The pediatric physical examination: Chest and abdomen
- Jan E Drutz, MD
Jan E Drutz, MD
- Section Editor — General Pediatrics
- Professor of Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine
Examination of the chest and abdomen in children will be reviewed here. Other aspects of the pediatric physical examination are discussed separately.
- Appendix I: Pattern of malformation differential diagnosis by anomalies. In: Smith's Recognizable patterns of Human Malformation, 6th, Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia 2006. p.900.
- Lord MJ, Laurenzano KR, Hartmann RW Jr. Poland's syndrome. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 1990; 29:606.
- Barness LA. Manual of Pediatric Physical Diagnosis, 6th ed, Mosby, St. Louis 1991.
- Marshall WA, Tanner JM. Variations in pattern of pubertal changes in girls. Arch Dis Child 1969; 44:291.
- Marshall WA, Tanner JM. Variations in the pattern of pubertal changes in boys. Arch Dis Child 1970; 45:13.
- Jayasinghe Y, Cha R, Horn-Ommen J, et al. Establishment of normative data for the amount of breast tissue present in healthy children up to two years of age. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2010; 23:305.
- Kulin HE, Müller J. The biological aspects of puberty. Pediatr Rev 1996; 17:75.
- Braunstein GD. Diagnosis and treatment of gynecomastia. Hosp Pract (Off Ed) 1993; 28:37.
- Herman-Giddens ME, Slora EJ, Wasserman RC, et al. Secondary sexual characteristics and menses in young girls seen in office practice: a study from the Pediatric Research in Office Settings network. Pediatrics 1997; 99:505.
- Copeland KC. Variations in normal sexual development. Pediatr Rev 1986; 8:47.
- Rigatto H. Control of ventilation in the newborn. Annu Rev Physiol 1984; 46:661.
- Parrino TA. Hands on the heart: palpation of the cardiovascular system. Hosp Pract (Off Ed) 1989; 24:103.
- AH Robins Co. Physical examination of the abdomen [GI series], Robins, Richmond, VA 1974.
- Cattau EL Jr, Benjamin SB, Knuff TE, Castell DO. The accuracy of the physical examination in the diagnosis of suspected ascites. JAMA 1982; 247:1164.