Treatment of borderline personality disorder
- Andrew Skodol, MD
Andrew Skodol, MD
- Section Editor — Personality Disorders
- Research Professor of Psychiatry
- University of Arizona College of Medicine
Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is characterized as instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and emotions, and by impulsivity.
Patients with borderline personality disorder (BPD) often receive mental health treatment [1,2]. The disorder is more widely studied than any other personality disorder . Despite these efforts, patients with BPD continue to suffer considerable morbidity and mortality.
The treatment of BPD will be reviewed here. The epidemiology, clinical features, course, assessment, and diagnosis of BPD are discussed separately. The diagnosis and treatment of other personality disorders are also discussed separately. (See "Borderline personality disorder: Epidemiology, clinical features, course, assessment, and diagnosis" and "Personality disorders" and "Antisocial personality disorder: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, course and diagnosis" and "Treatment of antisocial personality disorder".)
First-line treatment for borderline personality disorder (BPD) is psychotherapy [4-6]. Psychotropic medications are used as adjuncts to psychotherapy, targeting specific BPD symptom clusters. Psychotherapies and medications with efficacy in BPD are described below.
Several psychotherapies have been developed or adapted to treat patients with borderline personality disorder, including :
- Bender DS, Skodol AE, Pagano ME, et al. Prospective assessment of treatment use by patients with personality disorders. Psychiatr Serv 2006; 57:254.
- Bender DS, Dolan RT, Skodol AE, et al. Treatment utilization by patients with personality disorders. Am J Psychiatry 2001; 158:295.
- Blashfield RK, Intoccia V. Growth of the literature on the topic of personality disorders. Am J Psychiatry 2000; 157:472.
- American Psychiatric Association Practice Guidelines. Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with borderline personality disorder. American Psychiatric Association. Am J Psychiatry 2001; 158:1.
- Paris J. The treatment of borderline personality disorder: implications of research on diagnosis, etiology, and outcome. Annu Rev Clin Psychol 2009; 5:277.
- National Collaborating Centre for Mental Health (UK). Borderline Personality Disorder: Treatment and Management, British Psychological Society, Leicester, UK 2009.
- Stoffers JM, Völlm BA, Rücker G, et al. Psychological therapies for people with borderline personality disorder. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; :CD005652.
- Linehan MM, Comtois KA, Murray AM, et al. Two-year randomized controlled trial and follow-up of dialectical behavior therapy vs therapy by experts for suicidal behaviors and borderline personality disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2006; 63:757.
- Giesen-Bloo J, van Dyck R, Spinhoven P, et al. Outpatient psychotherapy for borderline personality disorder: randomized trial of schema-focused therapy vs transference-focused psychotherapy. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2006; 63:649.
- Davidson K, Norrie J, Tyrer P, et al. The effectiveness of cognitive behavior therapy for borderline personality disorder: results from the borderline personality disorder study of cognitive therapy (BOSCOT) trial. J Pers Disord 2006; 20:450.
- Bateman A, Fonagy P. 8-year follow-up of patients treated for borderline personality disorder: mentalization-based treatment versus treatment as usual. Am J Psychiatry 2008; 165:631.
- Clarkin JF, Levy KN, Lenzenweger MF, Kernberg OF. Evaluating three treatments for borderline personality disorder: a multiwave study. Am J Psychiatry 2007; 164:922.
- Bateman A, Fonagy P. Randomized controlled trial of outpatient mentalization-based treatment versus structured clinical management for borderline personality disorder. Am J Psychiatry 2009; 166:1355.
- Bateman, A, Zanarini, MC. Personality disorders. In: Cambridge Textbook of Effective Treatments in Psychiatry, Tyrer, P, Silk, KR (Eds), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 2008. p.659.
- Friedel RO. Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified, Marlowe and Company, New York 2004.
- Reiland R. Get Me Out of Here: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder, Hazelden, Center City, MN 2004.
- Mason PT, Kreger R. Stop Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Care About Has Borderline Personality Disorder, New Harbinger Publications, Inc, Oakland, CA 1998.
- Understanding and Treating Borderline Personality Disorder: A Guide for Professionals and Families, Gunderson JG, Hoffman PD. (Eds), American Psychiatric Publishing, Arlington, VA 2005.
- Doering S, Hörz S, Rentrop M, et al. Transference-focused psychotherapy v. treatment by community psychotherapists for borderline personality disorder: randomised controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry 2010; 196:389.
- Gunderson JG, Links PS. Handbook of Good Psychiatric Management for Borderline Personality Disorder, American Psychiatric Press, Washington DC 2014.
- McMain SF, Links PS, Gnam WH, et al. A randomized trial of dialectical behavior therapy versus general psychiatric management for borderline personality disorder. Am J Psychiatry 2009; 166:1365.
- McMain SF, Guimond T, Streiner DL, et al. Dialectical behavior therapy compared with general psychiatric management for borderline personality disorder: clinical outcomes and functioning over a 2-year follow-up. Am J Psychiatry 2012; 169:650.
- Blum N, St John D, Pfohl B, et al. Systems Training for Emotional Predictability and Problem Solving (STEPPS) for outpatients with borderline personality disorder: a randomized controlled trial and 1-year follow-up. Am J Psychiatry 2008; 165:468.
- Weinberg I, Gunderson JG, Hennen J, Cutter CJ Jr. Manual assisted cognitive treatment for deliberate self-harm in borderline personality disorder patients. J Pers Disord 2006; 20:482.
- Cottraux J, Note ID, Boutitie F, et al. Cognitive therapy versus Rogerian supportive therapy in borderline personality disorder. Two-year follow-up of a controlled pilot study. Psychother Psychosom 2009; 78:307.
- Bellino S, Zizza M, Rinaldi C, Bogetto F. Combined therapy of major depression with concomitant borderline personality disorder: comparison of interpersonal and cognitive psychotherapy. Can J Psychiatry 2007; 52:718.
- Bos EH, van Wel EB, Appelo MT, Verbraak MJ. A randomized controlled trial of a Dutch version of systems training for emotional predictability and problem solving for borderline personality disorder. J Nerv Ment Dis 2010; 198:299.
- Farrell JM, Shaw IA, Webber MA. A schema-focused approach to group psychotherapy for outpatients with borderline personality disorder: a randomized controlled trial. J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry 2009; 40:317.
- Kendall, T, Pilling, S, Tyrer, P, et al. Borderline and antisocial personality disorders: summary of NICE recommendations. BMJ 2009; 338:293.
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. Borderline Personality Disorder: Treatment and Management. 2009. http://www.nice.org.uk/CG78 (Accessed on February 10, 2010).
- Nosè M, Cipriani A, Biancosino B, et al. Efficacy of pharmacotherapy against core traits of borderline personality disorder: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2006; 21:345.
- Ingenhoven T, Lafay P, Rinne T, et al. Effectiveness of pharmacotherapy for severe personality disorders: meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials. J Clin Psychiatry 2010; 71:14.
- Lieb K, Völlm B, Rücker G, et al. Pharmacotherapy for borderline personality disorder: Cochrane systematic review of randomised trials. Br J Psychiatry 2010; 196:4.
- Mercer D, Douglass AB, Links PS. Meta-analyses of mood stabilizers, antidepressants and antipsychotics in the treatment of borderline personality disorder: effectiveness for depression and anger symptoms. J Pers Disord 2009; 23:156.
- Herpertz SC, Zanarini M, Schulz CS, et al. World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry (WFSBP) guidelines for biological treatment of personality disorders. World J Biol Psychiatry 2007; 8:212.
- Zanarini MC, Frankenburg FR, Khera GS, Bleichmar J. Treatment histories of borderline inpatients. Compr Psychiatry 2001; 42:144.
- Silk KR. The quality of depression in borderline personality disorder and the diagnostic process. J Pers Disord 2010; 24:25.
- Feurino L 3rd, Silk KR. State of the art in the pharmacologic treatment of borderline personality disorder. Curr Psychiatry Rep 2011; 13:69.
- Silk KR. The process of managing medications in patients with borderline personality disorder. J Psychiatr Pract 2011; 17:311.
- Gunderson JG, Morey LC, Stout RL, et al. Major depressive disorder and borderline personality disorder revisited: longitudinal interactions. J Clin Psychiatry 2004; 65:1049.
- Ogden, T. Projective Identification and Therapeutic Technique, Jason Aronson, New York,1982.
- Zanarini MC, Vujanovic AA, Parachini EA, et al. Zanarini Rating Scale for Borderline Personality Disorder (ZAN-BPD): a continuous measure of DSM-IV borderline psychopathology. J Pers Disord 2003; 17:233.
- Common factors
- - Dialectical behavior therapy
- - Mentalization-based therapy
- - Transference-focused therapy
- - Good psychiatric management
- - Cognitive behavioral therapy
- - Systems Training for Emotional Predictability and Problem Solving (STEPPS)
- - Schema-focused therapy
- Overall efficacy
- Intensity and duration
- Comparing psychotherapies
- Therapy selection
- - Mood stabilizers
- - Antipsychotics
- - Antidepressants
- Side effects
- CLINICAL MANAGEMENT
- General principles
- Level of care
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS