The effect of sleep in patients with neuromuscular and chest wall disorders
- Robert C Basner, MD
Robert C Basner, MD
- Professor of Medicine
- Columbia University Medical Center
- Section Editors
- Jeremy M Shefner, MD, PhD
Jeremy M Shefner, MD, PhD
- Section Editor — Neuromuscular Disease
- Professor and Chair of Neurology, Barrow Neurological Institute
- Professor of Neurology, University of Arizona, Phoenix
- Clinical Professor of Neurology, Creighton University
- M Safwan Badr, MD
M Safwan Badr, MD
- Section Editor — Sleep Related Breathing Disorders
- Professor and Chief, Pulmonary Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
- Wayne State University School of Medicine
Physiologic alterations during normal sleep are clinically insignificant in most adults, but can induce hypoventilation and hypoxemia in patients with neuromuscular and chest wall disorders, who characteristically have challenged ventilation when awake due to one or more of the following: perturbed lung and chest wall mechanics, respiratory muscle weakness, chemoreceptor sensitivity abnormality, and blunted central neural output ("drive to breathe"). In this topic review, the following issues are discussed:
●Normal sleep-related physiologic alterations that affect ventilation, with special attention given to their impact on patients with neuromuscular or chest wall disorders. (See 'Ventilation' below.)
●Sleep-related alterations in blood gases, with special attention on the differences between healthy adults and patients with neuromuscular or chest wall disorders. (See 'Blood gases' below.)
●The major points of this topic review. (See 'Summary and recommendations' below.)
Evaluation and treatment of sleep-disordered breathing in patients with neuromuscular or chest wall disorders are reviewed separately. (See "Evaluation of sleep-disordered breathing in patients with neuromuscular and chest wall disease" and "Types of noninvasive nocturnal ventilatory support in neuromuscular and chest wall disease".)
- Baydur A. Respiratory muscle strength and control of ventilation in patients with neuromuscular disease. Chest 1991; 99:330.
- Tantucci C, Massucci M, Piperno R, et al. Control of breathing and respiratory muscle strength in patients with multiple sclerosis. Chest 1994; 105:1163.
- Gibson GJ, Pride NB, Davis JN, Loh LC. Pulmonary mechanics in patients with respiratory muscle weakness. Am Rev Respir Dis 1977; 115:389.
- De Troyer A, Heilporn A. Respiratory mechanics in quadriplegia. The respiratory function of the intercostal muscles. Am Rev Respir Dis 1980; 122:591.
- Estenne M, Heilporn A, Delhez L, et al. Chest wall stiffness in patients with chronic respiratory muscle weakness. Am Rev Respir Dis 1983; 128:1002.
- Lopes JM, Tabachnik E, Muller NL, et al. Total airway resistance and respiratory muscle activity during sleep. J Appl Physiol Respir Environ Exerc Physiol 1983; 54:773.
- Tabachnik E, Muller NL, Bryan AC, Levison H. Changes in ventilation and chest wall mechanics during sleep in normal adolescents. J Appl Physiol Respir Environ Exerc Physiol 1981; 51:557.
- Tusiewicz K, Moldofsky H, Bryan AC, Bryan MH. Mechanics of the rib cage and diaphragm during sleep. J Appl Physiol Respir Environ Exerc Physiol 1977; 43:600.
- Johnson MW, Remmers JE. Accessory muscle activity during sleep in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Appl Physiol Respir Environ Exerc Physiol 1984; 57:1011.
- Henke KG, Dempsey JA, Kowitz JM, Skatrud JB. Effects of sleep-induced increases in upper airway resistance on ventilation. J Appl Physiol (1985) 1990; 69:617.
- Henke KG, Dempsey JA, Badr MS, et al. Effect of sleep-induced increases in upper airway resistance on respiratory muscle activity. J Appl Physiol (1985) 1991; 70:158.
- Henke KG, Badr MS, Skatrud JB, Dempsey JA. Load compensation and respiratory muscle function during sleep. J Appl Physiol (1985) 1992; 72:1221.
- Hudgel DW, Martin RJ, Johnson B, Hill P. Mechanics of the respiratory system and breathing pattern during sleep in normal humans. J Appl Physiol Respir Environ Exerc Physiol 1984; 56:133.
- Hudgel DW, Mulholland M, Hendricks C. Neuromuscular and mechanical responses to inspiratory resistive loading during sleep. J Appl Physiol (1985) 1987; 63:603.
- Kay A, Trinder J, Kim Y. Individual differences in relationship between upper airway resistance and ventilation during sleep onset. J Appl Physiol (1985) 1995; 79:411.
- Mezzanotte WS, Tangel DJ, White DP. Waking genioglossal electromyogram in sleep apnea patients versus normal controls (a neuromuscular compensatory mechanism). J Clin Invest 1992; 89:1571.
- Iber C, Berssenbrugge A, Skatrud JB, Dempsey JA. Ventilatory adaptations to resistive loading during wakefulness and non-REM sleep. J Appl Physiol Respir Environ Exerc Physiol 1982; 52:607.
- Wiegand L, Zwillich CW, White DP. Sleep and the ventilatory response to resistive loading in normal men. J Appl Physiol (1985) 1988; 64:1186.
- Berthon-Jones M, Sullivan CE. Ventilatory and arousal responses to hypoxia in sleeping humans. Am Rev Respir Dis 1982; 125:632.
- Douglas NJ, White DP, Weil JV, et al. Hypoxic ventilatory response decreases during sleep in normal men. Am Rev Respir Dis 1982; 125:286.
- White DP, Douglas NJ, Pickett CK, et al. Hypoxic ventilatory response during sleep in normal premenopausal women. Am Rev Respir Dis 1982; 126:530.
- Douglas NJ, White DP, Weil JV, et al. Hypercapnic ventilatory response in sleeping adults. Am Rev Respir Dis 1982; 126:758.
- Berthon-Jones M, Sullivan CE. Ventilation and arousal responses to hypercapnia in normal sleeping humans. J Appl Physiol Respir Environ Exerc Physiol 1984; 57:59.
- White DP. Occlusion pressure and ventilation during sleep in normal humans. J Appl Physiol (1985) 1986; 61:1279.
- Douglas NJ. Control of ventilation during sleep. In: Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, 2nd ed, Kryger MH, Dement WC (Eds), WB Saunders, Philadelphia 1994. p.204.
- Skatrud JB, Henke KG, Dempsey J. A sleep-induced apneic threshold. In: Sleep and Respiration, Wiley-Liss, Inc, 1990. p.191.
- Skatrud JB, Dempsey JA. Interaction of sleep state and chemical stimuli in sustaining rhythmic ventilation. J Appl Physiol Respir Environ Exerc Physiol 1983; 55:813.
- Dempsey JA, Skatrud JB. A sleep-induced apneic threshold and its consequences. Am Rev Respir Dis 1986; 133:1163.
- Krieger J. Breathing during sleep in normal subjects. In: Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, 2nd ed, Kryger MH, Dement WC (Eds), WB Saunders, Philadelphia 1994. p.212.
- Bates, DV. Altered physiologic states and associated syndromes. In: Respiratory Function in Disease, 3rd ed, WB Saunders, Philadelphia 1989. p.81.
- Hukins CA, Hillman DR. Daytime predictors of sleep hypoventilation in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 161:166.
- Becker HF, Piper AJ, Flynn WE, et al. Breathing during sleep in patients with nocturnal desaturation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999; 159:112.
- Bourke SC, Tomlinson M, Williams TL, et al. Effects of non-invasive ventilation on survival and quality of life in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Neurol 2006; 5:140.
- Misuri G, Lanini B, Gigliotti F, et al. Mechanism of CO(2) retention in patients with neuromuscular disease. Chest 2000; 117:447.
- Annane D, Quera-Salva MA, Lofaso F, et al. Mechanisms underlying effects of nocturnal ventilation on daytime blood gases in neuromuscular diseases. Eur Respir J 1999; 13:157.
- Hill NS, Eveloff SE, Carlisle CC, Goff SG. Efficacy of nocturnal nasal ventilation in patients with restrictive thoracic disease. Am Rev Respir Dis 1992; 145:365.
- White DP, Douglas NJ, Pickett CK, et al. Sleep deprivation and the control of ventilation. Am Rev Respir Dis 1983; 128:984.
- Spengler CM, Shea SA. Sleep deprivation per se does not decrease the hypercapnic ventilatory response in humans. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 161:1124.
- Espinoza H, Thornton AT, Sharp D, et al. Sleep fragmentation and ventilatory responsiveness to hypercapnia. Am Rev Respir Dis 1991; 144:1121.
- Monteiro R, Bento J, Gonçalves MR, et al. Genetics correlates with lung function and nocturnal ventilation in myotonic dystrophy. Sleep Breath 2013; 17:1087.