Tuberculous pleural effusion
- Michael D Frye, MD
Michael D Frye, MD
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Medical University of South Carolina
- John T Huggins, MD
John T Huggins, MD
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Medical University of South Carolina
Tuberculous pleural effusion is the second most common form of extrapulmonary tuberculosis (after lymphatic involvement) and is the most common cause of pleural effusion in areas where tuberculosis is endemic [1-5]. Tuberculous pleural effusion is synonymous with the term tuberculous pleurisy.
Issues related to the evaluation and management of tuberculous pleural effusions will be reviewed here. Issues related to pulmonary tuberculosis are discussed separately. (See "Treatment of drug-susceptible pulmonary tuberculosis in HIV-uninfected adults" and "Treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis in HIV-infected adults: Initiation of therapy".)
Overview — Tuberculous pleural effusions can occur in association with reactivation disease or primary tuberculosis (TB) [4,6-9]. In adults, most often they occur due to reactivation disease [7,8]; in children, most often they occur in the setting of primary disease .
Development of tuberculous pleural effusion occurs most commonly as a result of delayed hypersensitivity reaction to mycobacteria or mycobacterial antigens in the pleural space . Less commonly, tuberculous pleural effusion develops when a subpleural focus of disease ruptures into the pleural space .
Patients with tuberculous pleural effusion usually have an acute febrile illness with nonproductive cough (94 percent) and pleuritic chest pain (78 percent) . Night sweats, chills, weakness, dyspnea, and weight loss can also occur. The peripheral white blood cell count is typically normal .To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Zhai K, Lu Y, Shi HZ. Tuberculous pleural effusion. J Thorac Dis 2016; 8:E486.
- Light RW. Update on tuberculous pleural effusion. Respirology 2010; 15:451.
- Baumann MH, Nolan R, Petrini M, et al. Pleural tuberculosis in the United States: incidence and drug resistance. Chest 2007; 131:1125.
- Seibert AF, Haynes J Jr, Middleton R, Bass JB Jr. Tuberculous pleural effusion. Twenty-year experience. Chest 1991; 99:883.
- Lewinsohn DM, Leonard MK, LoBue PA, et al. Official American Thoracic Society/Infectious Diseases Society of America/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Clinical Practice Guidelines: Diagnosis of Tuberculosis in Adults and Children. Clin Infect Dis 2017; 64:e1.
- Gopi A, Madhavan SM, Sharma SK, Sahn SA. Diagnosis and treatment of tuberculous pleural effusion in 2006. Chest 2007; 131:880.
- Torgersen J, Dorman SE, Baruch N, et al. Molecular epidemiology of pleural and other extrapulmonary tuberculosis: a Maryland state review. Clin Infect Dis 2006; 42:1375.
- Kim HJ, Lee HJ, Kwon SY, et al. The prevalence of pulmonary parenchymal tuberculosis in patients with tuberculous pleuritis. Chest 2006; 129:1253.
- Merino JM, Carpintero I, Alvarez T, et al. Tuberculous pleural effusion in children. Chest 1999; 115:26.
- Leibowitz S, Kennedy L, Lessof MH. The tuberculin reaction in the pleural cavity and its suppression by antilymphocyte serum. Br J Exp Pathol 1973; 54:152.
- STEAD WW, EICHENHOLZ A, STAUSS HK. Operative and pathologic findings in twenty-four patients with syndrome of idiopathic pleurisy with effusion, presumably tuberculous. Am Rev Tuberc 1955; 71:473.
- Berger HW, Mejia E. Tuberculous pleurisy. Chest 1973; 63:88.
- Valdés L, Alvarez D, San José E, et al. Tuberculous pleurisy: a study of 254 patients. Arch Intern Med 1998; 158:2017.
- Frye MD, Pozsik CJ, Sahn SA. Tuberculous pleurisy is more common in AIDS than in non-AIDS patients with tuberculosis. Chest 1997; 112:393.
- Tshibwabwa-Tumba E, Mwinga A, Pobee JO, Zumla A. Radiological features of pulmonary tuberculosis in 963 HIV-infected adults at three Central African Hospitals. Clin Radiol 1997; 52:837.
- Relkin F, Aranda CP, Garay SM, et al. Pleural tuberculosis and HIV infection. Chest 1994; 105:1338.
- Frye MD, Pozsik CJ, Sahn SA. Tuberculous pleuritis and HIV disease. Chest 1995; 108:102S.
- Hulnick DH, Naidich DP, McCauley DI. Pleural tuberculosis evaluated by computed tomography. Radiology 1983; 149:759.
- Diagnostic Standards and Classification of Tuberculosis in Adults and Children. This official statement of the American Thoracic Society and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was adopted by the ATS Board of Directors, July 1999. This statement was endorsed by the Council of the Infectious Disease Society of America, September 1999. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 161:1376.
- Sahn SA, Iseman MD. Tuberculous empyema. Semin Respir Infect 1999; 14:82.
- Havlir DV, Barnes PF. Tuberculosis in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. N Engl J Med 1999; 340:367.
- Daley CL, Small PM, Schecter GF, et al. An outbreak of tuberculosis with accelerated progression among persons infected with the human immunodeficiency virus. An analysis using restriction-fragment-length polymorphisms. N Engl J Med 1992; 326:231.
- Kitinya JN, Richter C, Perenboom R, et al. Influence of HIV status on pathological changes in tuberculous pleuritis. Tuber Lung Dis 1994; 75:195.
- Sahn SA, Huggins JT, San José ME, et al. Can tuberculous pleural effusions be diagnosed by pleural fluid analysis alone? Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2013; 17:787.
- Jiménez Castro D, Díaz Nuevo G, Pérez-Rodríguez E, Light RW. Diagnostic value of adenosine deaminase in nontuberculous lymphocytic pleural effusions. Eur Respir J 2003; 21:220.
- Riantawan P, Chaowalit P, Wongsangiem M, Rojanaraweewong P. Diagnostic value of pleural fluid adenosine deaminase in tuberculous pleuritis with reference to HIV coinfection and a Bayesian analysis. Chest 1999; 116:97.
- Levine H, Metzger W, Lacera D, Kay L. Diagnosis of tuberculous pleurisy by culture of pleural biopsy specimen. Arch Intern Med 1970; 126:269.
- Epstein DM, Kline LR, Albelda SM, Miller WT. Tuberculous pleural effusions. Chest 1987; 91:106.
- Antony VB, Repine JE, Harada RN, et al. Inflammatory responses in experimental tuberculosis pleurisy. Acta Cytol 1983; 27:355.
- Antony VB, Sahn SA, Antony AC, Repine JE. Bacillus Calmette-Guérin-stimulated neutrophils release chemotaxins for monocytes in rabbit pleural spaces and in vitro. J Clin Invest 1985; 76:1514.
- Light RW. Chapter 10. In: Pleural Diseases, 2d ed, Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia 1990.
- Piras MA, Gakis C, Budroni M, Andreoni G. Adenosine deaminase activity in pleural effusions: an aid to differential diagnosis. Br Med J 1978; 2:1751.
- Ocaña I, Martinez-Vazquez JM, Segura RM, et al. Adenosine deaminase in pleural fluids. Test for diagnosis of tuberculous pleural effusion. Chest 1983; 84:51.
- Valdés L, San José E, Alvarez D, et al. Diagnosis of tuberculous pleurisy using the biologic parameters adenosine deaminase, lysozyme, and interferon gamma. Chest 1993; 103:458.
- Orriols R, Coloma R, Ferrer J, et al. Adenosine deaminase in tuberculous pleural effusion. Chest 1994; 106:1633.
- Bañales JL, Pineda PR, Fitzgerald JM, et al. Adenosine deaminase in the diagnosis of tuberculous pleural effusions. A report of 218 patients and review of the literature. Chest 1991; 99:355.
- Villegas MV, Labrada LA, Saravia NG. Evaluation of polymerase chain reaction, adenosine deaminase, and interferon-gamma in pleural fluid for the differential diagnosis of pleural tuberculosis. Chest 2000; 118:1355.
- Baba K, Hoosen AA, Langeland N, Dyrhol-Riise AM. Adenosine deaminase activity is a sensitive marker for the diagnosis of tuberculous pleuritis in patients with very low CD4 counts. PLoS One 2008; 3:e2788.
- Aljohaney A, Amjadi K, Alvarez GG. A systematic review of the epidemiology, immunopathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment of pleural TB in HIV-infected patients. Clin Dev Immunol 2012; 2012:842045.
- Heyderman RS, Makunike R, Muza T, et al. Pleural tuberculosis in Harare, Zimbabwe: the relationship between human immunodeficiency virus, CD4 lymphocyte count, granuloma formation and disseminated disease. Trop Med Int Health 1998; 3:14.
- Richter C, Perenboom R, Mtoni I, et al. Clinical features of HIV-seropositive and HIV-seronegative patients with tuberculous pleural effusion in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Chest 1994; 106:1471.
- Gil V, Cordero PJ, Greses JV, Soler JJ. Pleural tuberculosis in HIV-infected patients. Chest 1995; 107:1775.
- Trajman A, da Silva Santos Kleiz de Oliveira EF, Bastos ML, et al. Accuracy of polimerase chain reaction for the diagnosis of pleural tuberculosis. Respir Med 2014; 108:918.
- Denkinger CM, Schumacher SG, Boehme CC, et al. Xpert MTB/RIF assay for the diagnosis of extrapulmonary tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Respir J 2014; 44:435.
- Hiraki A, Aoe K, Eda R, et al. Comparison of six biological markers for the diagnosis of tuberculous pleuritis. Chest 2004; 125:987.
- Aoe K, Hiraki A, Murakami T, et al. Diagnostic significance of interferon-gamma in tuberculous pleural effusions. Chest 2003; 123:740.
- Wongtim S, Silachamroon U, Ruxrungtham K, et al. Interferon gamma for diagnosing tuberculous pleural effusions. Thorax 1999; 54:921.
- Jiang J, Shi HZ, Liang QL, et al. Diagnostic value of interferon-gamma in tuberculous pleurisy: a metaanalysis. Chest 2007; 131:1133.
- Verea Hernando HR, Masa Jimenez JF, Dominguez Juncal L, et al. Meaning and diagnostic value of determining the lysozyme level of pleural fluid. Chest 1987; 91:342.
- Kirsch CM, Kroe DM, Azzi RL, et al. The optimal number of pleural biopsy specimens for a diagnosis of tuberculous pleurisy. Chest 1997; 112:702.
- Sahn SA. State of the art. The pleura. Am Rev Respir Dis 1988; 138:184.
- Diacon AH, Van de Wal BW, Wyser C, et al. Diagnostic tools in tuberculous pleurisy: a direct comparative study. Eur Respir J 2003; 22:589.
- Emad A, Rezaian GR. Diagnostic value of closed percutaneous pleural biopsy vs pleuroscopy in suspected malignant pleural effusion or tuberculous pleurisy in a region with a high incidence of tuberculosis: a comparative, age-dependent study. Respir Med 1998; 92:488.
- Conde MB, Loivos AC, Rezende VM, et al. Yield of sputum induction in the diagnosis of pleural tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2003; 167:723.
- Losi M, Bossink A, Codecasa L, et al. Use of a T-cell interferon-gamma release assay for the diagnosis of tuberculous pleurisy. Eur Respir J 2007; 30:1173.
- Aggarwal AN, Agarwal R, Gupta D, et al. Interferon Gamma Release Assays for Diagnosis of Pleural Tuberculosis: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Clin Microbiol 2015; 53:2451.
- Porcel JM, Azzopardi M, Koegelenberg CF, et al. The diagnosis of pleural effusions. Expert Rev Respir Med 2015; 9:801.
- Gakis C. Adenosine deaminase in pleural effusions. Chest 1995; 107:1772.
- Ryan H, Yoo J, Darsini P. Corticosteroids for tuberculous pleurisy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017; 3:CD001876.
- Lee CH, Wang WJ, Lan RS, et al. Corticosteroids in the treatment of tuberculous pleurisy. A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized study. Chest 1988; 94:1256.
- Matchaba PT, Volmink J. Steroids for treating tuberculous pleurisy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000; :CD001876.
- Elliott AM, Luzze H, Quigley MA, et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of the use of prednisolone as an adjunct to treatment in HIV-1-associated pleural tuberculosis. J Infect Dis 2004; 190:869.
- Lai YF, Chao TY, Wang YH, Lin AS. Pigtail drainage in the treatment of tuberculous pleural effusions: a randomised study. Thorax 2003; 58:149.
- Barbas CS, Cukier A, de Varvalho CR, et al. The relationship between pleural fluid findings and the development of pleural thickening in patients with pleural tuberculosis. Chest 1991; 100:1264.
- Bhuniya S, Arunabha DC, Choudhury S, et al. Role of therapeutic thoracentesis in tuberculous pleural effusion. Ann Thorac Med 2012; 7:215.
- Bolliger CT, de Kock MA. Influence of a fibrothorax on the flow/volume curve. Respiration 1988; 54:197.
- Candela A, Andujar J, Hernández L, et al. Functional sequelae of tuberculous pleurisy in patients correctly treated. Chest 2003; 123:1996.
- de Pablo A, Villena V, Echave-Sustaeta J, Encuentra AL. Are pleural fluid parameters related to the development of residual pleural thickening in tuberculosis? Chest 1997; 112:1293.
- Chen B, Zhang J, Ye Z, et al. Outcomes of Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgical Decortication in 274 Patients with Tuberculous Empyema. Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2015; 21:223.