Treatment, prognosis, and prophylaxis of secondary central nervous system lymphoma
- Ephraim Hochberg, MD
Ephraim Hochberg, MD
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Fred H Hochberg, MD
Fred H Hochberg, MD
- Professor, Department of Neurology
- University of California at San Diego Moores Cancer Center
- Section Editors
- Arnold S Freedman, MD
Arnold S Freedman, MD
- Section Editor — Lymphoproliferative Disorders
- Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Patrick Y Wen, MD
Patrick Y Wen, MD
- Section Editor — Neurooncology
- Professor of Neurology
- Harvard Medical School
Systemic non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) can involve the nervous system at every level, including peripheral nerve, spinal nerve roots, spinal cord, meninges, and brain; of these, leptomeningeal disease and brain involvement are most common. While central nervous system (CNS) disease must be managed to prevent neurologic morbidity and preserve quality of life, the survival of patients with secondary CNS lymphoma depends upon control of both CNS and systemic disease sites [1,2]. Thus, an effective treatment for secondary CNS lymphoma must address both compartments.
Treatment options for patients with secondary CNS lymphoma include:
●High-dose intravenous (IV) chemotherapy
●Intrathecal (IT) chemotherapy
●Radiation therapy to sites of radiographically apparent symptomatic disease
- Wasserstrom WR, Glass JP, Posner JB. Diagnosis and treatment of leptomeningeal metastases from solid tumors: experience with 90 patients. Cancer 1982; 49:759.
- Siegal T, Lossos A, Pfeffer MR. Leptomeningeal metastases: analysis of 31 patients with sustained off-therapy response following combined-modality therapy. Neurology 1994; 44:1463.
- Lopez JA, Nassif E, Vannicola P, et al. Central nervous system pharmacokinetics of high-dose cytosine arabinoside. J Neurooncol 1985; 3:119.
- Shapiro WR, Young DF, Mehta BM. Methotrexate: distribution in cerebrospinal fluid after intravenous, ventricular and lumbar injections. N Engl J Med 1975; 293:161.
- Blaney SM, Balis FM, Poplack DG. Pharmacologic approaches to the treatment of meningeal malignancy. Oncology (Williston Park) 1991; 5:107.
- Bokstein F, Lossos A, Lossos IS, Siegal T. Central nervous system relapse of systemic non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: results of treatment based on high-dose methotrexate combination chemotherapy. Leuk Lymphoma 2002; 43:587.
- Kim SJ, Oh SY, Kim JS, et al. Secondary central nervous system (CNS) involvement in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: a therapeutic dilemma. Ann Hematol 2011; 90:539.
- Fischer L, Korfel A, Kiewe P, et al. Systemic high-dose methotrexate plus ifosfamide is highly effective for central nervous system (CNS) involvement of lymphoma. Ann Hematol 2009; 88:133.
- Reni M, Ferreri AJ, Guha-Thakurta N, et al. Clinical relevance of consolidation radiotherapy and other main therapeutic issues in primary central nervous system lymphomas treated with upfront high-dose methotrexate. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2001; 51:419.
- Ferreri AJ, Guerra E, Regazzi M, et al. Area under the curve of methotrexate and creatinine clearance are outcome-determining factors in primary CNS lymphomas. Br J Cancer 2004; 90:353.
- Wong ET, Tishler R, Barron L, Wu JK. Immunochemotherapy with rituximab and temozolomide for central nervous system lymphomas. Cancer 2004; 101:139.
- Enting RH, Demopoulos A, DeAngelis LM, Abrey LE. Salvage therapy for primary CNS lymphoma with a combination of rituximab and temozolomide. Neurology 2004; 63:901.
- Wong ET. Salvage therapy for primary CNS lymphoma with a combination of rituximab and temozolomide. Neurology 2005; 64:934; author reply 934.
- Santisteban M, Nieto Y, De la Cruz S, et al. Primary central nervous system lymphoma treated with rituximab plus temozolomide in a second line schedule. Clin Transl Oncol 2007; 9:465.
- Batchelor TT, Grossman SA, Mikkelsen T, et al. Rituximab monotherapy for patients with recurrent primary CNS lymphoma. Neurology 2011; 76:929.
- Alvarnas JC, Negrin RS, Horning SJ, et al. High-dose therapy with hematopoietic cell transplantation for patients with central nervous system involvement by non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2000; 6:352.
- Haioun C, Besson C, Lepage E, et al. Incidence and risk factors of central nervous system relapse in histologically aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma uniformly treated and receiving intrathecal central nervous system prophylaxis: a GELA study on 974 patients. Groupe d'Etudes des Lymphomes de l'Adulte. Ann Oncol 2000; 11:685.
- Williams CD, Pearce R, Taghipour G, et al. Autologous bone marrow transplantation for patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and CNS involvement: those transplanted with active CNS disease have a poor outcome--a report by the European Bone Marrow Transplant Lymphoma Registry. J Clin Oncol 1994; 12:2415.
- Bromberg JE, Doorduijn JK, Illerhaus G, et al. Central nervous system recurrence of systemic lymphoma in the era of stem cell transplantation--an International Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma Study Group project. Haematologica 2013; 98:808.
- Kasamon YL, Jones RJ, Piantadosi S, et al. High-dose therapy and blood or marrow transplantation for non-Hodgkin lymphoma with central nervous system involvement. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2005; 11:93.
- Korfel A, Elter T, Thiel E, et al. Phase II study of central nervous system (CNS)-directed chemotherapy including high-dose chemotherapy with autologous stem cell transplantation for CNS relapse of aggressive lymphomas. Haematologica 2013; 98:364.
- Maziarz RT, Wang Z, Zhang MJ, et al. Autologous haematopoietic cell transplantation for non-Hodgkin lymphoma with secondary CNS involvement. Br J Haematol 2013; 162:648.
- Oh DH, Chua N, Street L, Stewart DA. Treatment of patients with secondary central nervous system lymphoma with high-dose busulfan/thiotepa-based conditioning and autologous stem cell transplant. Leuk Lymphoma 2016; 57:28.
- Ferreri AJ, Donadoni G, Cabras MG, et al. High Doses of Antimetabolites Followed by High-Dose Sequential Chemoimmunotherapy and Autologous Stem-Cell Transplantation in Patients With Systemic B-Cell Lymphoma and Secondary CNS Involvement: Final Results of a Multicenter Phase II Trial. J Clin Oncol 2015; 33:3903.
- Berweiler U, Krone A, Tonn JC. Reservoir systems for intraventricular chemotherapy. J Neurooncol 1998; 38:141.
- Glantz MJ, LaFollette S, Jaeckle KA, et al. Randomized trial of a slow-release versus a standard formulation of cytarabine for the intrathecal treatment of lymphomatous meningitis. J Clin Oncol 1999; 17:3110.
- Garcia-Marco JA, Panizo C, Garcia ES, et al. Efficacy and safety of liposomal cytarabine in lymphoma patients with central nervous system involvement from lymphoma. Cancer 2009; 115:1892.
- Perissinotti AJ, Reeves DJ. Role of intrathecal rituximab and trastuzumab in the management of leptomeningeal carcinomatosis. Ann Pharmacother 2010; 44:1633.
- Schulz H, Pels H, Schmidt-Wolf I, et al. Intraventricular treatment of relapsed central nervous system lymphoma with the anti-CD20 antibody rituximab. Haematologica 2004; 89:753.
- Rubenstein JL, Fridlyand J, Abrey L, et al. Phase I study of intraventricular administration of rituximab in patients with recurrent CNS and intraocular lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25:1350.
- Rubenstein JL, Li J, Chen L, et al. Multicenter phase 1 trial of intraventricular immunochemotherapy in recurrent CNS lymphoma. Blood 2013; 121:745.
- Hanssens PE, Lagerwaard FJ, Levendag PC. Principles of radiotherapy of neoplastic meningosis. J Neurooncol 1998; 38:145.
- Hoerni-Simon G, Suchaud JP, Eghbali H, et al. Secondary involvement of the central nervous system in malignant non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. A study of 30 cases in a series of 498 patients. Oncology 1987; 44:98.
- Zinzani PL, Magagnoli M, Frezza G, et al. Isolated central nervous system relapse in aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: the Bologna experience. Leuk Lymphoma 1999; 32:571.
- Mead GM, Kennedy P, Smith JL, et al. Involvement of the central nervous system by non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in adults. A review of 36 cases. Q J Med 1986; 60:699.
- Hollender A, Kvaloy S, Lote K, et al. Prognostic factors in 140 adult patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma with systemic central nervous system (CNS) involvement. A single centre analysis. Eur J Cancer 2000; 36:1762.
- Boehme V, Zeynalova S, Kloess M, et al. Incidence and risk factors of central nervous system recurrence in aggressive lymphoma--a survey of 1693 patients treated in protocols of the German High-Grade Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Study Group (DSHNHL). Ann Oncol 2007; 18:149.
- Yoshida S, Morii K, Watanabe M, Saito T. Characteristic features of malignant lymphoma with central nervous system involvement. Surg Neurol 2000; 53:163.
- Doolittle ND, Abrey LE, Shenkier TN, et al. Brain parenchyma involvement as isolated central nervous system relapse of systemic non-Hodgkin lymphoma: an International Primary CNS Lymphoma Collaborative Group report. Blood 2008; 111:1085.
- Kridel R, Dietrich PY. Prevention of CNS relapse in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Lancet Oncol 2011; 12:1258.
- Hollender A, Kvaloy S, Nome O, et al. Central nervous system involvement following diagnosis of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: a risk model. Ann Oncol 2002; 13:1099.
- Lister A, Abrey LE, Sandlund JT. Central nervous system lymphoma. Hematology (Am Soc Hematol Educ Program) 2002; 283.
- van Besien K, Ha CS, Murphy S, et al. Risk factors, treatment, and outcome of central nervous system recurrence in adults with intermediate-grade and immunoblastic lymphoma. Blood 1998; 91:1178.
- McMillan A. Central nervous system-directed preventative therapy in adults with lymphoma. Br J Haematol 2005; 131:13.
- Bos GM, van Putten WL, van der Holt B, et al. For which patients with aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is prophylaxis for central nervous system disease mandatory? Dutch HOVON Group. Ann Oncol 1998; 9:191.
- Cheung CW, Burton C, Smith P, et al. Central nervous system chemoprophylaxis in non-Hodgkin lymphoma: current practice in the UK. Br J Haematol 2005; 131:193.
- Schmitz N, Zeynalova S, Glass B, et al. CNS disease in younger patients with aggressive B-cell lymphoma: an analysis of patients treated on the Mabthera International Trial and trials of the German High-Grade Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Study Group. Ann Oncol 2012; 23:1267.
- Savage KJ, Zeynalova S, Kansara RR, et al. Validation of a prognostic model to assess the risk of CNS disease in patients with aggressive B-cell lymphoma. Blood 2014; 124:394 (abstract).
- Schmitz N, Zeynalova S, Nickelsen M, et al. CNS International Prognostic Index: A Risk Model for CNS Relapse in Patients With Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma Treated With R-CHOP. J Clin Oncol 2016; 34:3150.
- McMillan A, Ardeshna KM, Cwynarski K, et al. Guideline on the prevention of secondary central nervous system lymphoma: British Committee for Standards in Haematology. Br J Haematol 2013; 163:168.
- Sehn LH, Scott DW, Chhanabhai M, et al. Impact of concordant and discordant bone marrow involvement on outcome in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated with R-CHOP. J Clin Oncol 2011; 29:1452.
- Tomita N, Kodama F, Kanamori H, et al. Prophylactic intrathecal methotrexate and hydrocortisone reduces central nervous system recurrence and improves survival in aggressive non-hodgkin lymphoma. Cancer 2002; 95:576.
- Arkenau HT, Chong G, Cunningham D, et al. The role of intrathecal chemotherapy prophylaxis in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Ann Oncol 2007; 18:541.
- Abramson JS, Hellmann M, Barnes JA, et al. Intravenous methotrexate as central nervous system (CNS) prophylaxis is associated with a low risk of CNS recurrence in high-risk patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Cancer 2010; 116:4283.
- Chua SL, Seymour JF, Streater J, et al. Intrathecal chemotherapy alone is inadequate central nervous system prophylaxis in patients with intermediate-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma 2002; 43:1783.
- Bernstein SH, Unger J, LeBlanc M, Fisher RI. Central nervous system (CNS) relapse in aggressive non-Hodgkins lymphoma: Does CNS prophylaxis work? (abstract) Blood 2007; 110: abstract 520.
- GENERAL APPROACH
- SYMPTOMATIC THERAPY
- SYSTEMIC CHEMOTHERAPY
- Is there a role for rituximab?
- High-dose chemotherapy with stem cell rescue
- INTRATHECAL THERAPY
- RADIATION THERAPY
- Who should receive prophylaxis?
- What prophylaxis should be used?
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS