Systemic treatment of recurrent meningioma
- Patrick Y Wen, MD
Patrick Y Wen, MD
- Section Editor — Neurooncology
- Professor of Neurology
- Harvard Medical School
Meningiomas account for approximately one-third of primary central nervous system tumors (table 1 and figure 1). Surgery and/or radiation therapy (RT) constitutes the initial therapeutic approach. Furthermore, surgery and/or RT are able to control disease in some patients with recurrence.
Despite the appropriate use of surgery and RT for initial management and management of recurrent disease, there is a subset of patients in whom disease cannot be controlled with these approaches. Experience with systemic therapy is limited, and most data are from observational studies. Although a number of agents have been studied, none have an established role in prolonging progression-free or overall survival .
The available data for systemic therapy is reviewed here. Topics dealing with other aspects of meningioma management include:
- Norden AD, Drappatz J, Wen PY. Advances in meningioma therapy. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 2009; 9:231.
- Wen PY, Quant E, Drappatz J, et al. Medical therapies for meningiomas. J Neurooncol 2010; 99:365.
- Koide SS. Mifepristone. Auxiliary therapeutic use in cancer and related disorders. J Reprod Med 1998; 43:551.
- Grunberg SM, Weiss MH, Spitz IM, et al. Treatment of unresectable meningiomas with the antiprogesterone agent mifepristone. J Neurosurg 1991; 74:861.
- Grunberg SM, Weiss MH, Russell CA, et al. Long-term administration of mifepristone (RU486): clinical tolerance during extended treatment of meningioma. Cancer Invest 2006; 24:727.
- Grunberg SM, Rankin C, Townsend J. Phase III double-blind randomized placebo-controlled study of mifepristone (RU) for the treatment of unresectable meningioma. Proc Am Soc Clinical Oncol 2001; 20:56a.
- Goodwin JW, Crowley J, Eyre HJ, et al. A phase II evaluation of tamoxifen in unresectable or refractory meningiomas: a Southwest Oncology Group study. J Neurooncol 1993; 15:75.
- Markwalder TM, Seiler RW, Zava DT. Antiestrogenic therapy of meningiomas--a pilot study. Surg Neurol 1985; 24:245.
- Swinnen LJ, Rankin C, Rushing EJ. Southwest Oncology Group S9811: a phase II study of hydroxyurea for unresectable meningioma. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27:15s.
- Chamberlain MC, Tsao-Wei DD, Groshen S. Temozolomide for treatment-resistant recurrent meningioma. Neurology 2004; 62:1210.
- Chamberlain MC. Adjuvant combined modality therapy for malignant meningiomas. J Neurosurg 1996; 84:733.
- Koper JW, Zwarthoff EC, Hagemeijer A, et al. Inhibition of the growth of cultured human meningioma cells by recombinant interferon-alpha. Eur J Cancer 1991; 27:416.
- Kaba SE, DeMonte F, Bruner JM, et al. The treatment of recurrent unresectable and malignant meningiomas with interferon alpha-2B. Neurosurgery 1997; 40:271.
- Muhr C, Gudjonsson O, Lilja A, et al. Meningioma treated with interferon-alpha, evaluated with [(11)C]-L-methionine positron emission tomography. Clin Cancer Res 2001; 7:2269.
- Chamberlain MC, Glantz MJ. Interferon-alpha for recurrent World Health Organization grade 1 intracranial meningiomas. Cancer 2008; 113:2146.
- García-Luna PP, Relimpio F, Pumar A, et al. Clinical use of octreotide in unresectable meningiomas. A report of three cases. J Neurosurg Sci 1993; 37:237.
- Rünzi MW, Jaspers C, Windeck R, et al. Treatment of meningioma with octreotide. Lancet 1989; 2:217.
- Jaffrain-Rea ML, Minniti G, Santoro A, et al. Visual improvement during octreotide therapy in a case of episellar meningioma. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 1998; 100:40.
- Chamberlain MC, Glantz MJ, Fadul CE. Recurrent meningioma: salvage therapy with long-acting somatostatin analogue. Neurology 2007; 69:969.
- Simó M, Argyriou AA, Macià M, et al. Recurrent high-grade meningioma: a phase II trial with somatostatin analogue therapy. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2014; 73:919.
- Norden AD, Ligon KL, Hammond SN, et al. Phase II study of monthly pasireotide LAR (SOM230C) for recurrent or progressive meningioma. Neurology 2015; 84:280.
- Wen PY, Yung WK, Lamborn KR, et al. Phase II study of imatinib mesylate for recurrent meningiomas (North American Brain Tumor Consortium study 01-08). Neuro Oncol 2009; 11:853.
- Reardon DA, Norden AD, Desjardins A, et al. Phase II study of Gleevec® plus hydroxyurea (HU) in adults with progressive or recurrent meningioma. J Neurooncol 2012; 106:409.
- Norden AD, Raizer JJ, Abrey LE, et al. Phase II trials of erlotinib or gefitinib in patients with recurrent meningioma. J Neurooncol 2010; 96:211.
- Lou E, Sumrall AL, Turner S, et al. Bevacizumab therapy for adults with recurrent/progressive meningioma: a retrospective series. J Neurooncol 2012; 109:63.
- Nayak L, Iwamoto FM, Rudnick JD, et al. Atypical and anaplastic meningiomas treated with bevacizumab. J Neurooncol 2012; 109:187.
- Kaley TJ, Wen P, Schiff D, et al. Phase II trial of sunitinib for recurrent and progressive atypical and anaplastic meningioma. Neuro Oncol 2015; 17:116.
- Raizer JJ, Grimm SA, Rademaker A, et al. A phase II trial of PTK787/ZK 222584 in recurrent or progressive radiation and surgery refractory meningiomas. J Neurooncol 2014; 117:93.
- Brastianos PK, Horowitz PM, Santagata S, et al. Genomic sequencing of meningiomas identifies oncogenic SMO and AKT1 mutations. Nat Genet 2013; 45:285.
- Clark VE, Erson-Omay EZ, Serin A, et al. Genomic analysis of non-NF2 meningiomas reveals mutations in TRAF7, KLF4, AKT1, and SMO. Science 2013; 339:1077.
- Du Z, Abedalthagafi M, Aizer AA, et al. Increased expression of the immune modulatory molecule PD-L1 (CD274) in anaplastic meningioma. Oncotarget 2015; 6:4704.