UpToDate
Official reprint from UpToDate®
www.uptodate.com ©2017 UpToDate, Inc. and/or its affiliates. All Rights Reserved.

Medline ® Abstract for Reference 102

of 'Systemic chemotherapy for metastatic colorectal cancer: Completed clinical trials'

102
TI
XELOX (capecitabine plus oxaliplatin) as first-line treatment for elderly patients over 70 years of age with advanced colorectal cancer.
AU
Feliu J, Salud A, Escudero P, Lopez-Gómez L, Bolaños M, Galán A, Vicent JM, Yubero A, Losa F, De Castro J, de Mon MA, Casado E, González-Barón M
SO
Br J Cancer. 2006;94(7):969.
 
The purpose of this phase II trial was to determine the efficacy and safety of the XELOX (capecitabine/oxaliplatin) regimen as first-line therapy in the elderly patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (MCRC). A total of 50 patients with MCRC aged>or = 70 years received oxaliplatin 130 mg m(-2) on day 1 followed by oral capecitabine 1000 mg m(-2) twice daily on days 1-14 every 3 weeks. Patients with creatinine clearance 30-50 ml min(-1) received a reduced dose of capecitabine (750 mg m(-2) twice daily). By intent-to-treat analysis, the overall response rate was 36% (95% CI, 28-49%), with three (6%) complete and 15 (30%) partial responses. In total, 18 patients (36%) had stable disease and 14 (28%) progressed. The median times to disease progression and overall survival were 5.8 months (95% CI, 3.9-7.8 months) and 13.2 months (95% CI, 7.6-16.9 months), respectively. Capecitabine was well tolerated: grade 3/4 adverse events were observed in 14 (28%) patients: 11 (22%) diarrhoea, eight (16%) asthenia, seven (14%) nausea/vomiting, three (6%) neutropenia, three (6%) thrombocytopenia, and two (4%) hand-foot syndrome. There was one treatment-related death from diarrhoea and sepsis. Inconclusion, XELOX is well tolerated in elderly patients, with respectable efficacy and a meaningful clinical benefit response. Given its ease of administration compared with combinations of oxaliplatin with 5-FU/LV, it represents a good therapeutic option in the elderly.
AD
Service of Medical Oncology, H La Paz, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Paseo de la Castellana 261, Madrid 28046, Spain. jfeliu.hulp@salud.madrid.org
PMID