Tumors of the nasal cavity
- Roi Dagan, MD
Roi Dagan, MD
- Assistant Professor, Radiation Oncology
- University of Florida, College of Medicine
- Robert J Amdur, MD
Robert J Amdur, MD
- Department of Radiation Oncology
- University of Florida College of Medicine
- Peter T Dziegielewski, MD, FRCS(C)
Peter T Dziegielewski, MD, FRCS(C)
- Assistant Professor
- Chief of Head & Neck Surgical Oncology and Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery
- University of Florida
- Section Editors
- Bruce E Brockstein, MD
Bruce E Brockstein, MD
- Section Editor — Cancer of the Head and Neck
- Clinical Professor of Medicine
- University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
- Marshall R Posner, MD
Marshall R Posner, MD
- Section Editor — Cancer of the Head and Neck
- Professor of Gene and Cell Medicine
- The Tisch Cancer Institute
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- David M Brizel, MD
David M Brizel, MD
- Section Editor — Radiation Therapy
- Leonard R Prosnitz Professor of Radiation Oncology
- Professor of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery
- Duke University Cancer Institute
- Marvin P Fried, MD, FACS
Marvin P Fried, MD, FACS
- Section Editor — Head and Neck Surgery
- Professor and University Chairman, Department of Otorhinolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
There are a number of different malignant neoplasms that arise in the nasal cavity, the most common of which are squamous cell carcinoma and variants of adenocarcinoma, followed by neuroendocrine tumors and mucosal melanoma.
This topic discusses malignant tumors of epithelial origin arising in the nasal cavity. Lymphoreticular malignancies (including natural killer [NK]/T cell lymphoma and plasmacytoma), sarcomas, and benign neoplasms, such as inverted papilloma, are addressed elsewhere. This review will address the pertinent anatomy, histological variants, initial evaluation, staging, treatment strategies, and outcomes for nasal cavity cancers.
Related topics include:
●(See "Cancer of the nasal vestibule".)
●(See "Paranasal sinus cancer".)
- Turner JH, Reh DD. Incidence and survival in patients with sinonasal cancer: a historical analysis of population-based data. Head Neck 2012; 34:877.
- Benninger MS. The impact of cigarette smoking and environmental tobacco smoke on nasal and sinus disease: a review of the literature. Am J Rhinol 1999; 13:435.
- Zheng W, McLaughlin JK, Chow WH, et al. Risk factors for cancers of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses among white men in the United States. Am J Epidemiol 1993; 138:965.
- Mayr SI, Hafizovic K, Waldfahrer F, et al. Characterization of initial clinical symptoms and risk factors for sinonasal adenocarcinomas: results of a case-control study. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 2010; 83:631.
- Pesch B, Pierl CB, Gebel M, et al. Occupational risks for adenocarcinoma of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses in the German wood industry. Occup Environ Med 2008; 65:191.
- Luce D, Gérin M, Leclerc A, et al. Sinonasal cancer and occupational exposure to formaldehyde and other substances. Int J Cancer 1993; 53:224.
- Llorente JL, López F, Suárez C, Hermsen MA. Sinonasal carcinoma: clinical, pathological, genetic and therapeutic advances. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2014; 11:460.
- Chu Y, Liu HG, Yu ZK. Patterns and incidence of sinonasal malignancy with orbital invasion. Chin Med J (Engl) 2012; 125:1638.
- Gil Z, Carlson DL, Gupta A, et al. Patterns and incidence of neural invasion in patients with cancers of the paranasal sinuses. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2009; 135:173.
- Kuijpens JH, Louwman MW, Peters R, et al. Trends in sinonasal cancer in The Netherlands: more squamous cell cancer, less adenocarcinoma. A population-based study 1973-2009. Eur J Cancer 2012; 48:2369.
- Eggesbø HB. Imaging of sinonasal tumours. Cancer Imaging 2012; 12:136.
- Raghavan P, Phillips CD. Magnetic resonance imaging of sinonasal malignancies. Top Magn Reson Imaging 2007; 18:259.
- Gomaa MA, Hammad MS, Abdelmoghny A, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging versus computed tomography and different imaging modalities in evaluation of sinonasal neoplasms diagnosed by histopathology. Clin Med Insights Ear Nose Throat 2013; 6:9.
- Broski SM, Hunt CH, Johnson GB, et al. The added value of 18F-FDG PET/CT for evaluation of patients with esthesioneuroblastoma. J Nucl Med 2012; 53:1200.
- Fujioka T, Toriihara A, Kubota K, et al. Long-term follow-up using 18F-FDG PET/CT for postoperative olfactory neuroblastoma. Nucl Med Commun 2014; 35:857.
- Kraus DH, Lydiatt WM, Patel SG, et al. Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinuses. In: AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, 8th, Amin MB (Ed), Springer, New York 2017. p.137.
- Dulguerov P, Jacobsen MS, Allal AS, et al. Nasal and paranasal sinus carcinoma: are we making progress? A series of 220 patients and a systematic review. Cancer 2001; 92:3012.
- Guntinas-Lichius O, Kreppel MP, Stuetzer H, et al. Single modality and multimodality treatment of nasal and paranasal sinuses cancer: a single institution experience of 229 patients. Eur J Surg Oncol 2007; 33:222.
- Thorup C, Sebbesen L, Danø H, et al. Carcinoma of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses in Denmark 1995-2004. Acta Oncol 2010; 49:389.
- Dirix P, Nuyts S, Geussens Y, et al. Malignancies of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses: long-term outcome with conventional or three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2007; 69:1042.
- Howard DJ, Lund VJ, Wei WI. Craniofacial resection for tumors of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses: a 25-year experience. Head Neck 2006; 28:867.
- Arnold A, Ziglinas P, Ochs K, et al. Therapy options and long-term results of sinonasal malignancies. Oral Oncol 2012; 48:1031.
- Hanna E, DeMonte F, Ibrahim S, et al. Endoscopic resection of sinonasal cancers with and without craniotomy: oncologic results. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2009; 135:1219.
- Nicolai P, Battaglia P, Bignami M, et al. Endoscopic surgery for malignant tumors of the sinonasal tract and adjacent skull base: a 10-year experience. Am J Rhinol 2008; 22:308.
- Suh JD, Ramakrishnan VR, Chi JJ, et al. Outcomes and complications of endoscopic approaches for malignancies of the paranasal sinuses and anterior skull base. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2013; 122:54.
- Komotar RJ, Starke RM, Raper DM, et al. Endoscopic endonasal compared with anterior craniofacial and combined cranionasal resection of esthesioneuroblastomas. World Neurosurg 2013; 80:148.
- Soler ZM, Smith TL. Endoscopic versus open craniofacial resection of esthesioneuroblastoma: what is the evidence? Laryngoscope 2012; 122:244.
- Devaiah AK, Andreoli MT. Treatment of esthesioneuroblastoma: a 16-year meta-analysis of 361 patients. Laryngoscope 2009; 119:1412.
- Nabili V, Kelly DF, Fatemi N, et al. Transnasal, transfacial, anterior skull base resection of olfactory neuroblastoma. Am J Otolaryngol 2011; 32:279.
- Mayo C, Martel MK, Marks LB, et al. Radiation dose-volume effects of optic nerves and chiasm. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2010; 76:S28.
- Monroe AT, Bhandare N, Morris CG, Mendenhall WM. Preventing radiation retinopathy with hyperfractionation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2005; 61:856.
- Parsons JT, Bova FJ, Fitzgerald CR, et al. Radiation retinopathy after external-beam irradiation: analysis of time-dose factors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1994; 30:765.
- Bhandare N, Moiseenko V, Song WY, et al. Severe dry eye syndrome after radiotherapy for head-and-neck tumors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2012; 82:1501.
- Hoppe BS, Stegman LD, Zelefsky MJ, et al. Treatment of nasal cavity and paranasal sinus cancer with modern radiotherapy techniques in the postoperative setting--the MSKCC experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2007; 67:691.
- Mendenhall WM, Amdur RJ, Morris CG, et al. Carcinoma of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses. Laryngoscope 2009; 119:899.
- Allen MW, Schwartz DL, Rana V, et al. Long-term radiotherapy outcomes for nasal cavity and septal cancers. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008; 71:401.
- Chen AM, Daly ME, Bucci MK, et al. Carcinomas of the paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity treated with radiotherapy at a single institution over five decades: are we making improvement? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2007; 69:141.
- Hoppe BS, Wolden SL, Zelefsky MJ, et al. Postoperative intensity-modulated radiation therapy for cancers of the paranasal sinuses, nasal cavity, and lacrimal glands: technique, early outcomes, and toxicity. Head Neck 2008; 30:925.
- Duprez F, Madani I, Morbée L, et al. IMRT for sinonasal tumors minimizes severe late ocular toxicity and preserves disease control and survival. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2012; 83:252.
- Cianchetti M, Amichetti M. Sinonasal malignancies and charged particle radiation treatment: a systematic literature review. Int J Otolaryngol 2012; 2012:325891.
