Stereotactic body radiation therapy for primary and metastatic lung tumors
- Josh H Heinzerling, MD
Josh H Heinzerling, MD
- Radiation Oncologist
- Southeast Radiation Oncology
- Charlotte, North Carolina
- Robert D Timmerman, MD
Robert D Timmerman, MD
- Professor of Radiation Oncology and Neurosurgery
- University of Texas Southwestern
- Section Editors
- James R Jett, MD
James R Jett, MD
- Section Editor — Lung Cancer
- Professor of Medicine Emeritus
- National Jewish Health
- Joseph S Friedberg, MD
Joseph S Friedberg, MD
- Section Editor — Thoracic Surgery
- Charles Reid Edwards Professor of Surgery
- University of Maryland
- Rogerio C Lilenbaum, MD, FACP
Rogerio C Lilenbaum, MD, FACP
- Section Editor — Lung Cancer
- Yale Cancer Center
- Steven E Schild, MD
Steven E Schild, MD
- Section Editor — Radiation Therapy
- Professor of Radiation Oncology
- Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) is a technique that utilizes precisely targeted radiation to a tumor while minimizing radiation to adjacent normal tissue. This targeting allows treatment of small- or moderate-sized tumors in either a single or limited number of dose fractions. (See "Radiation therapy techniques in cancer treatment".)
Stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) and stereotactic radiotherapy (SRT) initially were used successfully for intracranial, orbital, and base of skull tumors, as well as benign conditions in which the skull could be used as a reference system. (See "Stereotactic cranial radiosurgery".)
The success of SRS for intracranial indications led to the development of techniques to extend this approach to extracranial targets. Stereotactic radiation therapy for extracranial sites has required significant technical advances including tumor imaging to guide radiation administration, patient immobilization, and conformal radiation delivery techniques.
SBRT has been defined by the American College of Radiology (ACR) and American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) as the use of very large doses per fraction . SBRT has unique radiobiological characteristics, which can cause dramatic tumor response, leading to the associated term "ablative" radiotherapy.
The rationale for SBRT in treating both primary non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and metastatic lung tumors, specific techniques, and early results with this technique will be reviewed here.
- Potters L, Kavanagh B, Galvin JM, et al. American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO) and American College of Radiology (ACR) practice guideline for the performance of stereotactic body radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2010; 76:326.
- Heinzerling JH, Anderson JF, Papiez L, et al. Four-dimensional computed tomography scan analysis of tumor and organ motion at varying levels of abdominal compression during stereotactic treatment of lung and liver. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008; 70:1571.
- Liu HH, Balter P, Tutt T, et al. Assessing respiration-induced tumor motion and internal target volume using four-dimensional computed tomography for radiotherapy of lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2007; 68:531.
- Lax I, Blomgren H, Näslund I, Svanström R. Stereotactic radiotherapy of malignancies in the abdomen. Methodological aspects. Acta Oncol 1994; 33:677.
- Negoro Y, Nagata Y, Aoki T, et al. The effectiveness of an immobilization device in conformal radiotherapy for lung tumor: reduction of respiratory tumor movement and evaluation of the daily setup accuracy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2001; 50:889.
- Wulf J, Hädinger U, Oppitz U, et al. Stereotactic radiotherapy of extracranial targets: CT-simulation and accuracy of treatment in the stereotactic body frame. Radiother Oncol 2000; 57:225.
- Kimura T, Hirokawa Y, Murakami Y, et al. Reproducibility of organ position using voluntary breath-hold method with spirometer for extracranial stereotactic radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2004; 60:1307.
- Wang LT, Solberg TD, Medin PM, Boone R. Infrared patient positioning for stereotactic radiosurgery of extracranial tumors. Comput Biol Med 2001; 31:101.
- Sharp GC, Jiang SB, Shimizu S, Shirato H. Prediction of respiratory tumour motion for real-time image-guided radiotherapy. Phys Med Biol 2004; 49:425.
- Schweikard A, Shiomi H, Adler J. Respiration tracking in radiosurgery. Med Phys 2004; 31:2738.
- Rowell NP, Williams CJ. Radical radiotherapy for stage I/II non-small cell lung cancer in patients not sufficiently fit for or declining surgery (medically inoperable). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2001; :CD002935.
- Olsen JR, Robinson CG, El Naqa I, et al. Dose-response for stereotactic body radiotherapy in early-stage non-small-cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2011; 81:e299.
- Rowe BP, Boffa DJ, Wilson LD, et al. Stereotactic body radiotherapy for central lung tumors. J Thorac Oncol 2012; 7:1394.
- Haasbeek CJ, Lagerwaard FJ, Slotman BJ, Senan S. Outcomes of stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for centrally located early-stage lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol 2011; 6:2036.
- Nagata Y, Hiraoka M, Shibata T, et al. A Phase II Trial of Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy for Operable T1N0M0 Non-small Cell Lung Cancer: Japan Clinical Oncology Group (JCOG0403). Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2010; 78:S27.
- Timmerman RD, Paulus R, Pass HI, et al. RTOG 0618: Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) to treat operable early-stage lung cancer patients (Abstract 7523). American Society of Clinical Oncology 2013 meeting.
- Chang JY, Senan S, Paul MA, et al. Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy versus lobectomy for operable stage I non-small-cell lung cancer: a pooled analysis of two randomised trials. Lancet Oncol 2015; 16:630.
- Grills IS, Mangona VS, Welsh R, et al. Outcomes after stereotactic lung radiotherapy or wedge resection for stage I non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 2010; 28:928.
- Rusthoven KE, Kavanagh BD, Burri SH, et al. Multi-institutional phase I/II trial of stereotactic body radiation therapy for lung metastases. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27:1579.
- Milano MT, Katz AW, Schell MC, et al. Descriptive analysis of oligometastatic lesions treated with curative-intent stereotactic body radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008; 72:1516.
- Milano MT, Philip A, Okunieff P. Analysis of patients with oligometastases undergoing two or more curative-intent stereotactic radiotherapy courses. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2009; 73:832.
- Hof H, Hoess A, Oetzel D, et al. Stereotactic single-dose radiotherapy of lung metastases. Strahlenther Onkol 2007; 183:673.
- Hara R, Itami J, Kondo T, et al. Stereotactic single high dose irradiation of lung tumors under respiratory gating. Radiother Oncol 2002; 63:159.
- Hoyer M, Roed H, Traberg Hansen A, et al. Phase II study on stereotactic body radiotherapy of colorectal metastases. Acta Oncol 2006; 45:823.
- Kelly P, Balter PA, Rebueno N, et al. Stereotactic body radiation therapy for patients with lung cancer previously treated with thoracic radiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2010; 78:1387.
- Kilburn JM, Kuremsky JG, Blackstock AW, et al. Thoracic re-irradiation using stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) techniques as first or second course of treatment. Radiother Oncol 2014; 110:505.
- Parks J, Kloecker G, Woo S, Dunlap NE. Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy as Salvage for Intrathoracic Recurrence in Patients With Previously Irradiated Locally Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Am J Clin Oncol 2016; 39:147.
- Reyngold M, Wu AJ, McLane A, et al. Toxicity and outcomes of thoracic re-irradiation using stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT). Radiat Oncol 2013; 8:99.
- Shultz DB, Trakul N, Abelson JA, et al. Imaging features associated with disease progression after stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for stage I non-small-cell lung cancer. Clin Lung Cancer 2014; 15:294.
- Kimura T, Matsuura K, Murakami Y, et al. CT appearance of radiation injury of the lung and clinical symptoms after stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for lung cancers: are patients with pulmonary emphysema also candidates for SBRT for lung cancers? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2006; 66:483.
- Dunlap NE, Yang W, McIntosh A, et al. Computed tomography-based anatomic assessment overestimates local tumor recurrence in patients with mass-like consolidation after stereotactic body radiotherapy for early-stage non-small cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2012; 84:1071.
- Zhang X, Liu H, Balter P, et al. Positron emission tomography for assessing local failure after stereotactic body radiotherapy for non-small-cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2012; 83:1558.
- Henderson MA, Hoopes DJ, Fletcher JW, et al. A pilot trial of serial 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in patients with medically inoperable stage I non-small-cell lung cancer treated with hypofractionated stereotactic body radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2010; 76:789.
- Timmerman R, Paulus R, Galvin J, et al. Stereotactic body radiation therapy for inoperable early stage lung cancer. JAMA 2010; 303:1070.
- Stephans KL, Djemil T, Reddy CA, et al. Comprehensive analysis of pulmonary function Test (PFT) changes after stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) for stage I lung cancer in medically inoperable patients. J Thorac Oncol 2009; 4:838.
- Voroney JP, Hope A, Dahele MR, et al. Chest wall pain and rib fracture after stereotactic radiotherapy for peripheral non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol 2009; 4:1035.
- Dunlap NE, Cai J, Biedermann GB, et al. Chest wall volume receiving >30 Gy predicts risk of severe pain and/or rib fracture after lung stereotactic body radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2010; 76:796.
- Andolino DL, Forquer JA, Henderson MA, et al. Chest wall toxicity after stereotactic body radiotherapy for malignant lesions of the lung and liver. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2011; 80:692.
- Forquer JA, Fakiris AJ, Timmerman RD, et al. Brachial plexopathy from stereotactic body radiotherapy in early-stage NSCLC: dose-limiting toxicity in apical tumor sites. Radiother Oncol 2009; 93:408.
- Timmerman R, McGarry R, Yiannoutsos C, et al. Excessive toxicity when treating central tumors in a phase II study of stereotactic body radiation therapy for medically inoperable early-stage lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24:4833.
- Senthi S, Haasbeek CJ, Slotman BJ, Senan S. Outcomes of stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for central lung tumours: a systematic review. Radiother Oncol 2013; 106:276.
- TECHNIQUES FOR LUNG TUMORS
- Patient positioning and immobilization
- Image guided treatment
- Tumor motion control
- Treatment planning
- PRIMARY NSCLC
- Nonsurgical candidates
- SBRT in surgical candidates
- Randomized trials of SBRT versus surgery
- LUNG METASTASES
- Peripheral and apical lesions
- Proximal lesions
- Lung metastases
- SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- Primary non-small cell lung cancer
- Lung metastases