T cell receptor genetics
- Francisco A Bonilla, MD, PhD
Francisco A Bonilla, MD, PhD
- Section Editor — Immunology and Immunodeficiency
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
- Harvard Medical School
The genetics of the T cell receptor (TCR) and the process of assembly of mature TCR genes from gene segments during T cell development in the thymus are discussed here. T cell development and the cellular immune response are reviewed separately (see "Normal B and T lymphocyte development" and "The adaptive cellular immune response"). The International Immunogenetics Information System website is a website devoted to immunogenetics .
T CELL RECEPTOR
There are two types of TCRs (see "Normal B and T lymphocyte development"):
●The majority (85 percent or more) of peripheral blood T cells bear a heterodimeric receptor made of two chains called alpha and beta (figure 1). This form of the TCR is also called TCR2.
●The minority of circulating T cells bear a different type of TCR made up of two chains, called gamma and delta (TCR1). However, T cells expressing TCR1 may predominate in some tissues (eg, intestinal mucosa).
As with immunoglobulins, each TCR chain is encoded by multiple rearranging gene segments. The rearrangement process leads to diversification of the assembled genes through differences in the manner in which gene segments are joined in each cell undergoing its own unique rearrangement events. (See "Structure of immunoglobulins".)
- Giudicelli V, Chaume D, Lefranc MP. IMGT/GENE-DB: a comprehensive database for human and mouse immunoglobulin and T cell receptor genes. Nucleic Acids Res 2005; 33:D256.
- Marrack P, Rubtsova K, Scott-Browne J, Kappler JW. T cell receptor specificity for major histocompatibility complex proteins. Curr Opin Immunol 2008; 20:203.
- Koop BF, Rowen L, Wang K, et al. The human T-cell receptor TCRAC/TCRDC (C alpha/C delta) region: organization, sequence, and evolution of 97.6 kb of DNA. Genomics 1994; 19:478.
- Arden B, Clark SP, Kabelitz D, Mak TW. Human T-cell receptor variable gene segment families. Immunogenetics 1995; 42:455.
- Yoshikai Y, Clark SP, Taylor S, et al. Organization and sequences of the variable, joining and constant region genes of the human T-cell receptor alpha-chain. Nature 1985; 316:837.
- Rowen L, Koop BF, Hood L. The complete 685-kilobase DNA sequence of the human beta T cell receptor locus. Science 1996; 272:1755.
- Tunnacliffe A, Rabbitts TH. Sequence of the D beta 2-J beta 2 region of the human T-cell receptor beta-chain locus. Nucleic Acids Res 1985; 13:6651.
- Wei S, Charmley P, Robinson MA, Concannon P. The extent of the human germline T-cell receptor V beta gene segment repertoire. Immunogenetics 1994; 40:27.
- Leiden JM. Transcriptional regulation of T cell receptor genes. Annu Rev Immunol 1993; 11:539.
- LeFranc MP, Forster A, Baer R, et al. Diversity and rearrangement of the human T cell rearranging gamma genes: nine germ-line variable genes belonging to two subgroups. Cell 1986; 45:237.
- Buresi C, Ghanem N, Huck S, et al. Exon duplication and triplication in the human T-cell receptor gamma constant region genes and RFLP in French, Lebanese, Tunisian, and black African populations. Immunogenetics 1989; 29:161.
- Zhang XM, Cathala G, Soua Z, et al. The human T-cell receptor gamma variable pseudogene V10 is a distinctive marker of human speciation. Immunogenetics 1996; 43:196.
- Huck S, Lefranc MP. Rearrangements to the JP1, JP and JP2 segments in the human T-cell rearranging gamma gene (TRG gamma) locus. FEBS Lett 1987; 224:291.
- Huck S, Dariavach P, Lefranc MP. Variable region genes in the human T-cell rearranging gamma (TRG) locus: V-J junction and homology with the mouse genes. EMBO J 1988; 7:719.
- Satyanarayana K, Hata S, Devlin P, et al. Genomic organization of the human T-cell antigen-receptor alpha/delta locus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1988; 85:8166.
- Loh EY, Cwirla S, Serafini AT, et al. Human T-cell-receptor delta chain: genomic organization, diversity, and expression in populations of cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1988; 85:9714.
- Takihara Y, Tkachuk D, Michalopoulos E, et al. Sequence and organization of the diversity, joining, and constant region genes of the human T-cell delta-chain locus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1988; 85:6097.
- Mackelprang R, Livingston RJ, Eberle MA, et al. Sequence diversity, natural selection and linkage disequilibrium in the human T cell receptor alpha/delta locus. Hum Genet 2006; 119:255.
- Krangel MS. Mechanics of T cell receptor gene rearrangement. Curr Opin Immunol 2009; 21:133.
- Krangel MS, Hernandez-Munain C, Lauzurica P, et al. Developmental regulation of V(D)J recombination at the TCR alpha/delta locus. Immunol Rev 1998; 165:131.
- Tillman RE, Wooley AL, Hughes MM, et al. Regulation of T-cell receptor beta-chain gene assembly by recombination signals: the beyond 12/23 restriction. Immunol Rev 2004; 200:36.
- Lipkowitz S, Stern MH, Kirsch IR. Hybrid T cell receptor genes formed by interlocus recombination in normal and ataxia-telangiectasis lymphocytes. J Exp Med 1990; 172:409.
- Fehling HJ, Krotkova A, Saint-Ruf C, von Boehmer H. Crucial role of the pre-T-cell receptor alpha gene in development of alpha beta but not gamma delta T cells. Nature 1995; 375:795.
- O'Shea CC, Thornell AP, Rosewell IR, et al. Exit of the pre-TCR from the ER/cis-Golgi is necessary for signaling differentiation, proliferation, and allelic exclusion in immature thymocytes. Immunity 1997; 7:591.
- Padovan E, Casorati G, Dellabona P, et al. Expression of two T cell receptor alpha chains: dual receptor T cells. Science 1993; 262:422.
- Dion ML, Sékaly RP, Cheynier R. Estimating thymic function through quantification of T-cell receptor excision circles. Methods Mol Biol 2007; 380:197.
- Nikolich-Zugich J, Slifka MK, Messaoudi I. The many important facets of T-cell repertoire diversity. Nat Rev Immunol 2004; 4:123.
- Petrie HT, Livak F, Schatz DG, et al. Multiple rearrangements in T cell receptor alpha chain genes maximize the production of useful thymocytes. J Exp Med 1993; 178:615.
- McMahan CJ, Fink PJ. RAG reexpression and DNA recombination at T cell receptor loci in peripheral CD4+ T cells. Immunity 1998; 9:637.
- Lantelme E, Orlando L, Porcedda P, et al. An in vitro model of T cell receptor revision in mature human CD8+ T cells. Mol Immunol 2008; 45:328.
- Arstila TP, Casrouge A, Baron V, et al. A direct estimate of the human alphabeta T cell receptor diversity. Science 1999; 286:958.
- Turner SJ, La Gruta NL, Kedzierska K, et al. Functional implications of T cell receptor diversity. Curr Opin Immunol 2009; 21:286.