Medline ® Abstract for Reference 35
Management of nonparasitic hepatic cysts.
Mazza OM, Fernandez DL, Pekolj J, Pfaffen G, Sanchez ClariáR, Molmenti EP, de Santibañes E
J Am Coll Surg. 2009;209(6):733.
BACKGROUND: The optimal management of nonparasitic hepatic cysts (NPHC) is a topic of debate. The purpose of this study was to evaluate our 17-year experience with NPHC.
STUDY DESIGN: From January 1990 to August 2007, 131 consecutive patients with NPHC were evaluated and treated at our institution. Seventy-eight patients (60%) had simple hepatic cysts (SHC). The remaining 53 (40%) had polycystic liver disease (PLD). Morbidity, mortality, and recurrence rates for each of the two groups were evaluated.
RESULTS: Thirty-seven patients underwent open deroofing (SHC, 24; PLD,13), 66 had laparoscopic deroofing (SHC, 46; PLD, 20), 19 had percutaneous drainage (SHC, 4; PLD, 15), 3 had major hepatic resections (PLD, 3), 4 had cystojejunostomy (SHC, 4), and 2 had combined hepatorenal transplantation (PLD, 2). Corresponding morbidity, mortality, and recurrence rates were, respectively: conventional deroofing: SHC, 29%, 0%, 8%; PLD, 8%, 0%, 0%; laparoscopic deroofing: SHC, 2%, 0%, 2%; PLD, 25%, 0%, 5%; percutaneous drainage: SHC, 0%, 0%, 75%; PLD, 0%, 0%, 20%; cystojejunostomy: SHC, 75%, 0%, 25%; major hepatic resections: PLD, 66%, 0%, 0%; and hepatorenal transplantation: PLD, 50%, 50%, 0%.
CONCLUSIONS: Laparoscopic deroofing provided complete relief of symptoms for both SHC and PLD. Percutaneous drainage was our procedure of choice for infected liver cysts and potentially for patients who cannot tolerate general anesthesia. Liver and liver-kidney transplantations were reserved for patients with end-stage PLD alone and in association with end-stage renal disease, respectively.
Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary and Liver Transplantation Units, Department of General Surgery, Hospital Italiano, Buenos Aires 1181, Argentina.