Treatment of relapsed or refractory peripheral T cell lymphoma
- Eric Jacobsen, MD
Eric Jacobsen, MD
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
- Arnold S Freedman, MD
Arnold S Freedman, MD
- Section Editor — Lymphoproliferative Disorders
- Professor of Medicine
- Harvard Medical School
The peripheral T cell lymphomas (PTCL) are a heterogeneous group of generally aggressive neoplasms that constitute less than 15 percent of all non-Hodgkin lymphomas (NHLs) in adults. Among these, in decreasing frequency of occurrence, are:
●Peripheral T cell lymphoma, not otherwise specified (PTCL, NOS)
●Anaplastic large cell lymphoma, primary systemic type (ALCL)
●Angioimmunoblastic T cell lymphoma (AITL)
●Extranodal NK/T cell lymphoma, nasal type
- Abouyabis AN, Shenoy PJ, Sinha R, et al. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Front-line Anthracycline-Based Chemotherapy Regimens for Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma. ISRN Hematol 2011; 2011:623924.
- Mak V, Hamm J, Chhanabhai M, et al. Survival of patients with peripheral T-cell lymphoma after first relapse or progression: spectrum of disease and rare long-term survivors. J Clin Oncol 2013; 31:1970.
- Zelenetz AD, Hamlin P, Kewalramani T, et al. Ifosfamide, carboplatin, etoposide (ICE)-based second-line chemotherapy for the management of relapsed and refractory aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Ann Oncol 2003; 14 Suppl 1:i5.
- Velasquez WS, Cabanillas F, Salvador P, et al. Effective salvage therapy for lymphoma with cisplatin in combination with high-dose Ara-C and dexamethasone (DHAP). Blood 1988; 71:117.
- Velasquez WS, McLaughlin P, Tucker S, et al. ESHAP--an effective chemotherapy regimen in refractory and relapsing lymphoma: a 4-year follow-up study. J Clin Oncol 1994; 12:1169.
- Zinzani PL, Venturini F, Stefoni V, et al. Gemcitabine as single agent in pretreated T-cell lymphoma patients: evaluation of the long-term outcome. Ann Oncol 2010; 21:860.
- Crump M, Baetz T, Couban S, et al. Gemcitabine, dexamethasone, and cisplatin in patients with recurrent or refractory aggressive histology B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a Phase II study by the National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group (NCIC-CTG). Cancer 2004; 101:1835.
- López A, Gutiérrez A, Palacios A, et al. GEMOX-R regimen is a highly effective salvage regimen in patients with refractory/relapsing diffuse large-cell lymphoma: a phase II study. Eur J Haematol 2008; 80:127.
- Skamene T, Crump M, Savage KJ, et al. Salvage chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplantation for peripheral T-cell lymphoma: a subset analysis of the Canadian Cancer Trials Group LY.12 randomized phase 3 study(). Leuk Lymphoma 2017; 58:2319.
- O'Connor OA, Hamlin PA, Portlock C, et al. Pralatrexate, a novel class of antifol with high affinity for the reduced folate carrier-type 1, produces marked complete and durable remissions in a diversity of chemotherapy refractory cases of T-cell lymphoma. Br J Haematol 2007; 139:425.
- O'Connor OA, Horwitz S, Hamlin P, et al. Phase II-I-II study of two different doses and schedules of pralatrexate, a high-affinity substrate for the reduced folate carrier, in patients with relapsed or refractory lymphoma reveals marked activity in T-cell malignancies. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27:4357.
- O'Connor OA, Pro B, Pinter-Brown L, et al. Pralatrexate in patients with relapsed or refractory peripheral T-cell lymphoma: results from the pivotal PROPEL study. J Clin Oncol 2011; 29:1182.
- Malik SM, Liu K, Qiang X, et al. Folotyn (pralatrexate injection) for the treatment of patients with relapsed or refractory peripheral T-cell lymphoma: U.S. Food and Drug Administration drug approval summary. Clin Cancer Res 2010; 16:4921.
- Piekarz RL, Frye R, Prince HM, et al. Phase 2 trial of romidepsin in patients with peripheral T-cell lymphoma. Blood 2011; 117:5827.
- Coiffier B, Pro B, Prince HM, et al. Results from a pivotal, open-label, phase II study of romidepsin in relapsed or refractory peripheral T-cell lymphoma after prior systemic therapy. J Clin Oncol 2012; 30:631.
- Munster PN, Rubin EH, Van Belle S, et al. A single supratherapeutic dose of vorinostat does not prolong the QTc interval in patients with advanced cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2009; 15:7077.
- Romidepsin: Treatment of Cutaneous T-cell Lymphoma (CTCL), including Relief of Pruritus, in Patients who have Received at Least One Prior Systemic Therapy. Sponsor's Background Package for the Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee Meeting Scheduled for September 2, 2009. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/OncologicDrugsAdvisoryCommittee/UCM180633.pdf (Accessed on February 11, 2010).
- Whittaker SJ, Demierre MF, Kim EJ, et al. Final results from a multicenter, international, pivotal study of romidepsin in refractory cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2010; 28:4485.
- O'Connor OA, Horwitz S, Masszi T, et al. Belinostat in Patients With Relapsed or Refractory Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma: Results of the Pivotal Phase II BELIEF (CLN-19) Study. J Clin Oncol 2015; 33:2492.
- http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2014/206256lbl.pdf?et_cid=34049616&et_rid=789337055&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.accessdata.fda.gov%2fdrugsatfda_docs%2flabel%2f2014%2f206256lbl.pdf (Accessed on July 03, 2014).
- Okeley NM, Miyamoto JB, Zhang X, et al. Intracellular activation of SGN-35, a potent anti-CD30 antibody-drug conjugate. Clin Cancer Res 2010; 16:888.
- http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2011/125388s000,125399s000lbl.pdf (Accessed on August 22, 2011).
- Horwitz SM, Advani RH, Bartlett NL, et al. Objective responses in relapsed T-cell lymphomas with single-agent brentuximab vedotin. Blood 2014; 123:3095.
- http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/about.cfm (Accessed on January 23, 2012).
- Mak V, Connors JM, Klasa R, et al. Survival of peripheral T cell lymphomas patients following relapse: Spectrum of disease and rare long-term survivors (abstract 96). Blood 2011; 118:46.
- Corradini P, Dodero A, Zallio F, et al. Graft-versus-lymphoma effect in relapsed peripheral T-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphomas after reduced-intensity conditioning followed by allogeneic transplantation of hematopoietic cells. J Clin Oncol 2004; 22:2172.
- Le Gouill S, Milpied N, Buzyn A, et al. Graft-versus-lymphoma effect for aggressive T-cell lymphomas in adults: a study by the Société Francaise de Greffe de Moëlle et de Thérapie Cellulaire. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26:2264.
- Kyriakou C, Canals C, Finke J, et al. Allogeneic stem cell transplantation is able to induce long-term remissions in angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma: a retrospective study from the lymphoma working party of the European group for blood and marrow transplantation. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27:3951.
- Shustov AR, Gooley TA, Sandmaier BM, et al. Allogeneic haematopoietic cell transplantation after nonmyeloablative conditioning in patients with T-cell and natural killer-cell lymphomas. Br J Haematol 2010; 150:170.
- Dodero A, Spina F, Narni F, et al. Allogeneic transplantation following a reduced-intensity conditioning regimen in relapsed/refractory peripheral T-cell lymphomas: long-term remissions and response to donor lymphocyte infusions support the role of a graft-versus-lymphoma effect. Leukemia 2012; 26:520.
- Smith SM, Burns LJ, van Besien K, et al. Hematopoietic cell transplantation for systemic mature T-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2013; 31:3100.
- Jacobsen ED, Kim HT, Ho VT, et al. A large single-center experience with allogeneic stem-cell transplantation for peripheral T-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma and advanced mycosis fungoides/Sezary syndrome. Ann Oncol 2011; 22:1608.
- Rodríguez J, Caballero MD, Gutiérrez A, et al. High-dose chemotherapy and autologous stem cell transplantation in peripheral T-cell lymphoma: the GEL-TAMO experience. Ann Oncol 2003; 14:1768.
- Jagasia M, Morgan D, Goodman S, et al. Histology impacts the outcome of peripheral T-cell lymphomas after high dose chemotherapy and stem cell transplant. Leuk Lymphoma 2004; 45:2261.
- Zinzani PL, Musuraca G, Tani M, et al. Phase II trial of proteasome inhibitor bortezomib in patients with relapsed or refractory cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25:4293.
- Lee J, Suh C, Kang HJ, et al. Phase I study of proteasome inhibitor bortezomib plus CHOP in patients with advanced, aggressive T-cell or NK/T-cell lymphoma. Ann Oncol 2008; 19:2079.
- Damaj G, Gressin R, Bouabdallah K, et al. Results from a prospective, open-label, phase II trial of bendamustine in refractory or relapsed T-cell lymphomas: the BENTLY trial. J Clin Oncol 2013; 31:104.
- Toumishey E, Prasad A, Dueck G, et al. Final report of a phase 2 clinical trial of lenalidomide monotherapy for patients with T-cell lymphoma. Cancer 2015; 121:716.
- EVALUATION OF SUSPECTED RESISTANCE OR RELAPSE
- TREATMENT OF RELAPSED/REFRACTORY DISEASE
- - Traditional regimens
- - Newer agents
- Selection of agent
- - Autologous versus allogeneic HCT
- - Allogeneic HCT
- - Autologous HCT
- CLINICAL TRIALS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS