Vasculitis in children: Management overview
- David Cabral, MBBS, FRCPC
David Cabral, MBBS, FRCPC
- Clinical Professor of Pediatrics, Head, Division of Rheumatology, Department of Pediatrics
- University of British Columbia
- Kimberly Morishita, MD, MHSc, FRCPC
Kimberly Morishita, MD, MHSc, FRCPC
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
- Division of Rheumatology, Department of Pediatrics
- University of British Columbia
Vasculitis is defined as the presence of inflammation in a blood vessel that may occur as a primary process or secondary to an underlying disease. Clinical symptoms vary widely. The various vasculitic syndromes are defined by both the type of pathological inflammation and the type and location of the vessels, and this, in turn, determines which specific organs are affected [1,2].
The first priorities in management of a child with vasculitis are prompt recognition and timely treatment as many of the vasculitides can be severe and life-threatening conditions if not appropriately managed. Specific treatments are determined by the type of vasculitis, the severity of the inflammation, and the particular organ systems affected.
The overview of the management of vasculitis in children is reviewed here. The classification and the approach to evaluating childhood vasculitis are discussed separately. (See "Vasculitis in children: Classification and incidence" and "Vasculitis in children: Evaluation".)
GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT
The following principles are important to consider when managing a child with vasculitis:
●Differentiating vasculitis from other diseases that can either mimic vasculitis or cause secondary vasculitis
- Cassidy JT, Petty RE. Vasculitis and its classification. In: Textbook of pediatric rheumatology, 5th ed, Cassidy JT, Petty RE (Eds), Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia 2005. p.492.
- Dedeoglu F, Sundel RP. Vasculitis in children. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 2007; 33:555.
- Hunder G. Vasculitis: diagnosis and therapy. Am J Med 1996; 100:37S.
- Roane DW, Griger DR. An approach to diagnosis and initial management of systemic vasculitis. Am Fam Physician 1999; 60:1421.
- Langford CA. Management of systemic vasculitis. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 2001; 15:281.
- Jennette JC, Falk RJ, Andrassy K, et al. Nomenclature of systemic vasculitides. Proposal of an international consensus conference. Arthritis Rheum 1994; 37:187.
- Jennette JC, Falk RJ. Small-vessel vasculitis. N Engl J Med 1997; 337:1512.
- Watts RA, Suppiah R, Merkel PA, Luqmani R. Systemic vasculitis--is it time to reclassify? Rheumatology (Oxford) 2011; 50:643.
- Carlson JA, Cavaliere LF, Grant-Kels JM. Cutaneous vasculitis: diagnosis and management. Clin Dermatol 2006; 24:414.
- Allen NB, Bressler PB. Diagnosis and treatment of the systemic and cutaneous necrotizing vasculitis syndromes. Med Clin North Am 1997; 81:243.
- Jones RB, Tervaert JW, Hauser T, et al. Rituximab versus cyclophosphamide in ANCA-associated renal vasculitis. N Engl J Med 2010; 363:211.
- Stone JH, Merkel PA, Spiera R, et al. Rituximab versus cyclophosphamide for ANCA-associated vasculitis. N Engl J Med 2010; 363:221.
- Guerry MJ, Brogan P, Bruce IN, et al. Recommendations for the use of rituximab in anti-neutrophil cytoplasm antibody-associated vasculitis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2012; 51:634.
- de Groot K, Harper L, Jayne DR, et al. Pulse versus daily oral cyclophosphamide for induction of remission in antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated vasculitis: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2009; 150:670.
- Jayne DR, Gaskin G, Rasmussen N, et al. Randomized trial of plasma exchange or high-dosage methylprednisolone as adjunctive therapy for severe renal vasculitis. J Am Soc Nephrol 2007; 18:2180.
- Szpirt WM, Heaf JG, Petersen J. Plasma exchange for induction and cyclosporine A for maintenance of remission in Wegener's granulomatosis--a clinical randomized controlled trial. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2011; 26:206.
- Walsh M, Merkel PA, Peh CA, et al. Plasma exchange and glucocorticoid dosing in the treatment of anti-neutrophil cytoplasm antibody associated vasculitis (PEXIVAS): protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2013; 14:73.
- Mukhtyar C, Guillevin L, Cid MC, et al. EULAR recommendations for the management of primary small and medium vessel vasculitis. Ann Rheum Dis 2009; 68:310.
- De Groot K, Rasmussen N, Bacon PA, et al. Randomized trial of cyclophosphamide versus methotrexate for induction of remission in early systemic antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated vasculitis. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 52:2461.
- Jayne D. How to induce remission in primary systemic vasculitis. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 2005; 19:293.
- Langford CA, Sneller MC, Hoffman GS. Methotrexate use in systemic vasculitis. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 1997; 23:841.
- Langford CA, Talar-Williams C, Sneller MC. Use of methotrexate and glucocorticoids in the treatment of Wegener's granulomatosis. Long-term renal outcome in patients with glomerulonephritis. Arthritis Rheum 2000; 43:1836.
- Stone JH, Tun W, Hellman DB. Treatment of non-life threatening Wegener's granulomatosis with methotrexate and daily prednisone as the initial therapy of choice. J Rheumatol 1999; 26:1134.
- Langford CA, Talar-Williams C, Barron KS, Sneller MC. A staged approach to the treatment of Wegener's granulomatosis: induction of remission with glucocorticoids and daily cyclophosphamide switching to methotrexate for remission maintenance. Arthritis Rheum 1999; 42:2666.
- Langford CA, Talar-Williams C, Barron KS, Sneller MC. Use of a cyclophosphamide-induction methotrexate-maintenance regimen for the treatment of Wegener's granulomatosis: extended follow-up and rate of relapse. Am J Med 2003; 114:463.
- Jayne D, Rasmussen N, Andrassy K, et al. A randomized trial of maintenance therapy for vasculitis associated with antineutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies. N Engl J Med 2003; 349:36.
- Guillevin L, Pagnoux C, Karras A, et al. Rituximab versus azathioprine for maintenance in ANCA-associated vasculitis. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:1771.
- Eleftheriou D, Melo M, Marks SD, et al. Biologic therapy in primary systemic vasculitis of the young. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2009; 48:978.
- Wilkinson NM, Erendzhinova E, Zeft A, Cabral DA. Infliximab as rescue therapy in three cases of paediatric Wegener's granulomatosis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2006; 45:1047.
- Benseler SM, Silverman E, Aviv RI, et al. Primary central nervous system vasculitis in children. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 54:1291.
- Bitter KJ, Epstein LG, Melin-Aldana H, et al. Cyclophosphamide treatment of primary angiitis of the central nervous system in children: report of 2 cases. J Rheumatol 2006; 33:2078.
- Benseler SM, deVeber G, Hawkins C, et al. Angiography-negative primary central nervous system vasculitis in children: a newly recognized inflammatory central nervous system disease. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 52:2159.
- Yaari R, Anselm IA, Szer IS, et al. Childhood primary angiitis of the central nervous system: two biopsy-proven cases. J Pediatr 2004; 145:693.
- Hutchinson C, Elbers J, Halliday W, et al. Treatment of small vessel primary CNS vasculitis in children: an open-label cohort study. Lancet Neurol 2010; 9:1078.
- Tann OR, Tulloh RM, Hamilton MC. Takayasu's disease: a review. Cardiol Young 2008; 18:250.
- Falcini F, Generini S, Pignone A, et al. Are Angiotensin Converting Enzyme and von Willebrand factor circulating levels useful surrogate parameters to monitor disease activity in Kawasaki disease? Endothelium 1999; 6:209.
- Fazzini F, Peri G, Doni A, et al. PTX3 in small-vessel vasculitides: an independent indicator of disease activity produced at sites of inflammation. Arthritis Rheum 2001; 44:2841.
- Dolezalova P, Price-Kuehne FE, Özen S, et al. Disease activity assessment in childhood vasculitis: development and preliminary validation of the Paediatric Vasculitis Activity Score (PVAS). Ann Rheum Dis 2013; 72:1628.
- Moorthy AV, Chesney RW, Segar WE, Groshong T. Wegener granulomatosis in childhood: prolonged survival following cytotoxic therapy. J Pediatr 1977; 91:616.
- WALTON EW. Giant-cell granuloma of the respiratory tract (Wegener's granulomatosis). Br Med J 1958; 2:265.
- Phillip R, Luqmani R. Mortality in systemic vasculitis: a systematic review. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2008; 26:S94.
- Rottem M, Fauci AS, Hallahan CW, et al. Wegener granulomatosis in children and adolescents: clinical presentation and outcome. J Pediatr 1993; 122:26.
- Akikusa JD, Schneider R, Harvey EA, et al. Clinical features and outcome of pediatric Wegener's granulomatosis. Arthritis Rheum 2007; 57:837.
- Iudici M, Puéchal X, Pagnoux C, et al. Brief Report: Childhood-Onset Systemic Necrotizing Vasculitides: Long-Term Data From the French Vasculitis Study Group Registry. Arthritis Rheumatol 2015; 67:1959.
- Exley AR, Carruthers DM, Luqmani RA, et al. Damage occurs early in systemic vasculitis and is an index of outcome. QJM 1997; 90:391.
- GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT
- Differentiating vasculitis from other diseases
- Defining disease activity
- Weighing the benefits and risks of therapy
- - Key questions
- Cutaneous vasculitis
- Systemic vasculitis
- - Acute and self-limited disorders
- - Chronic disorders
- - Supportive care
- Primary angiitis of the central nervous system
- PATIENT MONITORING
- Clinical features
- Laboratory tests
- Imaging studies
- Tissue biopsy
- Disease-activity scoring
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS