Treatment of primary aldosteronism
- William F Young, Jr, MD, MSc
William F Young, Jr, MD, MSc
- Professor of Medicine
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Norman M Kaplan, MD
Norman M Kaplan, MD
- Section Editor — Hypertension
- Clinical Professor of Internal Medicine
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Nonsuppressible (primary) hypersecretion of aldosterone is an uncommon but underdiagnosed cause of hypertension. The classic presenting signs of primary aldosteronism are hypertension and hypokalemia.
Many subtypes of primary aldosteronism have been described since Conn's original report of the aldosterone-producing adenoma in 1954 [1-3]. The most common subtypes are:
●Bilateral idiopathic hyperaldosteronism
Less common forms include:
- CONN JW. Aldosterone in clinical medicine; past, present, and future. AMA Arch Intern Med 1956; 97:135.
- Mattsson C, Young WF Jr. Primary aldosteronism: diagnostic and treatment strategies. Nat Clin Pract Nephrol 2006; 2:198.
- Young WF. Primary aldosteronism: renaissance of a syndrome. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2007; 66:607.
- Milliez P, Girerd X, Plouin PF, et al. Evidence for an increased rate of cardiovascular events in patients with primary aldosteronism. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 45:1243.
- Mulatero P, Monticone S, Bertello C, et al. Long-term cardio- and cerebrovascular events in patients with primary aldosteronism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2013; 98:4826.
- Savard S, Amar L, Plouin PF, Steichen O. Cardiovascular complications associated with primary aldosteronism: a controlled cross-sectional study. Hypertension 2013; 62:331.
- Funder JW, Carey RM, Fardella C, et al. Case detection, diagnosis, and treatment of patients with primary aldosteronism: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93:3266.
- Sawka AM, Young WF, Thompson GB, et al. Primary aldosteronism: factors associated with normalization of blood pressure after surgery. Ann Intern Med 2001; 135:258.
- Milsom SR, Espiner EA, Nicholls MG, et al. The blood pressure response to unilateral adrenalectomy in primary aldosteronism. Q J Med 1986; 61:1141.
- Celen O, O'Brien MJ, Melby JC, Beazley RM. Factors influencing outcome of surgery for primary aldosteronism. Arch Surg 1996; 131:646.
- TAIPAI Study Group, Wu VC, Chueh SC, et al. Association of kidney function with residual hypertension after treatment of aldosterone-producing adenoma. Am J Kidney Dis 2009; 54:665.
- Duncan JL 3rd, Fuhrman GM, Bolton JS, et al. Laparoscopic adrenalectomy is superior to an open approach to treat primary hyperaldosteronism. Am Surg 2000; 66:932.
- Meria P, Kempf BF, Hermieu JF, et al. Laparoscopic management of primary hyperaldosteronism: clinical experience with 212 cases. J Urol 2003; 169:32.
- Rossi H, Kim A, Prinz RA. Primary hyperaldosteronism in the era of laparoscopic adrenalectomy. Am Surg 2002; 68:253.
- Ishidoya S, Ito A, Sakai K, et al. Laparoscopic partial versus total adrenalectomy for aldosterone producing adenoma. J Urol 2005; 174:40.
- Chiang WF, Cheng CJ, Wu ST, et al. Incidence and factors of post-adrenalectomy hyperkalemia in patients with aldosterone producing adenoma. Clin Chim Acta 2013; 424:114.
- Fischer E, Hanslik G, Pallauf A, et al. Prolonged zona glomerulosa insufficiency causing hyperkalemia in primary aldosteronism after adrenalectomy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2012; 97:3965.
- Sechi LA, Novello M, Lapenna R, et al. Long-term renal outcomes in patients with primary aldosteronism. JAMA 2006; 295:2638.
- Reincke M, Rump LC, Quinkler M, et al. Risk factors associated with a low glomerular filtration rate in primary aldosteronism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009; 94:869.
- Sechi LA, Di Fabio A, Bazzocchi M, et al. Intrarenal hemodynamics in primary aldosteronism before and after treatment. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009; 94:1191.
- Iwakura Y, Morimoto R, Kudo M, et al. Predictors of decreasing glomerular filtration rate and prevalence of chronic kidney disease after treatment of primary aldosteronism: renal outcome of 213 cases. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2014; 99:1593.
- Meyer A, Brabant G, Behrend M. Long-term follow-up after adrenalectomy for primary aldosteronism. World J Surg 2005; 29:155.
- Horita Y, Inenaga T, Nakahama H, et al. Cause of residual hypertension after adrenalectomy in patients with primary aldosteronism. Am J Kidney Dis 2001; 37:884.
- Zarnegar R, Young WF Jr, Lee J, et al. The aldosteronoma resolution score: predicting complete resolution of hypertension after adrenalectomy for aldosteronoma. Ann Surg 2008; 247:511.
- Minowada S, Fujimura T, Takahashi N, et al. Computed tomography-guided percutaneous acetic acid injection therapy for functioning adrenocortical adenoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003; 88:5814.
- Munver R, Del Pizzo JJ, Sosa RE. Adrenal-preserving minimally invasive surgery: the role of laparoscopic partial adrenalectomy, cryosurgery, and radiofrequency ablation of the adrenal gland. Curr Urol Rep 2003; 4:87.
- Sywak M, Pasieka JL. Long-term follow-up and cost benefit of adrenalectomy in patients with primary hyperaldosteronism. Br J Surg 2002; 89:1587.
- Lim PO, Jung RT, MacDonald TM. Raised aldosterone to renin ratio predicts antihypertensive efficacy of spironolactone: a prospective cohort follow-up study. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1999; 48:756.
- Ghose RP, Hall PM, Bravo EL. Medical management of aldosterone-producing adenomas. Ann Intern Med 1999; 131:105.
- Lim PO, Young WF, MacDonald TM. A review of the medical treatment of primary aldosteronism. J Hypertens 2001; 19:353.
- Brown JJ, Davies DL, Ferriss JB, et al. Comparison of surgery and prolonged spironolactone therapy in patients with hypertension, aldosterone excess, and low plasma renin. Br Med J 1972; 2:729.
- Parthasarathy HK, Ménard J, White WB, et al. A double-blind, randomized study comparing the antihypertensive effect of eplerenone and spironolactone in patients with hypertension and evidence of primary aldosteronism. J Hypertens 2011; 29:980.
- Griffing GT, Cole AG, Aurecchia SA, et al. Amiloride in primary hyperaldosteronism. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1982; 31:56.
- Ganguly A, Weinberger MH. Triamterene-thiazide combination: alternative therapy for primary aldosteronism. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1981; 30:246.
- Blumenfeld JD, Sealey JE, Schlussel Y, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of primary hyperaldosteronism. Ann Intern Med 1994; 121:877.
- Sukor N, Gordon RD, Ku YK, et al. Role of unilateral adrenalectomy in bilateral primary aldosteronism: a 22-year single center experience. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009; 94:2437.
- Ahmed AH, Gordon RD, Sukor N, et al. Quality of life in patients with bilateral primary aldosteronism before and during treatment with spironolactone and/or amiloride, including a comparison with our previously published results in those with unilateral disease treated surgically. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 96:2904.
- GOALS OF THERAPY
- GENERAL PRINCIPLES
- Clinical Guidelines
- UNILATERAL ADRENAL ADENOMA OR HYPERPLASIA
- - Postoperative management
- - Effect on hypertension
- Ablative procedures
- Medical therapy
- - Aldosterone antagonists
- - Potassium-sparing diuretics
- - Suggested approach
- BILATERAL ADRENAL HYPERPLASIA
- Idiopathic adrenal hyperplasia
- Glucocorticoid-remediable aldosteronism
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS