Acquired TTP: Treatment of refractory or relapsed disease
- James N George, MD
James N George, MD
- Professor of Medicine
- University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
- Adam Cuker, MD, MS
Adam Cuker, MD, MS
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, Assistant Professor of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
- Perelman School of Medicine University of Pennsylvania
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) is a thrombotic microangiopathy caused by severely reduced activity of the von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease ADAMTS13. It is characterized by small-vessel platelet-rich thrombi, thrombocytopenia, and microangiopathic hemolytic anemia. In addition, some patients may have neurologic abnormalities, mild renal insufficiency, or low-grade fever.
The use of plasma exchange therapy since the early 1990s has converted TTP from an almost uniformly fatal condition to a treatable disease. However, 30 to 40 percent of patients with TTP will have a transient, incomplete, or no response to treatment with plasma exchange and glucocorticoids (ie, refractory disease). Among patients whose disease goes into remission, another 20 percent will have another acute episode of TTP (ie, relapsed disease). (See 'Terminology' below.)
This topic reviews our approach to the patient with refractory or relapsed acquired autoimmune TTP (TTP caused by an autoantibody to ADAMTS13).
Our approach to the diagnosis of acquired TTP, the initial management of acquired TTP, and the management during remission are presented in detail separately. (See "Acquired TTP: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis" and "Acquired TTP: Initial treatment" and "Acquired TTP: Management following recovery from an acute episode and during remission".)
Separate topic reviews also discuss management of related primary thrombotic microangiopathies:To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Froissart A, Buffet M, Veyradier A, et al. Efficacy and safety of first-line rituximab in severe, acquired thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura with a suboptimal response to plasma exchange. Experience of the French Thrombotic Microangiopathies Reference Center. Crit Care Med 2012; 40:104.
- Vesely SK, George JN, Lämmle B, et al. ADAMTS13 activity in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome: relation to presenting features and clinical outcomes in a prospective cohort of 142 patients. Blood 2003; 102:60.
- Lim W, Vesely SK, George JN. The role of rituximab in the management of patients with acquired thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2015; 125:1526.
- Sayani FA, Abrams CS. How I treat refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2015; 125:3860.
- McClain RS, Terrell DR, Vesely SK, George JN. Plasma exchange complications in patients treated for thrombotic thrombocytopenia purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome: 2011 to 2014. Transfusion 2014; 54:3257.
- Booth KK, Terrell DR, Vesely SK, George JN. Systemic infections mimicking thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Am J Hematol 2011; 86:743.
- Kanj NA, Mikati AR, Kfoury Baz EM. Early relapse of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura during therapeutic plasma exchange associated with Acinetobacter anitratus bacteremia. Ther Apher Dial 2003; 7:119.
- Creager AJ, Brecher ME, Bandarenko N. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura that is refractory to therapeutic plasma exchange in two patients with occult infection. Transfusion 1998; 38:419.
- Niv E, Segev A, Ellis MH. Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia as a cause of early relapse of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Transfusion 2000; 40:1067.
- Cserti CM, Landaw S, Uhl L. Do infections provoke exacerbations and relapses of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura? J Clin Apher 2007; 22:21.
- Douglas KW, Pollock KG, Young D, et al. Infection frequently triggers thrombotic microangiopathy in patients with preexisting risk factors: a single-institution experience. J Clin Apher 2010; 25:47.
- Parekh HD, Reese JA, Cobb PW, George JN. Bone marrow necrosis discovered in a patient with suspected thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Am J Hematol 2015; 90:264.
- George JN. Systemic malignancies as a cause of unexpected microangiopathic hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia. Oncology (Williston Park) 2011; 25:908.
- Wu N, Liu J, Yang S, et al. Diagnostic and prognostic values of ADAMTS13 activity measured during daily plasma exchange therapy in patients with acquired thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Transfusion 2015; 55:18.
- van der Veen BS, Besseling R, Hoogendoorn M. Serial ADAMTS13 measurements during initial plasma exchange therapy guide decisions for management of unresponsive thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Transfusion 2015; 55:2511.
- Nguyen L, Li X, Duvall D, et al. Twice-daily plasma exchange for patients with refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: the experience of the Oklahoma Registry, 1989 through 2006. Transfusion 2008; 48:349.
- Scully M, McDonald V, Cavenagh J, et al. A phase 2 study of the safety and efficacy of rituximab with plasma exchange in acute acquired thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2011; 118:1746.
- Scully M, Cohen H, Cavenagh J, et al. Remission in acute refractory and relapsing thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura following rituximab is associated with a reduction in IgG antibodies to ADAMTS-13. Br J Haematol 2007; 136:451.
- McDonald V, Manns K, Mackie IJ, et al. Rituximab pharmacokinetics during the management of acute idiopathic thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. J Thromb Haemost 2010; 8:1201.
- George JN. Controlling chronic TTP (editorial). Blood 2005; 106:1896.
- Kremer Hovinga JA, Vesely SK, Terrell DR, et al. Survival and relapse in patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2010; 115:1500.
- Fakhouri F, Vernant JP, Veyradier A, et al. Efficiency of curative and prophylactic treatment with rituximab in ADAMTS13-deficient thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: a study of 11 cases. Blood 2005; 106:1932.
- Zheng X, Pallera AM, Goodnough LT, et al. Remission of chronic thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura after treatment with cyclophosphamide and rituximab. Ann Intern Med 2003; 138:105.
- Yomtovian R, Niklinski W, Silver B, et al. Rituximab for chronic recurring thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: a case report and review of the literature. Br J Haematol 2004; 124:787.
- Ahmad A, Aggarwal A, Sharma D, et al. Rituximab for treatment of refractory/relapsing thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP). Am J Hematol 2004; 77:171.
- Galbusera M, Bresin E, Noris M, et al. Rituximab prevents recurrence of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: a case report. Blood 2005; 106:925.
- Garvey B. Rituximab in the treatment of autoimmune haematological disorders. Br J Haematol 2008; 141:149.
- Jasti S, Coyle T, Gentile T, et al. Rituximab as an adjunct to plasma exchange in TTP: a report of 12 cases and review of literature. J Clin Apher 2008; 23:151.
- Bhagirath VC, Kelton JG, Moore J, Arnold DM. Rituximab maintenance for relapsed refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Transfusion 2012; 52:2517.
- Chemnitz JM, Uener J, Hallek M, Scheid C. Long-term follow-up of idiopathic thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura treated with rituximab. Ann Hematol 2010; 89:1029.
- de la Rubia J, Moscardó F, Gómez MJ, et al. Efficacy and safety of rituximab in adult patients with idiopathic relapsing or refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: results of a Spanish multicenter study. Transfus Apher Sci 2010; 43:299.
- Beloncle F, Buffet M, Coindre JP, et al. Splenectomy and/or cyclophosphamide as salvage therapies in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: the French TMA Reference Center experience. Transfusion 2012; 52:2436.
- Stein GY, Zeidman A, Fradin Z, et al. Treatment of resistant thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura with rituximab and cyclophosphamide. Int J Hematol 2004; 80:94.
- van Balen T, Schreuder MF, de Jong H, van de Kar NC. Refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura in a 16-year-old girl: successful treatment with bortezomib. Eur J Haematol 2014; 92:80.
- Yates S, Matevosyan K, Rutherford C, et al. Bortezomib for chronic relapsing thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: a case report. Transfusion 2014; 54:2064.
- Mazepa MA, Raval JS, Moll S, et al. Bortezomib induces clinical remission and reduction of ADAMTS13 inhibitory antibodies in relapsed refractory idiopathic thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Br J Haematol 2014; 164:900.
- Shortt J, Oh DH, Opat SS. ADAMTS13 antibody depletion by bortezomib in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:90.
- Patel PP, Becker J, Freyer C, et al. Rituximab-refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura responsive to intravenous but not subcutaneous bortezomib. Transfusion 2016; 56:970.
