The pediatric physical examination: Chest and abdomen
- Jan E Drutz, MD
Jan E Drutz, MD
- Section Editor — General Pediatrics
- Professor of Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine
Examination of the chest and abdomen in children will be reviewed here. Other aspects of the pediatric physical examination are discussed separately.To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Appendix I: Pattern of malformation differential diagnosis by anomalies. In: Smith's Recognizable patterns of Human Malformation, 6th, Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia 2006. p.900.
- Lord MJ, Laurenzano KR, Hartmann RW Jr. Poland's syndrome. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 1990; 29:606.
- Barness LA. Manual of Pediatric Physical Diagnosis, 6th ed, Mosby, St. Louis 1991.
- Marshall WA, Tanner JM. Variations in pattern of pubertal changes in girls. Arch Dis Child 1969; 44:291.
- Marshall WA, Tanner JM. Variations in the pattern of pubertal changes in boys. Arch Dis Child 1970; 45:13.
- Jayasinghe Y, Cha R, Horn-Ommen J, et al. Establishment of normative data for the amount of breast tissue present in healthy children up to two years of age. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2010; 23:305.
- Kulin HE, Müller J. The biological aspects of puberty. Pediatr Rev 1996; 17:75.
- Braunstein GD. Diagnosis and treatment of gynecomastia. Hosp Pract (Off Ed) 1993; 28:37.
- Herman-Giddens ME, Slora EJ, Wasserman RC, et al. Secondary sexual characteristics and menses in young girls seen in office practice: a study from the Pediatric Research in Office Settings network. Pediatrics 1997; 99:505.
- Copeland KC. Variations in normal sexual development. Pediatr Rev 1986; 8:47.
- Rigatto H. Control of ventilation in the newborn. Annu Rev Physiol 1984; 46:661.
- Parrino TA. Hands on the heart: palpation of the cardiovascular system. Hosp Pract (Off Ed) 1989; 24:103.
- AH Robins Co. Physical examination of the abdomen [GI series], Robins, Richmond, VA 1974.
- Cattau EL Jr, Benjamin SB, Knuff TE, Castell DO. The accuracy of the physical examination in the diagnosis of suspected ascites. JAMA 1982; 247:1164.