Acute mastoiditis in children: Treatment and prevention
- Ellen R Wald, MD
Ellen R Wald, MD
- Professor of Pediatrics
- University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- Section Editors
- Sheldon L Kaplan, MD
Sheldon L Kaplan, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Pediatrics
- Section Editor — Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Professor and Vice Chairman for Clinical Affairs
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Anna H Messner, MD
Anna H Messner, MD
- Section Editor — Pediatric Otolaryngology
- Professor of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery and Pediatrics
- Stanford University
The treatment and prevention of acute mastoiditis in children are discussed below. The clinical features and diagnosis of acute mastoiditis are discussed separately. (See "Acute mastoiditis in children: Clinical features and diagnosis".)
AOM is also discussed separately. (See "Acute otitis media in children: Epidemiology, microbiology, clinical manifestations, and complications" and "Acute otitis media in children: Diagnosis" and "Acute otitis media in children: Treatment".)
●Mastoiditis is a suppurative infection of the mastoid air cells.
●Acute mastoiditis is a suppurative infection of the mastoid air cells with symptoms of less than one month's duration. Acute mastoiditis is subdivided according to the pathologic stage (see "Acute mastoiditis in children: Clinical features and diagnosis", section on 'Pathogenesis') :To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Bluestone CD, Klein JO. Intratemporal complications and sequelae of otitis media. In: Pediatric otolaryngology, 4th ed, Bluestone CD, Casselbrant ML, Stool SE, et al (Eds), Saunders, Philadelphia 2003. p.687.
- Bahadori RS, Schwartz RH, Ziai M. Acute mastoiditis in children: an increase in frequency in Northern Virginia. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2000; 19:212.
- Geva A, Oestreicher-Kedem Y, Fishman G, et al. Conservative management of acute mastoiditis in children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2008; 72:629.
- Pang LH, Barakate MS, Havas TE. Mastoiditis in a paediatric population: a review of 11 years experience in management. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2009; 73:1520.
- Holt GR, Gates GA. Masked mastoiditis. Laryngoscope 1983; 93:1034.
- Cherry JD, Calzada AP, Shapiro NL. Mastoiditis. In: Feigin and Cherry’s Textbook of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, 7th ed, Cherry JD, Harrison GJ, Kaplan SL, et al (Eds), Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia 2014. p.233.
- Halgrimson WR, Chan KH, Abzug MJ, et al. Incidence of acute mastoiditis in Colorado children in the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine era. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2014; 33:453.
- Tamir SO, Roth Y, Dalal I, et al. Acute mastoiditis in the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine era. Clin Vaccine Immunol 2014; 21:1189.
- Luntz M, Brodsky A, Nusem S, et al. Acute mastoiditis--the antibiotic era: a multicenter study. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2001; 57:1.
- Nussinovitch M, Yoeli R, Elishkevitz K, Varsano I. Acute mastoiditis in children: epidemiologic, clinical, microbiologic, and therapeutic aspects over past years. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2004; 43:261.
- Lin HW, Shargorodsky J, Gopen Q. Clinical strategies for the management of acute mastoiditis in the pediatric population. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2010; 49:110.
- Goldstein NA, Casselbrant ML, Bluestone CD, Kurs-Lasky M. Intratemporal complications of acute otitis media in infants and children. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1998; 119:444.
- Tamir S, Schwartz Y, Peleg U, et al. Acute mastoiditis in children: is computed tomography always necessary? Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2009; 118:565.
- Spratley J, Silveira H, Alvarez I, Pais-Clemente M. Acute mastoiditis in children: review of the current status. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2000; 56:33.
- Cohen-Kerem R, Uri N, Rennert H, et al. Acute mastoiditis in children: is surgical treatment necessary? J Laryngol Otol 1999; 113:1081.
- Kvestad E, Kvaerner KJ, Mair IW. Acute mastoiditis: predictors for surgery. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2000; 52:149.
- Bakhos D, Trijolet JP, Morinière S, et al. Conservative management of acute mastoiditis in children. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2011; 137:346.
- Davison SP, Facer GW, McGough PF, et al. Use of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance angiography in diagnosis of sigmoid sinus thrombosis. Ear Nose Throat J 1997; 76:436.
- Anderson KJ. Mastoiditis. Pediatr Rev 2009; 30:233.
- Niv A, Nash M, Peiser J, et al. Outpatient management of acute mastoiditis with periosteitis in children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 1998; 46:9.
- Taylor MF, Berkowitz RG. Indications for mastoidectomy in acute mastoiditis in children. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2004; 113:69.
- Lahav J, Handzel O, Gertler R, et al. Postauricular needle aspiration of subperiosteal abscess in acute mastoiditis. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2005; 114:323.
- Marchisio P, Bianchini S, Villani A, et al. Diagnosis and management of acute mastoiditis in a cohort of Italian children. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2014; 12:1541.
- Groth A, Enoksson F, Hultcrantz M, et al. Acute mastoiditis in children aged 0-16 years--a national study of 678 cases in Sweden comparing different age groups. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 76:1494.
- Gorphe P, de Barros A, Choussy O, et al. Acute mastoiditis in children: 10 years experience in a French tertiary university referral center. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 269:455.
- Psarommatis IM, Voudouris C, Douros K, et al. Algorithmic management of pediatric acute mastoiditis. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 76:791.
- Zanetti D, Nassif N. Indications for surgery in acute mastoiditis and their complications in children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2006; 70:1175.
- Thompson PL, Gilbert RE, Long PF, et al. Effect of antibiotics for otitis media on mastoiditis in children: a retrospective cohort study using the United kingdom general practice research database. Pediatrics 2009; 123:424.
- van den Aardweg MT, Rovers MM, de Ru JA, et al. A systematic review of diagnostic criteria for acute mastoiditis in children. Otol Neurotol 2008; 29:751.
- Mustafa A, Debry Ch, Wiorowski M, et al. Treatment of acute mastoiditis: report of 31 cases over a ten year period. Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord) 2004; 125:165.