Treatment of extranodal NK/T cell lymphoma, nasal type
- Kensei Tobinai, MD, PhD
Kensei Tobinai, MD, PhD
- Chief, Department of Hematology
- National Cancer Center Hospital
- Motoko Yamaguchi, MD, PhD
Motoko Yamaguchi, MD, PhD
- Assistant Professor, Department of Hematology and Oncology
- Mie University Graduate School of Medicine
The peripheral T cell lymphomas (PTCL) are a heterogeneous group of generally aggressive lymphoid neoplasms that constitute less than 15 percent of all non-Hodgkin lymphomas (NHLs) in adults [1-5]. (See "Classification of the hematopoietic neoplasms".)
Among these, in decreasing frequency of occurrence, are:
●Peripheral T cell lymphoma, not otherwise specified (NOS)
●Anaplastic large cell lymphoma, primary systemic type
●Angioimmunoblastic T cell lymphoma
- Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Stein H, et al. A revised European-American classification of lymphoid neoplasms: a proposal from the International Lymphoma Study Group. Blood 1994; 84:1361.
- Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Diebold J, et al. World Health Organization classification of neoplastic diseases of the hematopoietic and lymphoid tissues: report of the Clinical Advisory Committee meeting-Airlie House, Virginia, November 1997. J Clin Oncol 1999; 17:3835.
- Armitage JO, Weisenburger DD. New approach to classifying non-Hodgkin's lymphomas: clinical features of the major histologic subtypes. Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Classification Project. J Clin Oncol 1998; 16:2780.
- World Health Organization Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues, Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL (Eds), IARC Press, Lyon 2008.
- Rizvi MA, Evens AM, Tallman MS, et al. T-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Blood 2006; 107:1255.
- Suzuki R, Yamaguchi M, Izutsu K, et al. Prospective measurement of Epstein-Barr virus-DNA in plasma and peripheral blood mononuclear cells of extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type. Blood 2011; 118:6018.
- Wang ZY, Liu QF, Wang H, et al. Clinical implications of plasma Epstein-Barr virus DNA in early-stage extranodal nasal-type NK/T-cell lymphoma patients receiving primary radiotherapy. Blood 2012; 120:2003.
- Ooi GC, Chim CS, Liang R, et al. Nasal T-cell/natural killer cell lymphoma: CT and MR imaging features of a new clinicopathologic entity. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2000; 174:1141.
- Cheson BD, Pfistner B, Juweid ME, et al. Revised response criteria for malignant lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25:579.
- Kako S, Izutsu K, Ota Y, et al. FDG-PET in T-cell and NK-cell neoplasms. Ann Oncol 2007; 18:1685.
- Zhou X, Lu K, Geng L, et al. Utility of PET/CT in the diagnosis and staging of extranodal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Medicine (Baltimore) 2014; 93:e258.
- http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/nhl.pdf (Accessed on August 08, 2011).
- Dearden CE, Johnson R, Pettengell R, et al. Guidelines for the management of mature T-cell and NK-cell neoplasms (excluding cutaneous T-cell lymphoma). Br J Haematol 2011; 153:451.
- Au WY, Weisenburger DD, Intragumtornchai T, et al. Clinical differences between nasal and extranasal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma: a study of 136 cases from the International Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma Project. Blood 2009; 113:3931.
- Falini B, Pileri S, De Solas I, et al. Peripheral T-cell lymphoma associated with hemophagocytic syndrome. Blood 1990; 75:434.
- Okuda T, Sakamoto S, Deguchi T, et al. Hemophagocytic syndrome associated with aggressive natural killer cell leukemia. Am J Hematol 1991; 38:321.
- Isobe K, Uno T, Tamaru J, et al. Extranodal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type: the significance of radiotherapeutic parameters. Cancer 2006; 106:609.
- Li YX, Yao B, Jin J, et al. Radiotherapy as primary treatment for stage IE and IIE nasal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24:181.
- Yahalom J, Illidge T, Specht L, et al. Modern radiation therapy for extranodal lymphomas: field and dose guidelines from the International Lymphoma Radiation Oncology Group. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2015; 92:11.
- Huang MJ, Jiang Y, Liu WP, et al. Early or up-front radiotherapy improved survival of localized extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal-type in the upper aerodigestive tract. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008; 70:166.
- Yang Y, Zhu Y, Cao JZ, et al. Risk-adapted therapy for early-stage extranodal nasal-type NK/T-cell lymphoma: analysis from a multicenter study. Blood 2015; 126:1424.
- Cheung MM, Chan JK, Lau WH, et al. Primary non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the nose and nasopharynx: clinical features, tumor immunophenotype, and treatment outcome in 113 patients. J Clin Oncol 1998; 16:70.
- Cheung MM, Chan JK, Lau WH, et al. Early stage nasal NK/T-cell lymphoma: clinical outcome, prognostic factors, and the effect of treatment modality. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2002; 54:182.
- Ko YH, Ree HJ, Kim WS, et al. Clinicopathologic and genotypic study of extranodal nasal-type natural killer/T-cell lymphoma and natural killer precursor lymphoma among Koreans. Cancer 2000; 89:2106.
- Yamaguchi M, Tobinai K, Oguchi M, et al. Phase I/II study of concurrent chemoradiotherapy for localized nasal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma: Japan Clinical Oncology Group Study JCOG0211. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27:5594.
- Kim SJ, Kim K, Kim BS, et al. Phase II trial of concurrent radiation and weekly cisplatin followed by VIPD chemotherapy in newly diagnosed, stage IE to IIE, nasal, extranodal NK/T-Cell Lymphoma: Consortium for Improving Survival of Lymphoma study. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27:6027.
- Kim SJ, Yang DH, Kim JS, et al. Concurrent chemoradiotherapy followed by L-asparaginase-containing chemotherapy, VIDL, for localized nasal extranodal NK/T cell lymphoma: CISL08-01 phase II study. Ann Hematol 2014; 93:1895.
- Yamaguchi M, Tobinai K, Oguchi M, et al. Concurrent chemoradiotherapy for localized nasal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma: an updated analysis of the Japan clinical oncology group study JCOG0211. J Clin Oncol 2012; 30:4044.
- Sakata K, Fuwa N, Kodaira T, et al. Analyses of dose-response in radiotherapy for patients with mature T/NK-cell lymphomas according to the WHO classification. Radiother Oncol 2006; 79:179.
- Wang H, Li YX, Wang WH, et al. Mild toxicity and favorable prognosis of high-dose and extended involved-field intensity-modulated radiotherapy for patients with early-stage nasal NK/T-cell lymphoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2012; 82:1115.
- Yong W, Zheng W, Zhu J, et al. L-asparaginase in the treatment of refractory and relapsed extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type. Ann Hematol 2009; 88:647.
- Yong W. Clinical study of l-asparaginase in the treatment of extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type. Hematol Oncol 2016; 34:61.
- Yamaguchi M, Kwong YL, Kim WS, et al. Phase II study of SMILE chemotherapy for newly diagnosed stage IV, relapsed, or refractory extranodal natural killer (NK)/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type: the NK-Cell Tumor Study Group study. J Clin Oncol 2011; 29:4410.
- Suzuki R, Kwong Y, Maeda Y, et al. 5-year follow-up of the SMILE phase II study for newly-diagnosed stage IV, relapsed or refractory extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type (abstract 075). Hematol Oncol 2015; 33:100.
- Kwong YL, Kim WS, Lim ST, et al. SMILE for natural killer/T-cell lymphoma: analysis of safety and efficacy from the Asia Lymphoma Study Group. Blood 2012; 120:2973.
- Jaccard A, Petit B, Girault S, et al. L-asparaginase-based treatment of 15 western patients with extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma and leukemia and a review of the literature. Ann Oncol 2009; 20:110.
- Jaccard A, Gachard N, Marin B, et al. Efficacy of L-asparaginase with methotrexate and dexamethasone (AspaMetDex regimen) in patients with refractory or relapsing extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, a phase 2 study. Blood 2011; 117:1834.
- Lee J, Au WY, Park MJ, et al. Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in extranodal natural killer/T cell lymphoma: a multinational, multicenter, matched controlled study. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2008; 14:1356.
- Kim SJ, Oh SY, Hong JY, et al. When do we need central nervous system prophylaxis in patients with extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type? Ann Oncol 2010; 21:1058.
- Lee J, Suh C, Park YH, et al. Extranodal natural killer T-cell lymphoma, nasal-type: a prognostic model from a retrospective multicenter study. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24:612.
- Juweid ME, Stroobants S, Hoekstra OS, et al. Use of positron emission tomography for response assessment of lymphoma: consensus of the Imaging Subcommittee of International Harmonization Project in Lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25:571.
- Liang R. Advances in the management and monitoring of extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type. Br J Haematol 2009; 147:13.
- Ennishi D, Maeda Y, Fujii N, et al. Allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for advanced extranodal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma, nasal type. Leuk Lymphoma 2011; 52:1255.
- Tse E, Chan TS, Koh LP, et al. Allogeneic haematopoietic SCT for natural killer/T-cell lymphoma: a multicentre analysis from the Asia Lymphoma Study Group. Bone Marrow Transplant 2014; 49:902.
- PRETREATMENT EVALUATION
- INDUCTION THERAPY
- Localized disease
- Disseminated disease
- Central nervous system prophylaxis
- CONSOLIDATION THERAPY
- Autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation
- PATIENT FOLLOW-UP
- Response assessment
- Reconstructive surgery
- Surveillance for relapse
- TREATMENT OF RELAPSED OR REFRACTORY DISEASE
- CLINICAL TRIALS