Trachelectomy following supracervical hysterectomy
- Rosanne M Kho, MD
Rosanne M Kho, MD
- Assistant Professor
- Director, Division of Urogynecology
- Co-Director, MIGS Fellowship Program
- Columbia University Medical Center
- Javier F Magrina, MD
Javier F Magrina, MD
- Barbara Woodward Lipps Professor
- Division of Gynecologic Oncology
- Department of Gynecologic Surgery
- Mayo Clinic, AZ
Trachelectomy to remove the cervical stump after prior supracervical hysterectomy is typically performed to manage cervical symptoms or disease that develops postoperatively. In a series of 70 consecutive women who underwent supracervical hysterectomy, 17 (24 percent) subsequently reported symptoms such as cyclical bleeding, pelvic pain, and dyspareunia . Postoperative cyclical vaginal bleeding often results from residual endometrium and has been reported by 5 to 20 percent of patients randomized to supracervical hysterectomy in trials comparing subtotal versus total hysterectomy [2-4]. Pain and dyspareunia may be due to adhesions, cervical fibroid, or consequences of morcellation of the uterine body, which can result in painful myometrial implants and/or endometriosis .
This topic will review the indications for trachelectomy after supracervical hysterectomy, as well as techniques and possible complications. Radical trachelectomy performed as fertility sparing surgery in women with early stage cervical cancer is discussed separately. (See "Fertility-sparing surgery for cervical cancer".)
Trachelectomy is typically performed after prior supracervical hysterectomy to treat disease or symptoms referable to the cervical stump. It may also be performed in conjunction with other pelvic surgery (eg, oophorectomy, bowel resection). In the largest series of trachelectomy from a single institution (n = 310 cases from 1974 to 2003), the most common indications were :
●Prolapse (52 percent)
●Pelvic mass (25 percent)
- Okaro EO, Jones KD, Sutton C. Long term outcome following laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy. BJOG 2001; 108:1017.
- Thakar R, Ayers S, Clarkson P, et al. Outcomes after total versus subtotal abdominal hysterectomy. N Engl J Med 2002; 347:1318.
- Gimbel H, Zobbe V, Andersen BM, et al. Randomised controlled trial of total compared with subtotal hysterectomy with one-year follow up results. BJOG 2003; 110:1088.
- Learman LA, Summitt RL Jr, Varner RE, et al. A randomized comparison of total or supracervical hysterectomy: surgical complications and clinical outcomes. Obstet Gynecol 2003; 102:453.
- Hilger WS, Magrina JF. Removal of pelvic leiomyomata and endometriosis five years after supracervical hysterectomy. Obstet Gynecol 2006; 108:772.
- Hilger WS, Pizarro AR, Magrina JF. Removal of the retained cervical stump. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2005; 193:2117.
- Peruzzi WT, Candido KD. Respiratory care. In: Trauma: Critical Care, Wilson WC, Grande CM, Hoyt DB. (Eds), Informa Health Care USA Inc, New York 2007. Vol 2, p.492.
- Perrin M, Fletcher A. Laparoscopic abdominal surgery. Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain 2004; 4:107.
- Sheth SS. Vaginal excision of cervical stump. J Obstet Gynaecol 2000; 20:523.
- Margulies RU, Rogers MA, Morgan DM. Outcomes of transvaginal uterosacral ligament suspension: systematic review and metaanalysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2010; 202:124.
- Klauschie J, Wechter ME, Jacob K, et al. Use of anti-skid material and patient-positioning to prevent patient shifting during robotic-assisted gynecologic procedures. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2010; 17:504.
- Kho RM, Akl MN, Cornella JL, et al. Incidence and characteristics of patients with vaginal cuff dehiscence after robotic procedures. Obstet Gynecol 2009; 114:231.
- El-Zohairy MA. Trachelectomy: a review of 15 cases. J Egypt Natl Canc Inst 2010; 22:185.
- Parkar RB, Hassan MA, Otieno D, Baraza R. Laparoscopic Trachelectomy for Cervical Stump 'Carcinoma in situ'. J Gynecol Endosc Surg 2011; 2:58.
- Nezhat CH, Rogers JD. Robot-assisted laparoscopic trachelectomy after supracervical hysterectomy. Fertil Steril 2008; 90:850.e1.
- Nezhat CH, Nezhat F, Roemisch M, et al. Laparoscopic trachelectomy for persistent pelvic pain and endometriosis after supracervical hysterectomy. Fertil Steril 1996; 66:925.
- Pasley WW. Trachelectomy: a review of fifty-five cases. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1988; 159:728.