- Cataland SR, Jin M, Zheng XL, et al. An evaluation of cyclosporine alone for the treatment of early recurrences of thombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 4:1162.
- Cataland SR, Jin M, Lin S, et al. Cyclosporin and plasma exchange in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: long-term follow-up with serial analysis of ADAMTS13 activity. Br J Haematol 2007; 139:486.
- Cataland SR, Jin M, Ferketich AK, et al. An evaluation of cyclosporin and corticosteroids individually as adjuncts to plasma exchange in the treatment of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Br J Haematol 2007; 136:146.
- Bachman WR, Brennan JK. Refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura treated with cyclosporine. Am J Hematol 1996; 51:93.
- Kierdorf H, Maurin N, Heintz B. Cyclosporine for thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Ann Intern Med 1993; 118:987.
- Ahmad HN, Thomas-Dewing RR, Hunt BJ. Mycophenolate mofetil in a case of relapsed, refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Eur J Haematol 2007; 78:449.
- Beeker-Koepke SJ, Kudva GC, Grossman BJ. A case of relapsing, refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura responsive to mycophenolate mofetil. J Clin Apher 2008; 23:39.
- Chen J, Reheman A, Gushiken FC, et al. N-acetylcysteine reduces the size and activity of von Willebrand factor in human plasma and mice. J Clin Invest 2011; 121:593.
- George JN, López JA, Konkle BA. N-Acetylcysteine: an old drug, a new insight, a potentially effective treatment for thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Transfusion 2014; 54:1205.
- Li GW, Rambally S, Kamboj J, et al. Treatment of refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura with N-acetylcysteine: a case report. Transfusion 2014; 54:1221.
- Shortt J, Opat SS, Wood EM. N-Acetylcysteine for thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: is a von Willebrand factor-inhibitory dose feasible in vivo? Transfusion 2014; 54:2362.
- Aqui NA, Stein SH, Konkle BA, et al. Role of splenectomy in patients with refractory or relapsed thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. J Clin Apher 2003; 18:51.
- Kappers-Klunne MC, Wijermans P, Fijnheer R, et al. Splenectomy for the treatment of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Br J Haematol 2005; 130:768.
- Kremer Hovinga JA, Studt JD, Demarmels Biasiutti F, et al. Splenectomy in relapsing and plasma-refractory acquired thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Haematologica 2004; 89:320.
- Forzley BR, Sontrop JM, Macnab JJ, et al. Treating TTP/HUS with plasma exchange: a single centre's 25-year experience. Br J Haematol 2008; 143:100.
- Lotta LA, Mariani M, Consonni D, et al. Different clinical severity of first episodes and recurrences of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Br J Haematol 2010; 151:488.
- van Vollenhoven RF, Emery P, Bingham CO 3rd, et al. Long-term safety of rituximab in rheumatoid arthritis: 9.5-year follow-up of the global clinical trial programme with a focus on adverse events of interest in RA patients. Ann Rheum Dis 2013; 72:1496.
- Hie M, Gay J, Galicier L, et al. Preemptive rituximab infusions after remission efficiently prevent relapses in acquired thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2014; 124:204.
- Crowther MA, Heddle N, Hayward CP, et al. Splenectomy done during hematologic remission to prevent relapse in patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Ann Intern Med 1996; 125:294.
- Schaller M, Vogel M, Kentouche K, et al. The splenic autoimmune response to ADAMTS13 in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura contains recurrent antigen-binding CDR3 motifs. Blood 2014; 124:3469.
- REFRACTORY DISEASE
- Overview of approach (refractory disease)
- Re-evaluation of the diagnosis
- - Other possible diagnoses
- - Role of ADAMTS13 retesting
- Plasma exchange
- High-dose glucocorticoids
- POOR RESPONSE TO HIGH-DOSE GLUCOCORTICOIDS AND RITUXIMAB
- Approach to additional therapies
- Mycophenolate mofetil
- Overview of relapse
- First relapse
- Multiple relapses
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS