Acute complications during hemodialysis
- Jean L Holley, MD, FACP
Jean L Holley, MD, FACP
- Clinical Professor of Medicine
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Acute complications commonly occur during routine hemodialysis treatments. They include the following :
●Hypotension – 25 to 55 percent of treatments
●Cramps – 5 to 20 percent
●Nausea and vomiting – 5 to 15 percent
●Headache – 5 percentTo continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Bregman H, Daugirdas JT, Ing TS. Complications during hemodialysis. In: Handbook of Dialysis, Dauugirdas JT, Ing TS (Eds), Little, Brown, New York 1994. p.149.
- Dumler F, Stalla K, Mohini R, et al. Clinical experience with short-time hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 1992; 19:49.
- Skroeder NR, Jacobson SH, Lins LE, Kjellstrand CM. Biocompatibility of dialysis membranes is of no importance for objective or subjective symptoms during or after hemodialysis. ASAIO Trans 1990; 36:M637.
- Collins DM, Lambert MB, Tannenbaum JS, et al. Tolerance of hemodialysis: a randomized prospective trial of high-flux versus conventional high-efficiency hemodialysis. J Am Soc Nephrol 1993; 4:148.
- Skroeder NR, Jacobson SH, Lins LE, Kjellstrand CM. Acute symptoms during and between hemodialysis: the relative role of speed, duration, and biocompatibility of dialysis. Artif Organs 1994; 18:880.
- Sav MY, Sav T, Senocak E, Sav NM. Hemodialysis-related headache. Hemodial Int 2014; 18:725.
- Milinkovic M, Zidverc-Trajkovic J, Sternic N, et al. Hemodialysis headache. Clin Nephrol 2009; 71:158.
- van Brussel MS, Koppius PW, Schut NH. Headache during hemodialysis - an uncommon cause for a common problem. Clin Nephrol 2008; 69:219.
- Barrett BJ, Vavasour HM, Major A, Parfrey PS. Clinical and psychological correlates of somatic symptoms in patients on dialysis. Nephron 1990; 55:10.
- Guntupalli K, Soffer O, Baciewicz P. Pulmonary embolism in end stage renal disease. Intensive Care Med 1990; 16:405.
- Hombrouckx R, D'Halluin F, Bogaert AM, et al. Fibrin sheet covering subclavian or femoral dialysis catheters. Artif Organs 1994; 18:322.
- Saha M, Allon M. Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention of Hemodialysis Emergencies. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2017; 12:357.
- Sweet SJ, McCarthy S, Steingart R, Callahan T. Hemolytic reactions mechanically induced by kinked hemodialysis lines. Am J Kidney Dis 1996; 27:262.
- Duffy R, Tomashek K, Spangenberg M, et al. Multistate outbreak of hemolysis in hemodialysis patients traced to faulty blood tubing sets. Kidney Int 2000; 57:1668.
- Francos GC, Burke JF Jr, Besarab A, et al. An unsuspected cause of acute hemolysis during hemodialysis. Trans Am Soc Artif Intern Organs 1983; 29:140.
- Aqeel A, Kissner PZ, Sondheimer JH. Air embolism in hemodialysis: An old problem revisited (abstract). J Am Soc Nephrol 1998; 9:165A.
- Wander GS, Sandha GS, Chhabra SC, et al. Holter monitoring in chronic renal failure before & during dialysis. J Assoc Physicians India 1994; 42:290.
- De Lima JJ, Lopes HF, Grupi CJ, et al. Blood pressure influences the occurrence of complex ventricular arrhythmia in hemodialysis patients. Hypertension 1995; 26:1200.
- Saragoça MA, Canziani ME, Cassiolato JL, et al. Left ventricular hypertrophy as a risk factor for arrhythmias in hemodialysis patients. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 1991; 17 Suppl 2:S136.
- Multicentre, cross-sectional study of ventricular arrhythmias in chronically haemodialysed patients. Gruppo Emodialisi e Patologie Cardiovasculari. Lancet 1988; 2:305.
- Munger MA, Ateshkadi A, Cheung AK, et al. Cardiopulmonary events during hemodialysis: effects of dialysis membranes and dialysate buffers. Am J Kidney Dis 2000; 36:130.
- Voroneanu L, Covic A. Arrhythmias in hemodialysis patients. J Nephrol 2009; 22:716.
- Shapira OM, Bar-Khayim Y. ECG changes and cardiac arrhythmias in chronic renal failure patients on hemodialysis. J Electrocardiol 1992; 25:273.
- Verde E, Pérez de Prado A, López-Gómez JM, et al. Asymptomatic Intradialytic Supraventricular Arrhythmias and Adverse Outcomes in Patients on Hemodialysis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2016; 11:2210.
- Morris ST, Galiatsou E, Stewart GA, et al. QT dispersion before and after hemodialysis. J Am Soc Nephrol 1999; 10:160.
- de Lima JJ, Vieira ML, Lopes HF, et al. Blood pressure and the risk of complex arrhythmia in renal insufficiency, hemodialysis, and renal transplant patients. Am J Hypertens 1999; 12:204.
- Narula AS, Jha V, Bali HK, et al. Cardiac arrhythmias and silent myocardial ischemia during hemodialysis. Ren Fail 2000; 22:355.
- Fabbian F, Catalano C, Lambertini D, et al. Clinical characteristics associated to atrial fibrillation in chronic hemodialysis patients. Clin Nephrol 2000; 54:234.
- Karnik JA, Young BS, Lew NL, et al. Cardiac arrest and sudden death in dialysis units. Kidney Int 2001; 60:350.
- Kitano Y, Kasuga H, Watanabe M, et al. Severe coronary stenosis is an important factor for induction and lengthy persistence of ventricular arrhythmias during and after hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 2004; 44:328.
- Jassal SV, Coulshed SJ, Douglas JF, Stout RW. Autonomic neuropathy predisposing to arrhythmias in hemodialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis 1997; 30:219.
- Shurmur SW, D'Elia JA, Gleason RE, et al. Cardiac conduction defects associated with aortic and mitral valve calcification in dialysis patients. Ren Fail 1990; 12:103.
- Locatelli F, Covic A, Chazot C, et al. Optimal composition of the dialysate, with emphasis on its influence on blood pressure. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2004; 19:785.
- Buemi M, Coppolino G, Bolignano D, et al. Arrhythmias and hemodialysis: role of potassium and new diagnostic tools. Ren Fail 2009; 31:75.
- Hou S, McElroy PA, Nootens J, Beach M. Safety and efficacy of low-potassium dialysate. Am J Kidney Dis 1989; 13:137.
- Rombolà G, Colussi G, De Ferrari ME, et al. Cardiac arrhythmias and electrolyte changes during haemodialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1992; 7:318.
- Redaelli B, Locatelli F, Limido D, et al. Effect of a new model of hemodialysis potassium removal on the control of ventricular arrhythmias. Kidney Int 1996; 50:609.
- Abuelo JG. Low dialysate potassium concentration: an overrated risk factor for cardiac arrhythmia? Semin Dial 2015; 28:266.
- Buiten MS, de Bie MK, Rotmans JI, et al. The dialysis procedure as a trigger for atrial fibrillation: new insights in the development of atrial fibrillation in dialysis patients. Heart 2014; 100:685.
- Weiner DE, Nicholls AJ, Sarnak MJ. Cardiovascular disease. In: Handbook of Dialysis, Daugirdas JT, Blake PG, Ing TS (Eds), Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia 2007. p.626.
- Kapa S, Qian Q. 84-year-old woman with hemodialysis-associated shortness of breath. Mayo Clin Proc 2009; 84:187.
- Grebenyuk LA, Marcus RJ, Nahum E, et al. Pulmonary embolism following successful thrombectomy of an arteriovenous dialysis fistula. J Vasc Access 2009; 10:59.