- Patel SH, Wang Z, Wong WW, et al. Charged particle therapy versus photon therapy for paranasal sinus and nasal cavity malignant diseases: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Oncol 2014; 15:1027.
- Nomiya T, Tsuji H, Hirasawa N, et al. Carbon ion radiation therapy for primary renal cell carcinoma: initial clinical experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008; 72:828.
- Herr MW, Sethi RK, Meier JC, et al. Esthesioneuroblastoma: an update on the massachusetts eye and ear infirmary and massachusetts general hospital experience with craniofacial resection, proton beam radiation, and chemotherapy. J Neurol Surg B Skull Base 2014; 75:58.
- Zenda S, Kohno R, Kawashima M, et al. Proton beam therapy for unresectable malignancies of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2011; 81:1473.
- Dagan R, Bryant C, Li Z, et al. Outcomes of Sinonasal Cancer Treated With Proton Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2016; 95:377.
- Russo AL, Adams JA, Weyman EA, et al. Long-Term Outcomes After Proton Beam Therapy for Sinonasal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2016; 95:368.
- Guan X, Wang X, Liu Y, et al. Lymph node metastasis in sinonasal squamous cell carcinoma treated with IMRT/3D-CRT. Oral Oncol 2013; 49:60.
- Mirghani H, Hartl D, Mortuaire G, et al. Nodal recurrence of sinonasal cancer: does the risk of cervical relapse justify a prophylactic neck treatment? Oral Oncol 2013; 49:374.
- Jiang W, Mohamed AS, Fuller CD, et al. The role of elective nodal irradiation for esthesioneuroblastoma patients with clinically negative neck. Pract Radiat Oncol 2016; 6:241.
- Katz TS, Mendenhall WM, Morris CG, et al. Malignant tumors of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses. Head Neck 2002; 24:821.
- Hanna EY, Cardenas AD, DeMonte F, et al. Induction chemotherapy for advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the paranasal sinuses. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2011; 137:78.
- Rischin D, Porceddu S, Peters L, et al. Promising results with chemoradiation in patients with sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma. Head Neck 2004; 26:435.
- Lupinetti AD, Roberts DB, Williams MD, et al. Sinonasal adenoid cystic carcinoma: the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center experience. Cancer 2007; 110:2726.
- Gomez DR, Hoppe BS, Wolden SL, et al. Outcomes and prognostic variables in adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck: a recent experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008; 70:1365.
- Balamucki CJ, Amdur RJ, Werning JW, et al. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck. Am J Otolaryngol 2012; 33:510.
- Chen AM, Daly ME, El-Sayed I, et al. Patterns of failure after combined-modality approaches incorporating radiotherapy for sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma of the head and neck. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008; 70:338.
- Batth SS, Sreeraman R, Dienes E, et al. Clinical-dosimetric relationship between lacrimal gland dose and ocular toxicity after intensity-modulated radiotherapy for sinonasal tumours. Br J Radiol 2013; 86:20130459.
- Weber DC, Chan AW, Lessell S, et al. Visual outcome of accelerated fractionated radiation for advanced sinonasal malignancies employing photons/protons. Radiother Oncol 2006; 81:243.
- Dirix P, Vanstraelen B, Jorissen M, et al. Intensity-modulated radiotherapy for sinonasal cancer: improved outcome compared to conventional radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2010; 78:998.
- Dirix P, Nuyts S, Vanstraelen B, et al. Post-operative intensity-modulated radiotherapy for malignancies of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses. Radiother Oncol 2007; 85:385.
- Madani I, Bonte K, Vakaet L, et al. Intensity-modulated radiotherapy for sinonasal tumors: Ghent University Hospital update. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2009; 73:424.
- Wiegner EA, Daly ME, Murphy JD, et al. Intensity-modulated radiotherapy for tumors of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses: clinical outcomes and patterns of failure. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2012; 83:243.
- Feng S, Fan Y, Liang Z, et al. Effect of intranasal steroids on rhinosinusitis after radiotherapy for nasopharyngeal carcinoma: clinical study. J Laryngol Otol 2016; 130:265.
- Kaplan DJ, Kim JH, Wang E, Snyderman C. Prognostic Indicators for Salvage Surgery of Recurrent Sinonasal Malignancy. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2016; 154:104.
- EPIDEMIOLOGY AND RISK FACTORS
- CLINICAL PRESENTATION
- INITIAL EVALUATION
- History and physical examination
- Radiation therapy
- - Indications
- - Dose/fractionation
- - Technique
- - Treatment planning
- Management of the neck
- POSTTREATMENT SURVEILLANCE
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS