- Louis-Michel Wong Kee Song, MD, FRCP(C)
Louis-Michel Wong Kee Song, MD, FRCP(C)
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Norman E Marcon, MD, FRCP(C)
Norman E Marcon, MD, FRCP(C)
- Professor of Medicine
- University of Toronto
Appendiceal mucoceles are rare and are characterized by a distended, mucus-filled appendix. The course and prognosis of appendiceal mucoceles relate to their histologic subtypes.
This topic will review the epidemiology, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and management of appendiceal mucoceles. Other causes of ileocecal lesions including tuberculosis, typhlitis, actinomycosis, carcinoid, and lesions due to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are discussed separately. (See "Tuberculous enteritis" and "Neutropenic enterocolitis (typhlitis)" and "Abdominal actinomycosis" and "Clinical characteristics of carcinoid tumors" and "NSAIDs: Adverse effects on the distal small bowel and colon".)
DEFINITION AND HISTOLOGIC SUBTYPES
An appendiceal mucocele refers to any lesion that is characterized by a distended, mucus-filled appendix. Mucoceles may be due to non-neoplastic or neoplastic lesions.
Appendiceal mucoceles can be classified into the following histologic subtypes:
●Mucosal hyperplasia is histologically similar to a hyperplastic colon polyp.
- Aho AJ, Heinonen R, Laurén P. Benign and malignant mucocele of the appendix. Histological types and prognosis. Acta Chir Scand 1973; 139:392.
- Higa E, Rosai J, Pizzimbono CA, Wise L. Mucosal hyperplasia, mucinous cystadenoma, and mucinous cystadenocarcinoma of the appendix. A re-evaluation of appendiceal "mucocele". Cancer 1973; 32:1525.
- Landen S, Bertrand C, Maddern GJ, et al. Appendiceal mucoceles and pseudomyxoma peritonei. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1992; 175:401.
- Qizilbash AH. Mucoceles of the appendix. Their relationship to hyperplastic polyps, mucinous cystadenomas, and cystadenocarcinomas. Arch Pathol 1975; 99:548.
- Isaacs KL, Warshauer DM. Mucocele of the appendix: computed tomographic, endoscopic, and pathologic correlation. Am J Gastroenterol 1992; 87:787.
- Hamilton DL, Stormont JM. The volcano sign of appendiceal mucocele. Gastrointest Endosc 1989; 35:453.
- Raijman I, Leong S, Hassaram S, Marcon NE. Appendiceal mucocele: endoscopic appearance. Endoscopy 1994; 26:326.
- Mizuma N, Kabemura T, Akahoshi K, et al. Endosonographic features of mucocele of the appendix: report of a case. Gastrointest Endosc 1997; 46:549.
- Mourad FH, Hussein M, Bahlawan M, et al. Intestinal obstruction secondary to appendiceal mucocele. Dig Dis Sci 1999; 44:1594.
- Smeenk RM, van Velthuysen ML, Verwaal VJ, Zoetmulder FA. Appendiceal neoplasms and pseudomyxoma peritonei: a population based study. Eur J Surg Oncol 2008; 34:196.
- Scaffa C, Di Bella O, Tartaglia E, et al. Surgical approach to appendiceal mucocele mimicking an adnexal complex mass: case report. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 2007; 28:503.
- McFarlane ME, Plummer JM, Bonadie K. Mucinous cystadenoma of the appendix presenting with an elevated carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA): Report of two cases and review of the literature. Int J Surg Case Rep 2013; 4:886.
- Madwed D, Mindelzun R, Jeffrey RB Jr. Mucocele of the appendix: imaging findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1992; 159:69.
- Kim SH, Lim HK, Lee WJ, et al. Mucocele of the appendix: ultrasonographic and CT findings. Abdom Imaging 1998; 23:292.
- Wang H, Chen YQ, Wei R, et al. Appendiceal mucocele: A diagnostic dilemma in differentiating malignant from benign lesions with CT. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2013; 201:W590.
- Zissin R, Gayer G, Kots E, et al. Imaging of mucocoele of the appendix with emphasis on the CT findings: a report of 10 cases. Clin Radiol 1999; 54:826.
- Zanati SA, Martin JA, Baker JP, et al. Colonoscopic diagnosis of mucocele of the appendix. Gastrointest Endosc 2005; 62:452.
- Nakagawa T. Colonoscopic diagnosis of mucocele of the appendix. Gastrointest Endosc 1993; 39:733.
- Uradomo LT, Darwin PE. Evaluation of subepithelial abnormalities of the appendix by endoscopic ultrasound. Diagn Ther Endosc 2009; 2009:295379.
- Bennett GL, Tanpitukpongse TP, Macari M, et al. CT diagnosis of mucocele of the appendix in patients with acute appendicitis. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2009; 192:W103.
- Stocchi L, Wolff BG, Larson DR, Harrington JR. Surgical treatment of appendiceal mucocele. Arch Surg 2003; 138:585.
- Nitecki SS, Wolff BG, Schlinkert R, Sarr MG. The natural history of surgically treated primary adenocarcinoma of the appendix. Ann Surg 1994; 219:51.
- Rutledge RH, Alexander JW. Primary appendiceal malignancies: rare but important. Surgery 1992; 111:244.
- Lo NS, Sarr MG. Mucinous cystadenocarcinoma of the appendix. The controversy persists: a review. Hepatogastroenterology 2003; 50:432.
- Soweid AM, Clarkston WK, Andrus CH, Janney CG. Diagnosis and management of appendiceal mucoceles. Dig Dis 1998; 16:183.
- Demetrashvili Z, Chkhaidze M, Khutsishvili K, et al. Mucocele of the appendix: case report and review of literature. Int Surg 2012; 97:266.
- Miraliakbari R, Chapman WH 3rd. Laparoscopic treatment of an appendiceal mucocele. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 1999; 9:159.
- Kalogiannidis I, Mavrona A, Grammenou S, et al. Endometrial adenocarcinoma and mucocele of the appendix: an unusual coexistence. Case Rep Obstet Gynecol 2013; 2013:892378.
- Fujiwara T, Hizuta A, Iwagaki H, et al. Appendiceal mucocele with concomitant colonic cancer. Report of two cases. Dis Colon Rectum 1996; 39:232.
- Zissin R, Gayer G, Fishman A, et al. Synchronous mucinous tumors of the ovary and the appendix associated with pseudomyxoma peritonei: CT findings. Abdom Imaging 2000; 25:311.
- Sitzmann JV, Wiebke EA. Risk-reducing appendectomy and the elimination of BRCA1-associated intraperitoneal cancer. JAMA Surg 2013; 148:285.
- Wolff M, Ahmed N. Epithelial neoplasms of the vermiform appendix (exclusive of carcinoid). II. Cystadenomas, papillary adenomas, and adenomatous polyps of the appendix. Cancer 1976; 37:2511.
- DEFINITION AND HISTOLOGIC SUBTYPES
- CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS
- Clinical features
- Laboratory findings
- Diagnostic evaluation
- DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS
- - Exclusion of a concurrent malignancy
- Post-treatment surveillance
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS