UpToDate
Official reprint from UpToDate®
www.uptodate.com ©2017 UpToDate, Inc. and/or its affiliates. All Rights Reserved.

Medline ® Abstract for Reference 82

of 'Use of intracoronary stents for specific coronary lesions'

82
TI
Targeted stent use in clinical practice based on evidence from the Basel Stent Cost Effectiveness Trial (BASKET).
AU
Brunner-La Rocca HP, Kaiser C, Pfisterer M, BASKET Investigators
SO
Eur Heart J. 2007;28(6):719.
 
AIM: It is unknown which patients benefit most from drug-eluting stents (DES) against bare-metal stents (BMS) in a long-term clinical outcome.
METHODS AND RESULTS: To address this question, data from 826 consecutive patients with angioplasty, randomized 2:1 to DES vs. BMS, with an 18-month follow-up for cardiac death/myocardial infarction (MI) and non-MI-related target-vessel revascularization (TVR) were analysed for interactions between stent type and patient/vessel characteristics predicting events. Rates of 18-month TVRs were lower with DES vs. BMS use (7.5 vs. 11.6%, P = 0.05), but similar for both stents regarding cardiac death/MI (DES, 8.4%; BMS, 7.5%; P = 0.70). Significant interactions between stent type and two multivariable event predictors were identified: small stents (<3.0 mm) and bypass graft stenting. In these patient groups together (n = 268, 32%), DES reduced non-MI-related TVR (HR = 0.44; P = 0.02) and cardiac death/MI (HR = 0.44; P = 0.04), whereas in the other 558 patients (68%) TVR rate was similar (HR = 0.75; P = 0.38) and cardiac death/MI rate increased after DES (HR = 2.07; P = 0.05).
CONCLUSION: Patients with angioplasty of small vessels or bypass grafts seem to benefit from DES use, in long-term outcome, in contrast to patients with large native vessel stenting where there might even be late harm. Still, this hypothesis needs to be tested prospectively.
AD
Division of Cardiology, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland.
PMID