Subdural hematoma in adults: Prognosis and management
- William McBride, MD
William McBride, MD
- Clinical Assistant Professor
- Department of Internal Medicine
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Subdural hematoma (SDH) and epidural hematoma are characterized by bleeding into the spaces surrounding the brain.
●Subdural hematomas form between the dura and the arachnoid membranes
●Epidural hematomas arise in the potential space between the dura and the skull
The prognosis and management of SDH will be discussed here. Other aspects of SDH are reviewed separately. (See "Subdural hematoma in adults: Etiology, clinical features, and diagnosis".)
Epidural hematoma is discussed elsewhere. (See "Intracranial epidural hematoma in adults".)To continue reading this article, you must log in with your personal, hospital, or group practice subscription. For more information on subscription options, click below on the option that best describes you:
- Haselsberger K, Pucher R, Auer LM. Prognosis after acute subdural or epidural haemorrhage. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1988; 90:111.
- Bullock MR, Chesnut R, Ghajar J, et al. Surgical management of acute subdural hematomas. Neurosurgery 2006; 58:S16.
- Hatashita S, Koga N, Hosaka Y, Takagi S. Acute subdural hematoma: severity of injury, surgical intervention, and mortality. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 1993; 33:13.
- Zumkeller M, Behrmann R, Heissler HE, Dietz H. Computed tomographic criteria and survival rate for patients with acute subdural hematoma. Neurosurgery 1996; 39:708.
- Koç RK, Akdemir H, Oktem IS, et al. Acute subdural hematoma: outcome and outcome prediction. Neurosurg Rev 1997; 20:239.
- Servadei F, Nasi MT, Cremonini AM, et al. Importance of a reliable admission Glasgow Coma Scale score for determining the need for evacuation of posttraumatic subdural hematomas: a prospective study of 65 patients. J Trauma 1998; 44:868.
- Gennarelli TA, Spielman GM, Langfitt TW, et al. Influence of the type of intracranial lesion on outcome from severe head injury. J Neurosurg 1982; 56:26.
- Kotwica Z, Brzeziński J. Acute subdural haematoma in adults: an analysis of outcome in comatose patients. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1993; 121:95.
- Hlatky R, Valadka AB, Goodman JC, Robertson CS. Evolution of brain tissue injury after evacuation of acute traumatic subdural hematomas. Neurosurgery 2004; 55:1318.
- Servadei F, Nasi MT, Giuliani G, et al. CT prognostic factors in acute subdural haematomas: the value of the 'worst' CT scan. Br J Neurosurg 2000; 14:110.
- Howard MA 3rd, Gross AS, Dacey RG Jr, Winn HR. Acute subdural hematomas: an age-dependent clinical entity. J Neurosurg 1989; 71:858.
- van den Brink WA, Zwienenberg M, Zandee SM, et al. The prognostic importance of the volume of traumatic epidural and subdural haematomas revisited. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1999; 141:509.
- Seelig JM, Becker DP, Miller JD, et al. Traumatic acute subdural hematoma: major mortality reduction in comatose patients treated within four hours. N Engl J Med 1981; 304:1511.
- Wilberger JE Jr, Harris M, Diamond DL. Acute subdural hematoma: morbidity, mortality, and operative timing. J Neurosurg 1991; 74:212.
- Sakas DE, Bullock MR, Teasdale GM. One-year outcome following craniotomy for traumatic hematoma in patients with fixed dilated pupils. J Neurosurg 1995; 82:961.
- Massaro F, Lanotte M, Faccani G, Triolo C. One hundred and twenty-seven cases of acute subdural haematoma operated on. Correlation between CT scan findings and outcome. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1996; 138:185.
- Uzan M, Yentür E, Hanci M, et al. Is it possible to recover from uncal herniation? Analysis of 71 head injured cases. J Neurosurg Sci 1998; 42:89.
- Dent DL, Croce MA, Menke PG, et al. Prognostic factors after acute subdural hematoma. J Trauma 1995; 39:36.
- Mathew P, Oluoch-Olunya DL, Condon BR, Bullock R. Acute subdural haematoma in the conscious patient: outcome with initial non-operative management. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1993; 121:100.
- Wong CW. Criteria for conservative treatment of supratentorial acute subdural haematomas. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1995; 135:38.
- Givner A, Gurney J, O'Connor D, et al. Reimaging in pediatric neurotrauma: factors associated with progression of intracranial injury. J Pediatr Surg 2002; 37:381.
- Oertel M, Kelly DF, McArthur D, et al. Progressive hemorrhage after head trauma: predictors and consequences of the evolving injury. J Neurosurg 2002; 96:109.
- Parlato C, Guarracino A, Moraci A. Spontaneous resolution of chronic subdural hematoma. Surg Neurol 2000; 53:312.
- Mayer, S, Rowland, L. Head injury. In: Merritt's Neurology, Rowland, L (Ed), Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia 2000. p.401.
- Santarius T, Kirkpatrick PJ, Ganesan D, et al. Use of drains versus no drains after burr-hole evacuation of chronic subdural haematoma: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2009; 374:1067.
- Victor, M, Ropper, A. Craniocerebral trauma. In: Adams and Victor's Principles of Neurology, 7th ed, Victor, M, Ropper, A (Eds), McGraw-Hill, New York 2001 p.925.
- Lee JY, Ebel H, Ernestus RI, Klug N. Various surgical treatments of chronic subdural hematoma and outcome in 172 patients: is membranectomy necessary? Surg Neurol 2004; 61:523.
- Moon HG, Shin HS, Kim TH, et al. Ossified chronic subdural hematoma. Yonsei Med J 2003; 44:915.
- Singla A, Jacobsen WP, Yusupov IR, Carter DA. Subdural evacuating port system (SEPS)--minimally invasive approach to the management of chronic/subacute subdural hematomas. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2013; 115:425.
- Safain M, Roguski M, Antoniou A, et al. A single center's experience with the bedside subdural evacuating port system: a useful alternative to traditional methods for chronic subdural hematoma evacuation. J Neurosurg 2013; 118:694.
- Cartmill M, Dolan G, Byrne JL, Byrne PO. Prothrombin complex concentrate for oral anticoagulant reversal in neurosurgical emergencies. Br J Neurosurg 2000; 14:458.
- Vigué B, Ract C, Tremey B, et al. Ultra-rapid management of oral anticoagulant therapy-related surgical intracranial hemorrhage. Intensive Care Med 2007; 33:721.
- Siddiq F, Jalil A, McDaniel C, et al. Effectiveness of Factor IX complex concentrate in reversing warfarin associated coagulopathy for intracerebral hemorrhage. Neurocrit Care 2008; 8:36.
- Maiuri F, Iaconetta G, Sardo L, Briganti F. Dural arteriovenous malformation associated with recurrent subdural haematoma and intracranial hypertension. Br J Neurosurg 2001; 15:273.
- Mizuno J, Mummaneni PV, Rodts GE, Barrow DL. Recurrent subdural hematoma caused by cerebrospinal fluid leakage. Case report. J Neurosurg Spine 2006; 4:183.
- García-Morales I, Porta-Etessam J, Galán L, et al. Recurrent subdural haematomas in a patient with spontaneous intracranial hypotension. Cephalalgia 2001; 21:703.
- Schievink WI, Maya MM, Pikul BK, Louy C. Spontaneous spinal cerebrospinal fluid leaks as the cause of subdural hematomas in elderly patients on anticoagulation. J Neurosurg 2010; 112:295.
- Santarius T, Qureshi HU, Sivakumaran R, et al. The role of external drains and peritoneal conduits in the treatment of recurrent chronic subdural hematoma. World Neurosurg 2010; 73:747.
- Carlsen JG, Cortnum S, Sørensen JC. Recurrence of chronic subdural haematomata with and without post-operative drainage. Br J Neurosurg 2011; 25:388.
- Yu GJ, Han CZ, Zhang M, et al. Prolonged drainage reduces the recurrence of chronic subdural hematoma. Br J Neurosurg 2009; 23:606.
- Escosa Baé M, Wessling H, Salca HC, de Las Heras Echeverría P. Use of twist-drill craniostomy with drain in evacuation of chronic subdural hematomas: independent predictors of recurrence. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2011; 153:1097.
- Oh HJ, Lee KS, Shim JJ, et al. Postoperative course and recurrence of chronic subdural hematoma. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 2010; 48:518.
- Kung WM, Hung KS, Chiu WT, et al. Quantitative assessment of impaired postevacuation brain re-expansion in bilateral chronic subdural haematoma: possible mechanism of the higher recurrence rate. Injury 2012; 43:598.
- Torihashi K, Sadamasa N, Yoshida K, et al. Independent predictors for recurrence of chronic subdural hematoma: a review of 343 consecutive surgical cases. Neurosurgery 2008; 63:1125.
- Yamamoto H, Hirashima Y, Hamada H, et al. Independent predictors of recurrence of chronic subdural hematoma: results of multivariate analysis performed using a logistic regression model. J Neurosurg 2003; 98:1217.
- Forster MT, Mathé AK, Senft C, et al. The influence of preoperative anticoagulation on outcome and quality of life after surgical treatment of chronic subdural hematoma. J Clin Neurosci 2010; 17:975.
- Lindvall P, Koskinen LO. Anticoagulants and antiplatelet agents and the risk of development and recurrence of chronic subdural haematomas. J Clin Neurosci 2009; 16:1287.
- Prognostic indicators
- - Timing of surgery
- Nonoperative management
- Deciding who needs surgery
- - Acute SDH
- - Chronic SDH
- Reversing anticoagulation
- Increased intracranial pressure
- SOCIETY GUIDELINE LINKS
- INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS