Medline ® Abstract for Reference 13
Phase II trial of docetaxel and carboplatin in recurrent platinum-sensitive ovarian, peritoneal and tubal cancer.
Strauss HG, Henze A, Teichmann A, Karbe I, Baumgart A, Thomssen C, Koelbl H
Gynecol Oncol. 2007 Mar;104(3):612-6. Epub 2006 Oct 27.
OBJECTIVE: Docetaxel and carboplatin are active in relapsed ovarian, peritoneal and tubal cancer. Recently, two prospective-randomized trials showed an advantage of carboplatin combination regimen with paclitaxel or gemcitabine over carboplatinum alone in platinum-sensitive cases. The question on the most effective combination with the best tolerable side effects still needs to be answered.
METHODS: Eligible patients had recurrent ovarian, peritoneal or tubal cancer (platinum-free interval>6 months), performance status 0-2 and normal bone marrow, renal and hepatic function. 25 patients (age 18-75 years) were enrolled into this phase II trial. Patients with debulking operation of recurrence were excluded from this study. Docetaxel 75 mg/m(2) via 30-min infusion was given on day 1 followed by carboplatin (area under curve [AUC]5) on day 1. The administration was repeated every 3 weeks over 6 courses. Primary endpoint of this trial was the response rate; secondary endpoints were progression-free survival, overall survival and toxicity.
RESULTS: In the intent-to-treat population, there were 16 (64.0%) complete and 2 (8.0%) partial responses resulting in an overall response rate of 72.0%. Three patients (12.0%) showed a stable disease and other 2 patients (8.0%) a progression of cancer. Two patients (8.0%) were not evaluable for response. Neutropenia was the most frequent G3/G4 hematologic toxicity in 15/25 patients (60.0%); but no neutropenic fever occurred in this trial. Diarrhea G3 was the most frequent G3/G4 non-hematologic toxicity in only 3/25 patients (12.0%). Dose-limiting toxicities were hypersensitivity reaction in one and depressive mood alteration requiring therapy in another case.
CONCLUSION: Carboplatin in combination with docetaxel is highly active and well tolerated in patients with recurrent platinum-sensitive ovarian, peritoneal and tubal cancer. Prospective-randomized trials comparing this with other carboplatin therapeutic doublets in patients with recurrent ovarian cancer are a possible option for the future to answer the question on the best combination regimen.
Department of Gynecology, Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg, 06097 Halle/S., Germany. firstname.lastname@example.org