Yhim HY, Kim JS, Kang HJ, et al. Matched-pair analysis comparing the outcomes of primary breast and nodal diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in patients treated with rituximab plus chemotherapy. Int J Cancer 2012; 131:235.
- Caon J, Wai ES, Hart J, et al. Treatment and outcomes of primary breast lymphoma. Clin Breast Cancer 2012; 12:412.