Treatment of subacute and chronic cough in adults
- Steven E Weinberger, MD
Steven E Weinberger, MD
- Adjunct Professor of Medicine
- University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Executive Vice President and CEO
- American College of Physicians
- Ronald C Silvestri, MD
Ronald C Silvestri, MD
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Section Editors
- Peter J Barnes, DM, DSc, FRCP, FRS
Peter J Barnes, DM, DSc, FRCP, FRS
- Editor-in-Chief — Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Section Editor — Asthma
- Professor of Medicine
- National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College, London
- Talmadge E King, Jr, MD
Talmadge E King, Jr, MD
- Editor-in-Chief — Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Section Editor — Interstitial Lung Disease
- Dean, School of Medicine
- Vice Chancellor, Medical Affairs
- University of California San Francisco
Although an acute and self-limited cough often does not require therapy, prolonged cough can be a bothersome symptom that precipitates many outpatient visits to the clinician for treatment. Differing definitions for a chronic cough have been proposed that require symptoms for varying times from two weeks to three months [1,2]. Guidelines from the American College of Chest Physicians distinguish three categories of cough based upon duration :
●Acute cough, lasting less than three weeks
●Subacute cough, lasting between three and eight weeks
●Chronic cough, lasting more than eight weeks
The initial priorities for patients with cough lasting more than three weeks (subacute or chronic cough) are to identify a precipitant or etiology, and then to eliminate the precipitant or treat the underlying cause [3-6].
- Irwin RS, Baumann MH, Bolser DC, et al. Diagnosis and management of cough executive summary: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2006; 129:1S.
- Morice AH, Fontana GA, Sovijarvi AR, et al. The diagnosis and management of chronic cough. Eur Respir J 2004; 24:481.
- Irwin RS, Curley FJ. The treatment of cough. A comprehensive review. Chest 1991; 99:1477.
- Irwin RS, Madison JM. The diagnosis and treatment of cough. N Engl J Med 2000; 343:1715.
- Palombini BC, Villanova CA, Araújo E, et al. A pathogenic triad in chronic cough: asthma, postnasal drip syndrome, and gastroesophageal reflux disease. Chest 1999; 116:279.
- Iyer VN, Lim KG. Chronic cough: an update. Mayo Clin Proc 2013; 88:1115.
- Irwin RS, Corrao WM, Pratter MR. Chronic persistent cough in the adult: the spectrum and frequency of causes and successful outcome of specific therapy. Am Rev Respir Dis 1981; 123:413.
- Irwin RS, Curley FJ, French CL. Chronic cough. The spectrum and frequency of causes, key components of the diagnostic evaluation, and outcome of specific therapy. Am Rev Respir Dis 1990; 141:640.
- Pratter MR, Bartter T, Akers S, DuBois J. An algorithmic approach to chronic cough. Ann Intern Med 1993; 119:977.
- Birring SS. Controversies in the evaluation and management of chronic cough. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011; 183:708.
- Woodcock A, Young EC, Smith JA. New insights in cough. Br Med Bull 2010; 96:61.
- Haque RA, Usmani OS, Barnes PJ. Chronic idiopathic cough: a discrete clinical entity? Chest 2005; 127:1710.
- Pratter MR. Chronic upper airway cough syndrome secondary to rhinosinus diseases (previously referred to as postnasal drip syndrome): ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2006; 129:63S.
- Wallace DV, Dykewicz MS, Bernstein DI, et al. The diagnosis and management of rhinitis: an updated practice parameter. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2008; 122:S1.
- Curley FJ, Irwin RS, Pratter MR, et al. Cough and the common cold. Am Rev Respir Dis 1988; 138:305.
- Grossman J, Banov C, Boggs P, et al. Use of ipratropium bromide nasal spray in chronic treatment of nonallergic perennial rhinitis, alone and in combination with other perennial rhinitis medications. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1995; 95:1123.
- Dicpinigaitis PV. Chronic cough due to asthma: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2006; 129:75S.
- Cheriyan S, Greenberger PA, Patterson R. Outcome of cough variant asthma treated with inhaled steroids. Ann Allergy 1994; 73:478.
- Spector SL, Tan RA. Effectiveness of montelukast in the treatment of cough variant asthma. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2004; 93:232.
- Dicpinigaitis PV, Dobkin JB, Reichel J. Antitussive effect of the leukotriene receptor antagonist zafirlukast in subjects with cough-variant asthma. J Asthma 2002; 39:291.
- Hunter CJ, Brightling CE, Woltmann G, et al. A comparison of the validity of different diagnostic tests in adults with asthma. Chest 2002; 121:1051.
- Chatkin JM, Ansarin K, Silkoff PE, et al. Exhaled nitric oxide as a noninvasive assessment of chronic cough. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999; 159:1810.
- Brightling CE. Chronic cough due to nonasthmatic eosinophilic bronchitis: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2006; 129:116S.
- Brightling CE, Ward R, Wardlaw AJ, Pavord ID. Airway inflammation, airway responsiveness and cough before and after inhaled budesonide in patients with eosinophilic bronchitis. Eur Respir J 2000; 15:682.
- Irwin RS, French CL, Curley FJ, et al. Chronic cough due to gastroesophageal reflux. Clinical, diagnostic, and pathogenetic aspects. Chest 1993; 104:1511.
- Poe RH, Kallay MC. Chronic cough and gastroesophageal reflux disease: experience with specific therapy for diagnosis and treatment. Chest 2003; 123:679.
- Irwin RS. Chronic cough due to gastroesophageal reflux disease: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2006; 129:80S.
- Chang AB, Lasserson TJ, Gaffney J, et al. Gastro-oesophageal reflux treatment for prolonged non-specific cough in children and adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011; :CD004823.
- Kahrilas PJ, Shaheen NJ, Vaezi MF, et al. American Gastroenterological Association Medical Position Statement on the management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Gastroenterology 2008; 135:1383.
- Allen CJ, Anvari M. Gastro-oesophageal reflux related cough and its response to laparoscopic fundoplication. Thorax 1998; 53:963.
- Hoppo T, Komatsu Y, Jobe BA. Antireflux surgery in patients with chronic cough and abnormal proximal exposure as measured by hypopharyngeal multichannel intraluminal impedance. JAMA Surg 2013; 148:608.
- Iqbal M, Batch AJ, Spychal RT, Cooper BT. Outcome of surgical fundoplication for extraesophageal (atypical) manifestations of gastroesophageal reflux disease in adults: a systematic review. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2008; 18:789.
- Pratter MR. Cough and the common cold: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2006; 129:72S.
- Berkowitz RB, Tinkelman DG. Evaluation of oral terfenadine for treatment of the common cold. Ann Allergy 1991; 67:593.
- Berkowitz RB, Connell JT, Dietz AJ, et al. The effectiveness of the nonsedating antihistamine loratadine plus pseudoephedrine in the symptomatic management of the common cold. Ann Allergy 1989; 63:336.
- Braman SS. Postinfectious cough: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2006; 129:138S.
- Holmes PW, Barter CE, Pierce RJ. Chronic persistent cough: use of ipratropium bromide in undiagnosed cases following upper respiratory tract infection. Respir Med 1992; 86:425.
- Senzilet LD, Halperin SA, Spika JS, et al. Pertussis is a frequent cause of prolonged cough illness in adults and adolescents. Clin Infect Dis 2001; 32:1691.
- Cazzola M, Matera MG, Liccardi G, et al. Theophylline in the inhibition of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor-induced cough. Respiration 1993; 60:212.
- Hargreaves MR, Benson MK. Inhaled sodium cromoglycate in angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor cough. Lancet 1995; 345:13.
- Malini PL, Strocchi E, Zanardi M, et al. Thromboxane antagonism and cough induced by angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor. Lancet 1997; 350:15.
- Dicpinigaitis PV. Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor-induced cough: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2006; 129:169S.
- Lacourcière Y, Brunner H, Irwin R, et al. Effects of modulators of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system on cough. Losartan Cough Study Group. J Hypertens 1994; 12:1387.
- Tanaka H, Teramoto S, Oashi K, et al. Effects of candesartan on cough and bronchial hyperresponsiveness in mildly to moderately hypertensive patients with symptomatic asthma. Circulation 2001; 104:281.
- Morice AH. The cough hypersensitivity syndrome: a novel paradigm for understanding cough. Lung 2010; 188 Suppl 1:S87.
- Mitchell JE, Campbell AP, New NE, et al. Expression and characterization of the intracellular vanilloid receptor (TRPV1) in bronchi from patients with chronic cough. Exp Lung Res 2005; 31:295.
- Adcock JJ. TRPV1 receptors in sensitisation of cough and pain reflexes. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2009; 22:65.
- Grace MS, Belvisi MG. TRPA1 receptors in cough. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2011; 24:286.
- Belvisi MG, Geppetti P. Cough. 7: Current and future drugs for the treatment of chronic cough. Thorax 2004; 59:438.
- Irwin RS, Curley FJ, Bennett FM. Appropriate use of antitussives and protussives. A practical review. Drugs 1993; 46:80.
- Bolser DC. Cough suppressant and pharmacologic protussive therapy: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2006; 129:238S.
- Yancy WS Jr, McCrory DC, Coeytaux RR, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of treatments for chronic cough: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Chest 2013; 144:1827.
- Matthys H, Bleicher B, Bleicher U. Dextromethorphan and codeine: objective assessment of antitussive activity in patients with chronic cough. J Int Med Res 1983; 11:92.
- Aylward M, Maddock J, Davies DE, et al. Dextromethorphan and codeine: comparison of plasma kinetics and antitussive effects. Eur J Respir Dis 1984; 65:283.
- Smith J, Owen E, Earis J, Woodcock A. Effect of codeine on objective measurement of cough in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006; 117:831.
- Woodcock A, McLeod RL, Sadeh J, Smith JA. The efficacy of a NOP1 agonist (SCH486757) in subacute cough. Lung 2010; 188 Suppl 1:S47.
- Chung KF. Currently available cough suppressants for chronic cough. Lung 2008; 186 Suppl 1:S82.
- Morice AH, Menon MS, Mulrennan SA, et al. Opiate therapy in chronic cough. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2007; 175:312.
- Ryan NM. A review on the efficacy and safety of gabapentin in the treatment of chronic cough. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2015; 16:135.
- Gibson PG, Vertigan AE. Management of chronic refractory cough. BMJ 2015; 351:h5590.
- Gibson P, Wang G, McGarvey L, et al. Treatment of Unexplained Chronic Cough: CHEST Guideline and Expert Panel Report. Chest 2016; 149:27.
- Ryan NM, Birring SS, Gibson PG. Gabapentin for refractory chronic cough: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2012; 380:1583.
- Vertigan AE, Kapela SL, Ryan NM, et al. Pregabalin and Speech Pathology Combination Therapy for Refractory Chronic Cough: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Chest 2016; 149:639.
- Dicpinigaitis PV, Gayle YE, Solomon G, Gilbert RD. Inhibition of cough-reflex sensitivity by benzonatate and guaifenesin in acute viral cough. Respir Med 2009; 103:902.
- Doona M, Walsh D. Benzonatate for opioid-resistant cough in advanced cancer. Palliat Med 1998; 12:55.
- McLawhorn MW, Goulding MR, Gill RK, Michele TM. Analysis of benzonatate overdoses among adults and children from 1969-2010 by the United States Food and Drug Administration. Pharmacotherapy 2013; 33:38.
- Horton MR, Santopietro V, Mathew L, et al. Thalidomide for the treatment of cough in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2012; 157:398.
- Lim KG, Rank MA, Hahn PY, et al. Long-term safety of nebulized lidocaine for adults with difficult-to-control chronic cough: a case series. Chest 2013; 143:1060.
- Boulet LP, Milot J, Boutet M, et al. Airway inflammation in nonasthmatic subjects with chronic cough. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1994; 149:482.
- Evald T, Munch EP, Kok-Jensen A. Chronic non-asthmatic cough is not affected by inhaled beclomethasone dipropionate. A controlled double blind clinical trial. Allergy 1989; 44:510.
- Hodgson D, Anderson J, Reynolds C, et al. The Effects of Azithromycin in Treatment-Resistant Cough: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial. Chest 2016; 149:1052.
- Yousaf N, Monteiro W, Parker D, et al. Long-term low-dose erythromycin in patients with unexplained chronic cough: a double-blind placebo controlled trial. Thorax 2010; 65:1107.
- Gibson PG, Vertigan AE. Speech pathology for chronic cough: a new approach. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2009; 22:159.
- Chamberlain S, Birring SS, Garrod R. Nonpharmacological interventions for refractory chronic cough patients: systematic review. Lung 2014; 192:75.
- Abdulqawi R, Dockry R, Holt K, et al. P2X3 receptor antagonist (AF-219) in refractory chronic cough: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 2 study. Lancet 2015; 385:1198.
- SPECIFIC TREATMENT
- Upper airway cough syndrome
- Cough variant asthma
- Nonasthmatic eosinophilic bronchitis
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- - Lifestyle modifications
- - Acid-suppression medication
- - Other therapies
- Following an upper respiratory tract infection
- Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors and receptor blockers
- NONSPECIFIC TREATMENT
- Centrally acting antitussive agents
- - Dextromethorphan
- - Codeine
- - Morphine
- - Gabapentin and pregabalin
- Peripherally acting antitussive agents
- Inhaled glucocorticoids
- Ipratropium bromide
- Macrolide antibiotics
- Non-pharmacologic interventions
- FUTURE DIRECTIONS
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- Specific therapy
- Nonspecific therapy